Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do I do with the Beast?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 89K5, Dec 4, 2000.

1. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

OK guys, I got a problem. I love my K5 but....
    I have a 4" Skyjacker system in and 35s. I recently moved, now I have to travel 65 miles to and from work. Some days 65 mph, other days stop and go the whole way, thats hard on the beast. I've had it lifted for almost 3 years and its now higher than ever (I'm soon to be 37, ouch!)
    Help me decide what to do. Should I put it back to original height, change it to a 2" and 33s, or sell it (I have a tear in my eye) and buy a pickup. From a $$$ point of view, the lowering it makes more sense than spending $350+ on a new pickup.
    If I go to stock lift, whats the largest tires that will fit?

THANKS!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

This is just my 2 cents, why don't you buy yourself a beater for work?
    You can usually find a reasonably priced commuter car that'll pay for itself with better gas mileage and save your Blazer for the fun stuff. I couldn't imagine lowering my Jimmy. I drive mine daily and for years had a lousy commute, I didn't think it was any harder on my Jimmy than any other vehicle I've had, 'cept maybe for gas mileage [​IMG].

Rene

[​IMG]

3. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i agree with trustyk5 just buy a cheep beater 4 work dont get rid of the beast. just ask yourself would you be happy with anything less? i know i wouldnt just my opinion

s.smith 77blazer lookin 4 mud

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Keep it lifted and buy a cheap beater like everyone is saying. You wont be happy with it once it is lowered!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

5. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

I'm 40 and wouldn't drive anything BUT a lifted 4x4. My daily driver is a 6" lifted '60 GMC Sub 4x4. My weekend and sometimes daily driver is a 12" lifted Suburban. My commute is 30 miles. Deal with it!!!

ken

6. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I also have a healthy commute and I bought a base model Chevy S10 pickup for 12000 bucks a few yrs back and now it's paid off and I still have my K5!
    Keep your rig they way you like it and buy a commuter!

72K5[​IMG]Led Zeppelin[​IMG]Rock ON![​IMG]
    http://www.burt4x4.coloradok5.com

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

How about designing a hydraulic suspension that can adjust the truck from stock to 6" lift just by "hittin' switches" in the cab. That way you can just keep your big tires and your commuting tires on two different sets of wheels and swap them out for the weekends or whatever. :)

But seriously, you should look at what you are spending each month on gas and big tires compared to the most efficient vehicle that you could stand to drive and then see how that compares to the payments on that vehicle. Plus, you should get an insurance break by moving your K5 from "commuter" status to "occasional" or "pleasure" status and you won't need much insurance on your econo-vehicle, right?

"All right...who keeps squirting this oil in my driveway?"

8. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Blue85!!! That guy keeps coming by and squirting my driveway too! If you catch him let me know!!! LOL!!

Buy a beater!!!

Don't you buy no ugly truck!
    http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com

9. Woodman89

Woodman89 Registered Member

Get a fun beater like a used cop car or a muscle car. Who cares about mileage. If you have to drive 65 miles you might as well be having fun right?

10. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

You can ship it to the Bay Area, California and give it to me! I will give you a old bike in the backyard for it!

If it ain't a Chevy, don't raise it up!

11. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Go for the beater. Or trade the K5 to me for my 86 S-10 Blazer 4x4. Hey, it's great in the mud at stock height!!! Haha. Good luck, bud!

[​IMG]http://www.ncclassics.com

12. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

My '73 is on Swampers, the Flowmasters are loud and gas mileage is super sucky so I got a daily driver car. Bought an 87 Monte Carlo for $500 and never looked back. I drive the Monte about 80% of the time.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

13. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Yeah, look for an old beater thats in OK shape like a Toyota or Honda or some POS like that that will run a long time and be cheap.

90K5

14. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

65 miles!!! Can't you use your blazer to make a shortcut? J.K.

Get a Honda. 35/36 mpg and they last forever, plus a better ride.

15. 89K5

89K5 1/2 ton status

I could make the trip more fun by driving over all the cars.
    The more I think about it, the more I agree with everyone. A beater is the way to go.
    THANKS!

16. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

I concur totally with the beater theory!!!!! But get one that gets the best mileage, you want to spend your money on other things then gas I would think. So don't get a muscle car to drive 65 miles, get a standard shift honda that gets 40 miles to the gallon..........js

17. Mudfreak

Mudfreak 1/2 ton status

I've got a 89 s15 2-wheel drive ,rusty as all hell that I would be willing to trade you for. It's got a 4.3 and get good gas mileage. Seriously by a used beater truck, I got mine for 50 bucks and have logged over 20,000 miles on it with hardly any problems. "Tin flyin in the wind"

18. drifter

drifter Registered Member

DONT SELL!! , I agree with the getting a beater crowd, I am 39 (soon to be 40!!) I still love driving my blazer around.

Life is grand in K-5 land![​IMG]

19. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

i agree with everyone, get a beater. but i am leaning towards woodmans suggestion...get a musclecar.
    "any vehicle will get you from A to B, but only a special vehicle will get you there with a smile."

Knife.
    knife.coloradok5.com