Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do i do with this spindle sleeve on my front dana 44?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Silverado4x4, May 6, 2001.

1. Silverado4x4

Silverado4x4 Registered Member

I am changing the ball joints on my dana 44 and i need to know waht to do with these sleeves that go in the top ball joint hole. Do i just replace them with the new ones that came with the new ball joint? thanks

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

If the ne sleeves inner hole is off-set, they are alighnment sleaves and you will need to alighn te thing when you get done. Regardless, use the new sleeves and get it alighned after. From what I remember, torque the sleaves to 15 ftlbs, orque the lower (bigger) ball joint to 80 ftlbs, torque the upper to 60 ftlbs (anyone that knows, please correct me on the torque specs, but those specs should be close) Don't forget to lube up the spindle needle bearings on the 8-hole spindle, theese things always get ignored when rebuilt.

Twiztid

3. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I just did this on my 44.Install your knuckle onto your axle.Torque the nut on the lower loint to 80ft/lbs.The adjuster sleeve that come with my ball joints had no off set.Install it over the upper joint and torque it to 50 ft/lbs.Now,you take a fish scale ,put the hook in the hole where your tie rod end goes and pull.It has to be less than 25 lbs pull.Mine was more so I only torqued the sleeve to 40ft/lbs and that fixed it.Now install the nut on the upper joint and torque it to 100ft/lbs.I dont know where you could get the socket for that sleeve. I ended up making one. Good luck

Proving once again that man CAN live on beer alone

4. sluggo45acp

sluggo45acp 1/2 ton status

I got the socket for the sleve from the snap-on guy.

[​IMG]IF EVERYTHING WORKS IT AINT A REAL TRUCK[​IMG]
    [​IMG]