Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do i need for solenoid relocation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Nonesuch, Sep 4, 2001.

1. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I want to relocate my solenoid up in the engine compartment like a Turd's. I have heard of people doing this using the motorcraft solenoid but I was wondering what else I need and how? Thanks for the info!!

2. 85m1009

85m1009 1/2 ton status

You need to make a jumper on the starter from the battery terminal to the start post on the solenoid. Run a battery cable up to the post on the new solenoid and then reroute your ignition wire to the new solenoid start terminal. Not much too it.

<font color=green>Steve Frisbie</font color=green>

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

The easiest way to do it is to just get the kit that Summit sells. Otherwise, just get any ford style remote solenoid. Then you run a positive cable from the battery to the left terminal on the new solenoid and attach any other wires that need to be constant 12v. You have to take the wire that now actuates your on-starter solenoid and route it to the small terminal on the left side. Then run a battery cable from the right side of the new solenoid to the starter to where the old battery cable went. At the same time, you need to rig up a jumper from that cable to the solenoid terminal on the starter so the starter will engage the flexplate/flywheel. Thats about all there is to it. I recommend getting 0 or 1 gauge battery cables for the entire setup since you're changing things around anyway. You should be able to get some good ones at Napa or Pep Boys. Thats about all there is to it.

73K-5: TBI350/TH-400/NP-203/14FF/D44
    Topless, doorless and no tailgate!
    Fresno, CA