Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do I need to do to stuff 38.5's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekquistk5, Jun 11, 2005.

1. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Currently I can fit 35's with no trimming.. I Have a guy offering me arround 600 bucks for my 35's right now, and I am looking at 38.5" boggers,38.5 Tsls or 37" Iroks. Is 38.5's to big for just standard front axle placement, or do I have to purchase zero rates to move it forward to clear the firewall? Also If anyone has pics of their rig on 38.5's compaired to 35's to help me decide that would be awesome. So What do I have to do to clear 38.5's and convince me to buy one of the sets of the tires I listed. Thanks guys

2. stizkidz

stizkidz 1/2 ton status

I upgraded from 35s to 37s. The impression that I get is that it made a big difference. 37s are pushing it on a 10 bolt. I only have a 4" lift and I had to trim alot to get em to fit and they still rub under full flex. Things that I failed to consider was power and gear ratio. These things were adequate with 35s but with 37s I definitely run out of power and gear now (its noticable).

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

on 35s...

[​IMG]

same rig/lift on 39.5s...

[​IMG]

front end is 1" further forward than stock via off-set drilled spring perches. If you don't want an extra inch of lift (6" is enough frankly, I have closer to 4.5) then just drill them perches and save the co$t of the zero rates. Trimming is your friend.

AFA the tires go, IIRC the 38.5 Bogger is a skinny bastage... you probably don't want that. Skinny tires + heavy rig = stuck a lot. The smaller (sub-42") Iroks have pretty shallow tread depth... to shallow IMO. That leaves the TSL... go for it.

j

4. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

I have 38.5x14.5x16 with about 9" of lift and cut out flares. When wheeling, I always crush the passenger side front fender at the firewall. Mostly because of the width of the tires.

DSC00608.JPG

DSC00700.JPG

DSC00599.JPG

5. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I was thinking the 38.5x15x15 bogger, either that or just get some cheap 16" rims. I know 38's will be pushing it with a 10blt but as soon as my g/f's dad's junk yard opens I'll be replacing it. ;) I dont mind carring spare shafts and I can replace em pretty quick

6. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Dillon Colorado, Hang'in in the mountains. Renting
    I don't think you can fit them without cutting. I have 38.5x15.5x16.5's.
    I have a 4" supension and 3" body lift and I still hit the firewall.
    I need to move the axle forward this summer for sure.
    As for the 10B's, you can get away with it if your very light on the skinny pedal.
    Don't bounce it and don't lock it, keep it open until the change or you will need to keep several spare shafts.

BTW, nice trucks guys. I never saw a baby blue K5 like that.
    Here's my 38.5's-
    [​IMG]

7. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had to do some trimming to the fenders and inner wheels...
    The rear just needed a bunch too with a 6" lift..to fit my 38.5x15 boggers.

[​IMG]

8. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

4" lift with axle in stock location. Tires are 13/38-16 TSL's on 16x10 rims. I get very light rubbing on the firewall at full stuff. These 38's are probably a tad smaller than the typical 38" listed tire, and there is no way I could fit anything bigger without relocating the axle forward or more lift.

[​IMG]

9. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

my buddy has 6" suspention and 3" body here, and almost brand new 38.5 16 16.5. just a bit of cutting on the front.

[​IMG]

10. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

Push the front axle forward 1", run 38.5x11's and it wont take much trimming to get them to fit well. They will bite harder, fit better and be less stressful on that 10b front. I run my Q78's with zero trimming and only 2" of body lift, and they measure over 35.5" tall with less than 1/2 tread remaining. When they were new they were over 36" tall. They fit well and work awesome.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. eclipse

eclipse 1/2 ton status

39.5x18 boggers on 16.5x9.75 rims, I only got to run them for the weekend, but I only rubs in a little on 4in suspension, 3in body, bushwackers cut outs. They would rub the bushwackers on the front, and the right side rubbed the bottom fender on the back. Most of the day I spent on flat ground in mud pits, but We went up some back mountain trails in the dark and did fine, didn't seem to rub anywhere real bad. I think alot with 38.5 will depend on your wheels. I know if I had these boggers on 16.5x12 or a 14. that I would rub real bad.

image 078.jpg

image 037.jpg