Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do i need to do to make this thing strret legal?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by OKIEnVA, Feb 11, 2006.

1. OKIEnVA

OKIEnVA Registered Member

i alsways take my top off during the summer, and this yr after reading the write up on taking the doors off. i want to, but i dont know what i would need to do to make it street legal if i had the doors off, some guy told me that the reason jeeps can is they have a foot well kinda thing that keeps your feet from coming out, and that id have to relocate the side mirrors, i live in virginia now, and was wondering if anybody has had to relocate the side mirrors, what they do, i was thinking bout maybe drilling holes in my fender and mount them on the fender, but i'm hoping theres a aftermarket kit for that sort of thing. but any feedback would help thanks.

2. 1985_K5_Silverado

1985_K5_Silverado 1/2 ton status

3. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

Actually its to keep items from falling out of the jeep. :D

4. roadnotca

roadnotca 3/4 ton status

Like Heep drive train parts?:haha:

5. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

Move to texas. I ran a crewcab with no doors quite a bit. Called local police, sherif and DPS to see if there was any law against it and they all said nothing. Got pulled over about a week after phoning everyone above and he said have a nice night.

6. Citizen Rider

Citizen Rider 1/2 ton status

Ran without doors on my 95 silverado for 2 weeks. No one said a thing, just alot of wtf looks. i really liked it. The breeze, more room, and alot easier to get out. Not as much to mess with when you get somewhere. Just always wear your seat belt!

7. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

You really need to look through your state's laws and vehicle codes......every state can be different. Here in Ohio I reviewed everything and there is nothing that specifically mentions doors, door lips, etc.... The only thing it states (specific to Ohio, of course) is that you have to have at least one rear facing mirror (the interior windshield mirror is what I use).

I don't put that many street miles on my Blazer, but I do keep the doors off of it about 8-9 months of the year for the last couple of years. It's get driven through town and down the local interstate for a few miles several times and I have passed several state patrols and local law with no issues.