Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do i use to clean tranny parts?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MICHIGAN BLAZER, Jan 23, 2001.

1. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Got a question for you guys. What should i use and how should i go about cleaning transmission parts? I mean the internal stuff. Is there some big 5gallon bucket cleaner mix i can make or am i gonna need to invest in some brake cleaner and starting fluid stock? I figure there's alot of stuff in there and it's all got to be cleaned right? What do you guys do to clean your stuff?

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I went down to O'Reillys and got a gallon of laquer thinner (about $5) and a old coffee can to clean most of mine up with. The housing I took down to the local car was and used a can of Gunk and a power washer to get rid of the crud. I used an air hose to blow it all out afterwards and let it dry good. As I was putting it back together I had a pie pan filled part full with tranny fluid that I would soak the part in prior to putting it back into the tranny.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

You will find that the inside of the tranny if it has had a good filter will be very clean. ATF has a high detergent amount in it. What does need to be cleaned you will be able to wipe out then rinse it with some brake cleaner. The pan and the bottom of the valve body will the the worst but nothing is going to be caked like the inside of a engine. There will be some piles of clutch material in the pan but will come right up.
    When I rebuilt mine I pulled out all the drums and #1 piston pulled the valve body with it upside down on a Workmate with a catch pan. Wiped the inside down with a couple paper towels after the last of the fluid dribbled out. Starting at the top (it's upside down so the top would be the valve body) I hosed it down with the break cleaner and blew it out with some compressed air. Check for any grit that may be left.
    When you assemble it you will be pre wetting the clutches and will get some ATF running back out so keep the catch pan in place.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

4. Gopherkiller

Gopherkiller 1/2 ton status

I have used mineral spirits(paint thinner,) to clean auto trans parts for years. Just blow them dry with compressed air. GOPHERKILLER

5. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

That's right. You'll definately want some Engine Degreaser for cleaning all of the junk off of the case before even opening it up. It's only about $1 a can. Then go ahead and get several cans of brake cleaner. Even if the insides aren't that dirty, brake cleaner works great because it dries quickly with no residue. It's also handy because of the high pressure stream that is perfect for blasting bits of metal, dirt or clutch material from all of the parts.

Compressed air may be the best way to blast everything clean and dry, but it doesn't work for little light weight parts!

Oh yeah, like the other guys said, dip everything in ATF as you reassemble it. The easiest way to do the rebuild is to rebuild it to original (stock) specifications. If you want to do modifications to the shift characteristics, it may be better to do that afterwards, in case somehting gives you trouble.

<font color=blue>"As of tomorrow, employees need security cards for building access. Pictures will be taken Wednesday and cards received in 2 weeks."</font color=blue>

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Tried calling a local tranny shop and seing if they have a parts washer that they will run the parts through for $5-10? Not sure if they run cases through or everything, but in reality, if they are dried off quickly, they won't rust. At least I'd do the case that way...its hard to get the crud off the case. Paint thinner seems to work better than lacquer IMO...lacquer thinner I believe also leaves a film on the parts, whereas paint thinner seems to leave no residue.

Dorian
    My K5 and Chev/Olds tech/links page: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html>http://yeagerd.home.mindspring.com/index2.html</A>

7. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I would be afraid of carting a lot of the internals around town. It's important to keep everything in perfectly sorted order. You might consider taking the empty case to a tranny shop for the cleaning. They should have a steam cleaner or a solvent bath for this purpose.

<font color=blue>"As of tomorrow, employees need security cards for building access. Pictures will be taken Wednesday and cards received in 2 weeks."</font color=blue>