Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do I need to buy for this fit?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Yohinan, Apr 5, 2004.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Just to be better safe than sorry please let me know what part's I need to buy or should buy. I want to put 15 X 10" rims on my 95 Chevy Burb 4x4 1500. From what I have been reading I will/may experience minor rubbing. What I want to know is what part/part's can I buy from Off Road Design to prevent tire rubbing in both front and rear. Also I want to get rid of my Suburban's draggin arse since it sits a little lower in the back. I dont want to spend to much money which is why I dont want to go with a smaller suspension lift. I prefer to stay away from body lifts also. Are there some new springs I could buy front and rear that will fix my woes so I can fit some 33 X 12.5 X 15 Mud Terrains? Maybe a shakle flip in the rear? What are your recommendations? Thanks for the help. John

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Well since your 95 is an IFS rig then new springs for the front wont work. Short of getting a lift kit there is no way to lift the front end short of cranking up the torsion bars which I personally dont like because of the increased stresses on the front end and the decrease in ride qualitiy. Now for the rear end you could prob put in a Zero-Rate to solve the saggy tail problem. They are like a 1" block except the bolt to the spring pack like an add-a-leaf. Im sure Stephen will give you way more advice than I can... /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

With the IFS, you're pretty limited in what you can do. A Zero rate for the rear (like a 1" block) will help get rid of the butt sag, but there isn't much to do with the front. a 1" body lift may be worth looking into but I don't know if that will clear a 33" tire. Fender trimming is pretty cheap....
    Honestly, you don't have a lot of options without spending a decent sum on it. A couple inches of lift is what you need but with the IFS, that can run you over $1K easily.

4. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

How about this one. Your 4" shackle flip in the rear with a 1.5-2" lift in the front via torsion bar adjusting key. Any negative thoughts on this one? Let me know and thanks again. John

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I don't think you're going to want a 2" lift from the torsion bars, the problem you run into is droop travel in the front suspension. If you jack it up without modifying it for more droop travel, you're going to get a harsh ride because the suspension won't be able to fall into a hole at all. I don't know if you could just modify the droop stops or if it's too involved, but that's the problem with twisting the torsion bars up.

6. Yohinan

Yohinan 1/2 ton status

Sorry for the confusion. I dont plan on wrenching on the torsion bars to provide lift. There are some people out there that sell new torsion bar adjusting keys. "Basically they are cast with the socket at a different index than the factory keys, allowing a taller front end adjustment." I dont have to crank on the torsion bars for this just replace the keys. Hope that clears things up. John

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Sorry for the confusion. I dont plan on wrenching on the torsion bars to provide lift. There are some people out there that sell new torsion bar adjusting keys. "Basically they are cast with the socket at a different index than the factory keys, allowing a taller front end adjustment." I dont have to crank on the torsion bars for this just replace the keys. Hope that clears things up. John

[/ QUOTE ]

so basically, you're going to install a part, to do something, that you could do for free without the part. in my experiences, in order to clean 33 12.50s on 10" rims requires at least 3" of lift (which you are not going to get reliably out of torsion bar adjustment, keys or no keys) and some minor trimming.