Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do I do? need to get inspection, need driveshaft...but

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jakeslim, Apr 6, 2003.

1. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

Ok big problem... I have a d44 upfront and a 12 bolt in rear. I also have a D60 sitting pretty in my garage until I get my 3/4 rear. I need to get k5 inspected and I need longer driveshafts for current setup(6 inch). I have a 203 with a fixed rear transfer yoke.

1) can I buy a one ton shaft(s) that will fit the d44 and 12 bolt now, then also work on the d60 and 14 bolt when I get it in?

2) if so, will i need to change yokes? ujoints? both? need part numbers if you have them.

3) if not, what would you recommend?

Thanks for the help

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    1) can I buy a one ton shaft(s) that will fit the d44 and 12 bolt now, then also work on the d60 and 14 bolt when I get it in?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes. Just use a conversion ujoint on the axle in the back. I converted from a 10 bolt front to a d60 and it used the same joint. I'm not totally sure if the D44 and D60 are the same though.

[ QUOTE ]
    2) if so, will i need to change yokes? ujoints? both? need part numbers if you have them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Napa part # for my conversion u joint was 447. 1350 on one and 1330 on the other. There is another # for a conversion joint but not sure off the top of my head and I'm thinking that might be the one you need for the 12 bolt yoke.

[ QUOTE ]
    3) if not, what would you recommend?

Thanks for the help

[/ QUOTE ]

I would get the shafts and just swap the ujoints on the axle end like I mentioned untill you swap axles. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

thanks Wayne. I am going to order the one tons. Is there an issue with length of the d60 and 14 bolt though? Is it possible for the shafts to be too long when I switch to the bigger axles? Just wondering.

4. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

I doubt there will be that much difference to worry about. I ran 4" lift on the stock shafts with 1 ton axles with no problems.