Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do u think? ARB vs. Eaton E locker

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BIGRED74K20, May 17, 2006.

1. BIGRED74K20

BIGRED74K20 Registered Member

I have a 74 k20 14 bolt/D60 i already have a spool in the rear but this is usually a DD. But i cant make my mind up what i want to put in the front end so im asking what would you do?:confused:

2. GM4wheeling

GM4wheeling 1/2 ton status

sorry to go off topic... but since you have a K20, i want to ask. Whats the easiest way to tell if a truck is a K10 or a K20? Bought a '74 "K10" but it's had body work and the eblems removed. I'm wondering if it may be a K20. How do you tell?? By the way it's got a 3" lift and a body lift...so it's got different front springs...

3. garlicbreath

garlicbreath 1/2 ton status

K20 would have 8 lug wheels, but the axles could have been swapped.
    As for the locker, ARB is proven tech, but more to go wrong.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Do a search over at www.colorado4x4.org I seem to recall reading that a few people have busted their E Lockers. :(

5. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

A new member that a I met on our last trail run has the E-locker in his D60. He said that he hardly ever locked it in, because it functions like a limited slip unlocked. ivie29 is his screen name here.

6. DaPlumber

DaPlumber 1/2 ton status

I like the ARB:D

2006-05-07 13-37-16_0002.JPG

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

What axles were they breaking them in though? Not that busted spiders should be an issue, but application may have some to play in that.

The Ected is looking pretty interesting though, although for a front that might not be the best choice...but in a mainly street driven truck rear axle....

8. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Sounds like you're confusing the Eaton e-Locker with the Detroit Electrac...???

The e-Locker is a 100% open diff when unlocked....the Electrac is a limited slip that converts to a full locker at the flip of a switch.

I'll have to check those threads to see if the broken lockers are Eatons or Detroits....I am planning on installing the Eaton in my D60. :thinking:

9. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I am running an ARB in my Dana 60 and 42" beadlocked IROKs. I have yet to have any issues with it.

You can't beat a selectable locker in the front. I run drive flanges so I can't unlock the hubs on the street. With the ARB, you can't tell you are locked in. But flip the switch and your good to go. I had a limited slip in the front before the ARB and I did not like it on the trail or the street. It was worse than a non-selectable locker, because it did not want to slip or unlock unless you had a tire off the ground then it would spin freely...

10. 1977k5

1977k5 3/4 ton status Vendor

I'm pretty sure you are also thinking of the detroit electrac. I have heard nothing but good things about the eaton unit and that is what I would get.

11. neverendingproject

neverendingproject 1/2 ton status

I personally dont have any experience with both, but I would choose the e-locker due to the fact you dont need air, just electricity. Its one less thing to go wrong.

12. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

No, you don't have air to worry about, but you do have all this other crap to worry about - including relays, switches, wiring, a special diff cover, ect.

I am not bashing this setup, it was actually my first choice, but I couldn't find one when I was ready for it.

[​IMG]

13. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

I saw a couple references to the Eaton unit breaking, but it doesn't seem to be that common.

Quite a bit of info on Electrac problems over on pirate though as I recall.

More options in the Eaton for axles than the Ected at this point.

14. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

DPI....

That pic is for the Detroit Electrac, and NOT the Eaton.....correct?? (The photo properties seem to indicate that anyway)

My understanding of the Eaton e-Locker is that it doesn't require a special cover....it basically just drops in like a standard locker with the exception of a couple of wires to engage the locking mechanism???

:thinking:

15. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

That's correct. Here's Eaton:

[​IMG]

16. barbastard

barbastard 1/2 ton status

I’ve got an eaton e-locker in my rig and love it. I hardly ever have to engage it and when I do it’s usually just to get me over an immediate obstacle and then it’s back off again. No noisy compressor, no air lines, no special diff. cover…very simple and VERY stout. I’ve HAMMERED on my rig and it just laughs back at me. I’ve got full 1 ton gear, 4.56’s, doubler, 39.5” IROK’s, and no issues with beating the snot out of my rig.

Long story short…I’m glad I got the eaton and wouldn’t EVER use any other selectable locker.

17. BIGRED74K20

BIGRED74K20 Registered Member

well it looks like i will give the eaton a shot then, time will only tell what happens i guess?