Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do i need to do to get a title?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by k5freak44, May 26, 2006.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Our school had a 91 alfa romeo donated to our auto tech class, and as a graduating senior somehow we got this car for pretty much nothing.

My question is, what do i need to do (in texas) to get a title for this thing.

We dont have ANY papers on it, and we dont know the previous owner because it sat in our classes junkyard for about a year.

Thanks guys

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

should be able to do a DMV search on it. i would run it through the PD first, and make sure its not stolen. it probably isnt, but if you were to show up at the DMV trying to get a title for a stolen car, you might end up taking a trip to the PD anyways.

3. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

go to the court house and file for a lost title

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

you cant file for a lost title for something you've never held a title to.

if you can find the last registered owner you might be able to get them to cooperate in finding a title. however, if they still hold the title (on the books), they can come and get the car since it is legally still theirs.

if the school filed the title in their name, which does happen in alot of cases, you might be able to get them to cooperate to. :dunno:

5. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Finding the old owner is the best way. The DMV should have that record. Or see what the rules for a "kit" car or a rebuild are and apply like that.

6. resurrected_jimmy

resurrected_jimmy 1/2 ton status

kit cars in tx are a real pain to title, I would avoid that route at all costs. I had to go through getting a title for my GPW that way since one had never been issued and the guy I bought it from never had the govt. bill of sale.

7. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

most cars donated to schools in my state of new york are not alowed to ever be regestred as it was a tax write off and or factory test/ or damageed in shipping ride. good luck.

and one time we had a sweet late 90s ext cab short bed 2x4 chevy pickup with factory tinted black and chrome wheels donated. only thing wrong was frame slight tweeked from inproper chaining from car carrier guy. :eek1: :doah:

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

we had a '72 LeMans 350/350 BEAUTIFUL car. fell off of a train car while being unloaded, slight tweak to the stub, not even enough to notice while the car was sitting on level ground. sits there with like 32 mi on it, and no VIN plate.