Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do I have? Help!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by det45, Jul 3, 2000.

1. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

I have a 89 K5 and I don't know what type of front/rear differentials it has. Both diffs have 10 bolt covers. Also did the 89 blazers come with posi and how do I know what ratio it is. Last but not least, there are wierd noises coming from my rear axle, a popping noise from a standing start up to about a twenty foot roll then it goe's away. Then it returns once I slow back down to a stop. (U-Joints have already been replaced) Also it's worth noting that the popping noise doe's not appear until I have driven the truck for a while. (One more thing)....If the rear differential axle is on it's way out, where can I get a new one with the right ratio (without getting hosed) please help........Det45

2. OhioJimmy

OhioJimmy Registered Member

Look inside your glove box door and it will tell you everything you want to know on the options list taped to the inside of the glove box, mine had everything I wanted to know on it. Worth checking anyway.

If you say you haven't been stuck you're lying or was it you'll go blind, hmm

3. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Inside the glove box is the codes for what you have. And I don't remember the codes [​IMG]. But do a search in the forum and you'll find the codes for what you have. Someone gave me the codes but I forgot them. But chances are you have 3.42 gears and the Gov-Loc, seeing how I also have an 89.

89 K5 Silverado

4. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

GU6=3.42 thats the only one I remember. Oh yeah G80 is Gov lock. If you have a manual then its probably 3.08 and if you have a auto its 3.42 or 3.73 It should be 3.73 if you have the tow package but I have it and 3.42s so the best way is to take the cover off and look at the numbers stamped on the ring gear and diovide them and you get the ratio.

5. rem7600

rem7600 1/2 ton status

Option List in glove box should have the codes...

G80 Posi-Traction Limited Slip
    GT4 3.73 Rear Ratio

This is the way mine listed when I looked it up...
    If you need the other codes let me know and I'll
    dig up the site I got them from.

[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>REM7600 - '89 Jimmy</font color=purple>

6. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

G80 and GT4 Sure enough! I have the same codes. Does that mean that I have posi in the front and the back and 3:73s front and back? Thanks for the help.....

7. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

Since the sticker in my glove box is long gone. Anybody know the axle codes that are stamped on the tube?? mines 3 letters.....GFX or something.....then G60, not G80. its an 83 jimmy, I was told it was 3.42's because it is a diesel..it has overdrive. don't think it has a tow package because of the chinsy bumper hitch it has on it........help please....JS