Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do i do...transmission is bad....i think

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by epurdy2005, Jun 13, 2006.

1. epurdy2005

epurdy2005 Registered Member

well i just bought this truck last week...82 k5 with a 4" lift and big tires..I noticed it leaked tranny fluid....Well my g/f decided she was going to move it today and I'm pretty sure it was just about all out of fluid..she just moved it in the yard and then she said it wouldn't go.

I got t here and its only going into reverse now......took the pan down and theres bits of metal in it and the filter and it looks like this clear hard plastic...I dunno what that is....i'm going to clean it and try it again but i bet its gone.

So I don't know what to do....I've heard I never want to have to work on a transmission. A. Costs too much and B. is alot of work.....ANy tips out there???? I have a 77 impala with the 350 transmission also......Could it go in there? I'm pretty down about this:( ANy help would be appreciated.

2. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If those bits of metal are steel (try a magnet) then its not good. If they are aluminum, and the pan has never been off, its probably casting flash that has settled in the pan(somewhat normal) You got a tranny shop close by that could look at the pieces?

3. epurdy2005

epurdy2005 Registered Member

there was a pretty good pile sitting on the filter and bits in the pan.....I'll try the magnet though.........Almost looked like specks of copper almost too