Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do u guys do after a mud run

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jimmy1984, Feb 8, 2007.

1. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

i just went out to our local mud ditch thing after a hard rain and somehow out of all my friends i ended up being the first one to go threw and i ended up getting stuck. My passenger side was 3 inches under water and i ended up having to be pulled out. To add insult to injure my Jimmy was pulled out by a bronco.

I have carpet in my truck and i was just wondering what i can do to keep my carpet from getting all moldy and my cab from rusting. And if i should spray my underside/engine with WD40 so it dosnt rust. or any other important things i need to do after a salt water bath. thanks

my truck is a 1984 GMC jimmy no lift 33" cooper tires

2. Brians89K5

Brians89K5 1/2 ton status

I sank my mitsubishi mighty max once. It had 3 inches of water in it... What I did was take the carpet out and leave it in the sun to dry and then I drove the truck sideways on the driveway and jacked up the high side of the truck to drain the rest out.... It would have probably been easier to use a shop vac but I coudn't stop lauging at all the muck coming out of the truck. Then i let it dry and re-assembled everything. No nasty smell and my truck was cleaner after as a result. Nice thing about the balzer is the front carpet is a seperate peiece from the back carpet. G'luck man.

~Brian

3. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

and leave the windows down for a couple weeks to aid in the drying process.

4. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

Thanks Brian and Jason

well i got all the water out i was just wondering if the moister is going to do bad stuff to my cab i just shop vaced all the water out and thats about it. So you guys dont think i need to wd40 my engine?

5. Brians89K5

I always take my truck down to a pressure washer and blow the mud off. Where ever there is mud it could hold moisture against the body eventually lead to body rot. But you live in California! What are you worried for!! lol

~Brian

6. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

Ya i do live in california but its raining pretty hard up in the bay area so i wont be able to let my truck dry out for a few days

And Thanks a bunch for the info this was the first question ive asked on CK5 and you guys came through realy fast

7. Brians89K5

No worries boss, this site is FULL of useless... ahem I mean usefull knowledge... :D
    ~Brian

8. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

where do you live in the bay area? its definatley been raining hard this week.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2007
  9. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

and don't worry, it won't take long at all for you to fall to the ck5 addiction.

10. MuddinManny

MuddinManny Banned

Hey Jimmy,

If you're a serious mudder, then you are going to want to consider removing the carpet entirely and either:

A. Herculine the entire inside, which will basically waterproof to an extent, the inside, and give you a good seal, and an easy surface to clean. See BIGBLAZE433's post. He has pics of it done.

or

B. Install a rubber fitted matt that can be removed, washed and reinstalled.

You are also going to want to make sure all wiring at floor level is sealed up so that water cannot short anything out. With a rig like your's, checking MUD depth and the standing water is imperative. You're not going to want to swamp your rig. It's not fun.

As far as what I do after a MUD run, I find cleaning the rig to be just as much fun, if not better than the MUD RUN itself. Yeah, I know, that sounds cooky, but it's true. The looks you get driving down the road with a truck covered in MUD is priceless. Take the time to clean everything well. If you have a house, get an old style side to side motion water sprinkler and put it under the rig and turn it on. About 2 hours later, most, if not all the MUD, should be removed and sitting in clumps in your driveway/lawn. CLEAN your engine compartment. MUD and engines don't mix. Don't leave your engine covered in MUD because it will cause overheating and electrical issues. Make sure you also get the radiator cleared out of MUD to help keep your cool!

Follow what the guys said above about cleaning out the cab. That was good advice. Don't forget to grease, grease, grease, and WD40 door joints, locks, etc.

Above all, go out and have fun. Nothing beats a day spinnin' in the MUD!

Manny

11. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

that is the best use for a sprinkler I have ever heard.

12. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Didn't say if you had a garage or a carport or any type of coverage. If you do for times when it's raining or wet humid or whatever put a small space heater in the cab and turn it on. Crack all the windows. The heat will help dry it out and the cracked windows will give a space for the humid air to escape. If you'd rather have a terrarium keep the windows closed:haha:If it's 80% or more humidity outside just having the windows wide open it will still take a loooong time to dry out. So it's best to use a heater.

In any event you should pull out the carpet and any padding. A shop-vac is great for any standing water and to initally suck water out of the carpet after you've pulled it.

13. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Personally, the most important part you said was ""salt water" which is way harsher on metal than fresh water.

Do what everyone said to clean up, but personally, i woudl avoid any salt water wiht my truck. Salt causes too many rust problems.....

14. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the help guys i think tonight ill park my truck in my garage and put a little heater in it and hope most of the moister gets dried up. Then i think ill just spray everything metal with WD40 and hope i dont get wet again.

15. Chevy305

Chevy305 6 Lug 14bsf Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

If you burried your truck then you are missing something really important here:

Both of your diffs are most likely filled to the max with mud or water. Change the fluid in them ASAP!!! Also it wouldn't be a bad idea to change the engine oil, tranny fluid, and t-case fluid.

16. jimmy1984

jimmy1984 1/2 ton status

is there a thread on here some where that can tell me how to change the diff fluids and the t case fluids cause that would be awsome.
    thanks

17. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

diffs are super easy, pop the covers and let em drain then clean the mating surfaces really really really realy good with brake cleaner. if you got a drip coming out of the bottom clean it and catch the puddle before it gets there again, the rtv the bad boy up and bolt it tight. retourque the next day or quickly thereafter

18. Jason4x4

Jason4x4 1/2 ton status

the diffs, you pull the covers and silicone them back on, trans case should have a drain and fill plug, and if you have a standard trans, it will too.

19. lunchbox

lunchbox 1/2 ton status

on my 87 with the 208 theirs a top fill plug on the t-case and a bottom drain plug. i think its 1 1/4 wrench not sure though

20. BlaKK54Speed

BlaKK54Speed 1/2 ton status

anyone know the torque specs on the diff covers? i have chevy 10 bolts front and back i think