Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do i do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sunnyc123abc, Dec 1, 2006.

1. sunnyc123abc

sunnyc123abc 1/2 ton status

So there is this little trailer, (made using the back part of a truck frame with what looks like a 14 bolt ff axle under it) in the alley behind my house, and its been sitting there for about a week. It looks like somebody dumped it there. The guy that lives across from where the trailer is, said that he thinks sombody dumped it there too. Should i take it? What if somebody stole a truck with that trailer attached to it and dumped the trailer there? Will i get in trouble or something if i take it?

2. makovai

makovai 1/2 ton status

part it out :haha:

I wouldn't touch it, but thats my opinion. Everytime i even attempt to do something i shouldn't i wish i hadn't. so now i just keep my nose clean.

3. Metrodps

Metrodps Strange but nice guy Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

push it onto your property. Then after 30 days contact the DMV ask for the ROs name to notify them it is on your property. Then either they claim it AFTER they PAY you for STORAGE, If it is not claimed its yours!

Closest advice I can give you to telling you to take it. This is just slightly in the grey area of the law. But safest way. Of course you mention it to the local old cop that someone parked it in you drive and it isn't in way so you want to see if anyone comes and gets it in a day or two incase they had problems. :)

4. sunnyc123abc

There is no license plate on it though.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Wonder if I should do this in my neighborhood . We are in a county Island , someone moved the next street over , left a 90's shortbed single cab dually 454 there . Its been a month , but the truck sat for 2.5 years before they moved out , I want to claim it before someone like supersize75 does . Think I am gonna have to call the sherriff and report it abandoned and get the paperwork going . They actually jacked up the front end so it dodn't like like the tires are flat , its sitting on a palm tree stump :thumb:

6. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Should be a VIN on it somewhere. DMV issues VIN stickers for trailers here. Look on the frame, front end, outside, usually. If there's no sticker or plates, the DMV has no way of proving who owns it, so YOU could bring it in for an inspection and make it yours.

-- A

7. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

If you have to ask.......................:deal:

What you want to do is called theft, which, in case you don't know, is against the law. Do the right thing, brother. Call the cops and report it. Remember, that trailer belongs to someone. How would you feel if you found out somewhere down the road it belonged to a guy who used it for work in order to feed his family??? Give your head a shake, man!!!!! :shame: :shame:

Nice. A cop giving you advice on how to steal something. How disappointing.........:surepal: :surepal:

8. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

sounds like you might call the police and ask them to come check it out, tell them you are willing to dispose of it if they cannot locate an owner or if it wasnt involved in any crimes... then if they give you the 10-4 goathead on it, do it... if not, buy a 14bff for 150 bucks and its a lot less hassle than bail...

9. bandit4369

bandit4369 Registered Member

I have to side with Makovai and CanmoreK5 on this one. I'd like to think K5 er's have a higher moral ethic. Also look at it this way, How would you feel if someone stole something of yours and what would you do to them when found out who did it.

10. Metrodps

Why thank you! :bow:
    And whats the difference than a towing company doing the same? I did tell him to tell the local cop he had it on his property. Oh well no one on here has ever taken a pen or oil or a screw from work? If you did you all have stole ..... I am sorry if you felt it was wrong to state a legal way of how the system works.

In case you missed it I am retired due to being shot in chest so I am not a cop I am a ex-cop. :doah:

As to what to do only you know what is right and will do what you want. None of us here will make your mind right for you. So with all that said anyone else who has a problem with what I said feel free to PM me and we can discuss it like a true brother and not in public!

11. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i would leave it in close proximity of where its at, easily accessible by the owner, but move it onto your property. if in 30 days it doesnt disappear, by law, its abandoned. then you can take it from there.

12. sunnyc123abc

Well its gone, the parking inforcer came and called a tow company to pick it up. I asked him if I could take it, and he said he isn't authorized to do that, and i would have to bid on it at the towing company. oh well.

13. scooter122983

scooter122983 1/2 ton status

bid on it.

14. Metrodps

:haha: