Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do i use?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by JIMMY76, Mar 12, 2005.

1. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

I Was Changing My Clutch In My Little '87 S-10 2.5 Four Banger So I Figured I Would Change My Rear Main Seal Since I Thought It Was Leaking Oil But It Wasn't It Was A Plug On The Back Of The Motor There Is 3 Freeze Plugs They Are Fine There Is This One Screw In Type Plug That Is Leaking But I Cant Get It Out It Has A Square Internal Type Head On It I Tried Hex Wrenches They Dont Fit I Hoped My Ratchet Would Fit But 1/4" Too Small 3/8" Is Just A Little To Big I Went To Lowes, Sears, And Pep Boys Nobody Had Any Square Headed Tools That Big All I Could Find Was Up To 1/4" Does Anyone Know What To Use To Get It Out And Where To Get It. Its Leaking Pretty Bad I Would Like To Pull It Out And Reseal It

Thank You

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

go buy a cheap 3/8" drive extension bar (preferably without the little ball things to keep your sockets attached) and grind it down to fit.

3. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

Yeah Thats What I Figured Thanks

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

what he said!

Yep,a 3/8 extension,or you can grind down an allen wrench,they are hard and stronger...those threaded plugs can be a bear to get out--at the machine shop I had to use a hand impact driver(the kind you hit with a hammer)and heat the block up with a torch to get them out--most of them are tapered pipe thread,and have the "never comes out again" green or red locktite on them--a few I never did get out using the tool I made,the square thing got so booggered,I had to weld a nut to them..:crazy:

5. JIMMY76

JIMMY76 1/2 ton status

Yeah I Broke The Extension Acouple Times So I Gave Up