Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do I need to do before I install a 6" lift

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by BIG B., Mar 12, 2003.

1. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

What do I need to do before I install a 6\" lift

Just bought my 87 K5 silverado 3 days ago and it is 100% stock. I want to install a 6" lift, and I want to know if I need to do any thing to the front end or rear end before I do so. If someone would be nice enough to lead me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

Re: What do I need to do before I install a 6\" lift

step 1: fill out your profile with as much info about u and ur rig as possible.

step 2: give us more info on how you plan to use your rig... what size tires you plan on running... what kinda terrain you wanna take it in etc.

its hard to give advice without the above info. Im sure plenty of us will be able to give ya lots of great advice once we have more to work with. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Well, first of all I'd like to welcome you to CK5. Befor I answer your questions, I need to ask a few myself. What kind of use do you plan for your truck ??? Will you mostly be on the streets, mudding, rock crawling, ... ect ?? How big of tires do you plan ??? What transmission does your truck have ?? I'll give you some back ground on what I'm doing and why. I have a 1976 K5 Blazer that came from the factory with a 400 cid engine, TH350 transmission, NP-203 transfer case, and a 12 bolt/Dana 44 combo with 308 gears. I've lifted it 6" but havenn't bought the big tires yet. (yes, looks goofy with the small tires) . Anyways I got in a hurry to get the lift in and went with add-a-leaf and blocks in the rear. I really wish I would have waited till I could afford the shackle flip and leafs for the rear. Larger tires require larger breaks, and lower gears. (Lowers gears so you don't burn up your automadic transmission) Well, I've been gathering parts for the last few months as I can afford them. I've got a set of axles from a 3/4 ton pick up (Lower gears and bigger breaks) ORD 4" Shackle Flip kit, need the new 2" or 3" lift springs for the rear. I plan on 38" tires. Lots of guys like 1-Ton axles. I want them myself, but I just can't afford a Dana 60 front axle at this time. You can read through posts on this site. There is a ton of information about anything you can think of for these trucks. Best advice I can give you is to take your time researching everything befor you get started on it. I wish I would have befor I got way ahead of myself.

4. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

To be a little bit more informative for the sake of my subject. I recently purchased an 87 K5 blazer from the original owner, straight body no rust or dents. The engine is a 350 cid auto. The transmission is the TH700R4. It has an NP208 transfer case. Front and Rear axle are GM corporate 10 Bolt @ 8.5in, 1.28 axle dia. and 28 spline. I want to install a 4" or 6" lift. With 15x10 wheels and 35" tires. Now, to do the lift and the tires do I need to do anything to my axles or brakes? Also me being new to the 4x4 world what is a Dana 60? Overall this newbie just wants some good advice from someone who knows what they are talking about.

Thanx
    Big B.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Also me being new to the 4x4 world what is a Dana 60?

[/ QUOTE ]

ROTFLMAO

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

New to the 4x4 world? Don't you mean, new to this earth?

DO A SEARCH!

6. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

I MAY BE NEW TO THIS SITE BUT BELIEVE ME I AM NOT NEW TO THIS WORLD. IF YOU HAVE EVER HAD THE GREAT HONOR OF SERVING YOUR COUNTRY YOU MIGHT KNOW WHAT I MEAN. HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE.

7. 89GMCSuburban

89GMCSuburban 1/2 ton status

Damn, 84... a little brutal there?

Anyway, hopefully this doesn't turn you off of the site. We have a few yahoos, but there's some great advice to be found.
    Alright, those tires and the lift will work perfectly. With a 6" lift kit, your driveshafts will likely have to be lengthened. When you lift the truck, the height increase requires you to lengthen them. When you do the lift, call a driveshaft shop in your city, and ask them what measurements they need to lengthen your driveshafts to the right length.
    You will have to do the rear one, but the front one, if you don't need 4x4 and are short on money, doesn't need to be on for the truck to drive around.
    Brake lines will need to be extended, or you can buy extended brake lines that are stainless-steel braided from a place like www.4wheelparts.com
    The only thing to think about is the gearing. With the taller tire, the engine and transmission will have to work harder to get you moving. You can re-gear, but it can be expensive. It depends where your priorities are.
    OK, the Dana 60 everyone talks about is an axle made by Dana/Spicer that has much more strength than the 10 bolt axles our trucks come with. The number signifies strength or size. For example, the Dana 44 is weaker than the Dana 60. Unless you crawl on rocks a lot, you don't need a Dana 60. The 10 bolts do just fine for lightly driving around town.
    To sum it up, the only things that HAVE to be done are the driveshaft lengthening and longer brake lines. Any questions, re-post or just PM me. Cool? Enjoy the project!

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    IIF YOU HAVE EVER HAD THE GREAT HONOR OF SERVING YOUR COUNTRY YOU MIGHT KNOW WHAT I MEAN. HOPEFULLY YOU HAVE.

[/ QUOTE ]

I most certainly have and I'm very proud of it. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Damn, 84... a little brutal there?

