Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do i have

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by buffblazer, Mar 10, 2005.

1. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

i have a 86 k5 custom deluxe. it has a standard 4 speed and has skid plates on the transmission and a skid plate covering the gas tank. it has no air or power anything. is this a rare blazer? im only asking because all of this came from the factory like that and i have not seen many other blazers (especialy not 80's style) with standards or skid plates. i live in oklahoma but im originaly from colorado and that is where i bought it at. so is it a good find?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its "rare" in a sense. Your right not a whole lot of 80s blazers have standards, tons have skidplates though. My 84 was stick. So they are out there. Beat this, I have an 89 3/4 ton Suburban with a stick and spare tire, no other options.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

4 speed wasnt std equipment,m the saginaw three speed was std equipment

manual brakes and such isnt uncommon, see it all the time especialyl 67-70 and 81-up

very common

power brakes was optional, just like p/s, a/c, auto trans, etc,.

auto trans with most engien combos*

in some cases it was tricky when ordering drivetrain combos*
    some ratios and trannies werent available with some engines, etc, and in certain models and years,

good luck

4. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I had a '78 K5 with a factory 454 and a 465/205.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Big Block was never available in a K5...unless a dealer did it.

My 81 Jimmy was a full load truck, AC, PW/PDL, PS, PB, tilt, power rear glass, silders in the hard top...all the goodies. Factory ordered with an SM 465. Definitely an oddball. I often see the stripped models with 4 speeds, forestry service K5's are about 80% 4 speed trucks. Most didn't even have AM radios, back seats or consoles.

I'd say a 3 speed manual with a column shift and a straight 6 would be a reare find. I have never seen one of those in person.

Rene

6. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

on the first gen K5's, the hard top, passenger seat, rear seat, and console (i think) were all options. also, i'm pretty sure all 4x4's (67-72) came with lockouts, even though they are listed on the sheet as an option.

7. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a 73 "Cheyenne" model still had all the original paperwork in it so I contacted the lady who bought it orginally still at the same address. She told me she ordered the cheyenne package because it came with the passengers seat, hardtop, and auto. She also got A/C. From what she said there really wasn't anymore options than what she got. The manual tranny was listed as a different model not as an option. Very nice lady she was glad to see her blazer had a good home.

8. gone huntin

Well, my Blazer was a hand me down from my uncle who purchased it new while my dad and I were with him. It might've been a dealer install, but he didn't have 'em do it. It was sittin' in line on the lot with all of the other trucks.

9. buffblazer

buffblazer 1/2 ton status

ya this blazer did not have a console in it when we bought it my dad was saying he thought it was a forest truck that was ordered but never picked up but it had blue and white two tone. do the forest service paint the blazers when they get them or does gm paint them for them? it came with a radio so maybe they wanted to listen to some tunes. it had a 305 in it but we put a 350 in it would a 305 be powerful enough to climb the rough rocky mountains???

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hard to say 'when' fleet type K5's get their ugly paint jobs when new. My friend bought a K5 that was originally bought by the local power company. At the time the company colors for their fleet was a really disgusting baby blue. His truck was baby blue everywhere inside and out, so it looks like GM did it for them.

Most of the truck is Charcoal grey now though...

A 305 would do just fine off road.

Rene

11. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

this is a interesting topic. its too bad my 91 silverado only has a few rare stock items.

mine came stock with auto mirrors and 36in Super swamper iroks.

12. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

'78 K-5 p/w, p/s, p/b, tilt, clock, 400 sb, dual exhaust, NO CATS, NO CHARCOL CAN, & NO OTHER EMISSION, except EGR valve, & heat riser vent. All from the factory.

13. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The 83 tub I just 86'ed was a Custom Deluxe . Heater only truck , but it did have a power rear window at one time .

The DD 83 has power everything and the only thing that doesn't work is the cruise , which I removed ( but saved stuff ) :D

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

James, I'd be real interested in the VIN number on that factory 454 Blazer, just out of curiosity...:D

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I'll bet that "factory 454 K5" is as rare as the "14 bolt front axle".:haha:

We sure would like to see the VIN though or at least have someone run it and post up the results for everyone to see. :thumb:

It wouldn't be the first time i've seen something wierd that was ordered and actually made.

16. JEBSR

JEBSR 1/2 ton status

is it rare

My 87 (v10) as they called it came with the 465 4 speed, no air, all manual accesories, and also had the skid plates on the transfer and fuel tank.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  17. gone huntin

That truck's been gone for 12 years, I wish I did still have it. I know the nay-sayers are gonna say "how convenient", but it did exist it even had the "454" badge in the grille. The only thing I can figure is it was ordered that way by someone and the deal fell through.