Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do u guys think about exo's?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by muddybuddy, Jan 30, 2006.

1. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

2. seschev3

seschev3 1/2 ton status

That looks sweet. I am going exo this spring. Build it if you are going to use it. It would be a lot of work and weight if only for cosmetics. Not sure what your use is.

3. muddybuddy

yea since it is my dd, i wanna keep the body as straight as possible (i know im a pu**y) but i wana be able to do all the trails and such, and not worry bout trees and such. also since mine is pretty tall, it would also give some additional comfort to my parents who are paranoid about flipping.

4. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

BBoy's exo is the only full width exo I have seen that i really liked. He posted on here a few times about it. Search under his user name. The tubing was really close to the body on his, and he wasn't sure if it would make contact during hard use. Thats the thing that usually makes exo's look bad is the huge gap between the body and tube. If you have the fab skills to make it look like hsi, and the trails are roomy enough for it where you live go for it.

5. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I dont remember what year it was of TTC, but I loved that white, exo tubed rig sittin on rockies, that thing looked good. The same year had tobys blazer and that little goffy thing on 44's. Sorry a little off topic but if someone has a pic of that red exo tube post it up.

6. blazd88

blazd88 1/2 ton status

I like the exo in the pic but thats the only one I have ever liked on a full size. Thats just the problem is blazers are already full size without the help of and extra 4-8 inches of width. Also weight is a concern. I am currently putting an exo on a toyota truck and that 4 banger is going to huff with all that extra weight.

7. Chaddy

Chaddy 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think exo's are only good nothing. They are too big, heavy, and if your worried about saving the body, then dont go wheelin on certain trails, tree's and rocks seem to find there way in between the tubes so your body is messed up anyway, not to mention if your tubing get's bent in such a way that your body gets pushed in with it.

8. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

im pretty sure leper did his. not a huge fan of exo but i like that one. im more of an inbetween fan, like an exo/ truggy mix. like jasons. (willyswanter)

9. koldsimer

koldsimer 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yup, Leper has a sweet exo cage. Maybe he could put up some new pics of his rig with the 40's he just put on it? I'm not a big fan of exocages on a blazer due to the width of the K5. I do know that Lepers' exo has saved him several times already. He slammed his truck into a creek bottom one time and his exo/bumper saved his truck from serious damage.

10. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Personally I think all the exos posted in this thread are ugly. Sorry Leper but yours looks far too boxy and sticks off the body too much for me. With a trend of people trying to narrow a K5 cause it is already too wide, why add at least 1.75"s off each side? The first one posted won't do much to protect the body. Looks to me like the upper bar along the bedsides runs along the upper part of the panel, above the body line. That means it is NOT the farthest part out of the body. The body likely sticks out more and is still going to rub and smack off of trees. Jason's(Willyswanter) is the best exo I've seen. But he as an internal cage as well. Most peoples exos don't go into the in the cab area, IMO without triangulation inside they would be only mildly helpful in a roll over. Just my opinions on the subject. I'd like to Exo my S10, I love tube work. But it will get a full internal cage too.

12. muddybuddy

so since i was also goin to use it to help in a roll over, what should i do? it is my dd, so i dont wanna do something too extreme, but i wana have it able to take a roll and survive for the most part...is this possible w/o huge amounts of fab work?

13. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Are we talking highway speed or on the trail? A trail flop is a teensy bit different than putting it in the ditch at 65.

As for what I think of 'em, I like them a lot, but I like the looks and function of tube in the first place. However, if you run trails that are even fairly tight, I'd stay away. My first time out I creased both doors...I'm not the greatest driver but there was just no other option. I broke a door almost completely off in Wisconsin but I was driving with my cajones and not my brain. If we drove Toy's it'd be different, but I couldn't see my vehicle being manueverable at all with an extra 2+" of width on each side.

14. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

By the time I take my top off for the year, I will have my rollbar done. It attaches to the frame,through the body, and will attach to my exo. I haven't decided if I will use tube and bolts, or some really beefy clamps I have been looking at. The attachment will go from the rollbar to the exo in 4 or 5 places. It will make the entire EXO stronger.

On the remark about protection in a roll, IMO anything that is on the outside of a truck will slow the roll/flop and offer more protection than nothing.

I wanted my cage wide. As it is now, my front tires are the widest point on my truck. My rears stick out about an inch. So if I can get my front tires through, the truck will fit. I admit that I am too wide for some areas. Some areas I will make wider. There is nothing like the sound of steel dragging across a rock. In the front of the truck the cage is tied to the front bumper. 8x8x.25 steel. That makes the cage and the bumper stronger. If you dont believe me, go see my creek diving video. I will be flopping the truck in the next couple of weeks. I will let you know how much damage I get. So far, I have one small dent on the passenger rear quarter, where the cage was the only thing keeping me from rolling over. I believe the quarter, without the cage, would have completely crushed in, and possibly got me stuck on the rock I was on.

As far as appearance goes, I just like the way cages look. A couple of Samis I wheel with have them also. The Samis, as well as my truck, are DDs. I dont want my body completely destroyed and it still be a street truck also. Plus, people are real scared to drive anywhere near me on the highway and I have still not been cut off on the road, by anybody.
    One more thing. If you get tired of the cage. cut it off and no one will ever know.

15. muddybuddy

when i go to get bumpers made, im going to see how much it would cost to have an exo made.