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, all in fun!!

10. 89GMCSuburban

Yeah, but you once didn't know what a Dana 60 was...cut the guy some slack, at least he's trying to learn unlike other people.

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Welcome to CK5, Big B, please don't let one rude post jade your opinion of our little slice of the web. Lot's of great people here and lots of great tech. I did a quick search on your question because I remembered making a post a little while back that I thought would be useful to you, here is the link - http://coloradok5.com/forums/showflat.php?Cat=&amp;Board=garage&amp;Number=673799 My reply that is in that thread is basically my opinion of what a perfect all-around 6" lift system would consist of. It would work in just about any situation unless you're planning on running real high horsepower and doung mainly mud bogging. In that case the springs would be a bit soft. Otherwise the setup that I detailed would be great offroad and ride better than the stock suspension on the road. If you have any questions after reading that then please don't hesitate to ask, if you want you can also reply directly on that thread and it will come right back up to the top of the first page. Good luck with your buildup! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif</font>

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, but you once didn't know what a Dana 60 was...cut the guy some slack, at least he's trying to learn unlike other people.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I should have said is, it's not only a 4x4 only thing. You see them all the time in drag racing...plus they came stock in the back of tons of '70s Ford pickups. Hell...pick up a 4wd magazine.

13. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

If you're not going to be doing the hard core rock crawling, you probley won't need a Dana 60, but still doesn't mean ya won't WANT one. I know I don't really need one yet, but man o man, do I ever want one. For 35" tires and a 700R4 transmission, I'd guess something like 4:10 gears for the transmission to be happy (Not overheat). Getting a set of 3/4 Ton axles is a good way to get the gears, a stronger rear end, and better breaks for a reasonable price. I personally really like the 14 Bolt FF rear axle. I think it's one of the toughest axles you can put under your truck. Plus if you ever want a Detroit Locker, they're only like $300.00 for the 14 Bolt FF. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I won't tell you what to do with your truck, but I'd recomend getting the 3/4 Ton axles and doing the swap at the same time you do your lift. Makes it so much easier then regearing both front and rear axle. It does mean buying 8 Lug rims though. And at 6", I had to have new drive shafts made. So if you do everything at the same time, it's alittle easier then taking it back apart to do something else later.

14. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I'll agree that picking up a set of 3/4 ton axles is a good inexpensive way to get some gears that are better for larger tires. You likely have 3.08s right now, possibly you have gears as high as 3.73s, but you can find a set of 3/4 ton axles for $300-$500 in good shape with 4.10 gears and have the better gears and a stronger rear axle at the same time. COnsidering that regearing your stock axles would cost over $1000 and the 3/4 tons are as close to a bolt-in deal as it gets, it's a pretty good deal.

The front single wheel (as opposed to an exle from a dual rear wheel truck) D60 is kind of the holy grail of the fullsize chevy 4x4 world. They're very strong, very heavy axles that can withstand alot of abuse. To be honest, until you get into pretty hard core offroading with tires larger than 37", it really isn't neccessary. Don't turn it down if someone wants to give you one, but don't feel like you need it with 35s. A D60 in good condition with the single-rear-wheel hubs will run anywhere from $1000 to a bit over $2000 Anything under $1000 for a complete one is a great deal these days, at least in CA.</font>

15. 89GMCSuburban

I get Car Craft and I can put the number of cars that had Dana 60's in them on one hand. Did he own a 70's Ford truck? Who knows, but I know lots of people that look at me strange when I ask if it's a D60 when they have one. Ya just gotta realize some people in this world, who apparantly aren't as godly brilliant as you, don't know what it is. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif All you had to do was tell him what it was, but you laughed instead. What a polite thing to do...last thing we need is this place to end up like the Pirate board.

16. 89GMCSuburban

Oh yeah, for 35's, 4.56 or even 4.88 is a better idea. I ran 31's with 4.10 gears for a while and it had great power.

17. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Okay, I'm no expert on gearing. Sorry if I brought that b!tch in that nobody likes, you know Miss Information.

18. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Oh yeah, for 35's, 4.56 or even 4.88 is a better idea. I ran 31's with 4.10 gears for a while and it had great power.

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> But 4.10s would be a damn sight better than 3.08s. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif </font>

19. BIG B.

BIG B. Registered Member

I JUST WANTED TO SEND OUT A BIG THANKYOU TO EVERYONE WHO REPLIED TO MY POST. I AM GOING TO REVIEW EVERYONES ADVICE AND PUT SOMTING TOGETHER. ITS GOING TO TAKE A WHILE THOUGH, I HAVE TO SAVE UP SOME CASH. HEY 84, NO HARM DONE. EVERY BOOT SHOULD GET A LITTLE HAZING. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. 89GMCSuburban

So true...my buddy had 39" Mickey's with 3.08's. Went through 4 transmissions before he decided to go with what he thought was better...3.73. Ouch.