Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do i do now?

Discussion in '1982-Present GM Diesel' started by agrezy1, Jul 28, 2003.

1. agrezy1

agrezy1 Registered Member

okay finally got the heads off my 6.2 every cylinder is cracked between the valves what do i do i got one estimate of 500 to repair my heads anyone have any luck with repairs or should i find another set also the engine has 200.000 miles on it am i throwing money away with that many miles it ran good up till this point any suggestions would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. edeslaur1

edeslaur1 1/2 ton status

You can repair the heads or find a nice used set of 6.5 (I hear they work) heads to go on it.

Nebraska junkyards seem to have a plethora of diesels. Lots of rust and wide open spaces where diesels make sense. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

If you can swing the $$, thedieselpage.com has a good group I belong too. Much smarter folks than I there.

3. mirage

mirage Registered Member

I haven't bought anything from them, but here are some heads for $305 each:
    http://www.rebuiltdiesel.com/html/remaned_heads.html

Also, there's some info on head cracks on The Diesel Page that discusses cracks between the valves and how to repair them.

Definately a good place to belong to, saved my burb from a tow the other day :-D

-Mirage

4. DieselBurb

DieselBurb 1/2 ton status

Try Frederick Service in Effingham, KS (1-800-280-4621), ask for Roger. I had to replace a head on my 6.2 and he had them in good condition, machine shop verified for $225 plus freight. He says that he has tons of parts for diesels and 4x4's.

5. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    okay finally got the heads off my 6.2 every cylinder is cracked between the valves what do i do i got one estimate of 500 to repair my heads anyone have any luck with repairs or should i find another set also the engine has 200.000 miles on it am i throwing money away with that many miles it ran good up till this point any suggestions would be great. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey I personnaly don't see any problem in fixing a head if it's a reputable shop that knows how to do it right, but at that price, I don't know.
    I have an engine that I am parting out, and you can have the heads of it for a nice price.
    If you are interested, drop me a PM.
    Shipping shouldn't be too bad you are somehow close /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Actually you might be able to get them shipped cheap with this guy:
    CA to Oregon and back shipping