Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do I need to do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BowtieRed, Apr 22, 2003.

1. BowtieRed

BowtieRed 1/2 ton status Author

I have some new gears coming in, and cannot get access to a dial indicator for a week or two. Pinion preload is set andall i need to do is set backlash. I MUST have my truck this week and cannot afford to have it professionally done. What should I do? Just set it as close as i can? (The gears need to last a maximum of 1500 miles, probably only about 500.) What will happen if i do this? Will things be ok as long at preload is ok and there isn't an absurb amount of slop? Help.

2. georgiared84

georgiared84 1/2 ton status

Do you have the marking lube? Set it as close as you can and then use the lube to check your pattern. That short of a period of time might not affect the gears much. I've been running a set for a while that way (25k miles) and still no probs. I had to put them in out of town since my bearings failed and the shim on one side cracked. I got a shim pack from the chevy dealer and set it as well as I could. I changed the fluid once when I got home and haven't done anything since. I would recomend resetting it correctly when you do get the indicator. I haven't fixed mine because it's an old 10 bolt thet I'm planning on replacing anyway.