Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do I need to convert to a Dana60?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TX Mudder, May 10, 2001.

1. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

I am arranging to buy a Dana60 from a ck5 member. We've agreed on a price, so now I need ot figure out what all I need to buy.
    I currently have a 8-lug 10-bolt up front. I have ProComp braided Stainless Steel lines. Will I need to buy new stainless brake lines or is the banje the same on a 10-bolt?
    WHat about the drag llink? I have a Superlift dropped drag link. Will it bolt right up or do I have to buy another drag link?
    What about the swaybar? I have an ORD swaybar disconnect. Is it the same for the d60?
    I'm ot converned about driveshaft - I run an unlengthened stock shaft with a 6" lift, so the extra driveshaft travel will be appreciated.
    I already know I will be regearing my 14bolt to match, but I had been planning on 4.56 or 4.10 anyway so this is no big deal. perfect reason to buy a detroit anyway.
    Anyone have an opinion on master cylinder? I have a 3/4 ton MC in there now with the rear disc brake kit. Stops great. With the bigger rotors/calipers do I need to buy a 1-ton MC?
    Also, what should I do with my wheels? I have pretty new 8-lug 15" wheels with tires already mounted. I have heard I can remove the backing plate on the d60 and it should allow me enough room to mount the 15" wheels. Who has personal experience with this? What is your backspacing? I have black RockCralwers from 4WPW, 8-lug 15". I really don't want to buy 16" wheels and tires.
    Anything else to think about? Appreciate any input.
    -- Mike

2. Bigd

Bigd 1/2 ton status

just got doing this on afriends blazer.He used the FWPW black 8 lug 15 inch rims that have 2 3/4 inch backspacing.They fit but he had too slightly grind the outer most part of one caliper just barely.But the other cleared.So we didn't take much off the one caliper at all.Didn't remove any thing from the frontend.As it's on;y the calipers that touch.

3. TX Mudder

TX Mudder 1/2 ton status

Did he have to special order thatr backspacing or is that the standard backspacing for the black rockcrawlers? Just wondering because I did not ask for anything special when I bought the wheels, just 8lug 15" so m8ine would be whatever the standard backspacing on those rims are.
    -- Mike