Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do we have to look forward to?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by '73 K5, Nov 13, 2000.

1. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I got two truck/offroad magazines off of Ebay last week from the mid 1970's and it got me to thinking when I was flipping through them. There was just so much cool NEW stuff coming out back then. Here is my opinion: new truck buyers have it much worse than new car buyers. In a HotRod magazine last year they put a '69 Z28 up against a '99 Z28. And the new Camaro won in almost every catagory including 1/4 mile times, etc. So the musclecar guys don't have much to complain about. The new cars are getting faster and nicer. What about the trucks? What would happen if Four Wheeler compared a '69 to a '99 Blazer? The new Blazer would be last in every catagory offroad...Sure the new Blazer would do better on pavement, but I don't care a whole lot about that, and neither do a lot of you guys. There is no 2 door big Blazer anymore, new trucks are going to IFS, hyped up minivans are being called SUV's now. So, CK5ers, I ask again...what do we have to look forward to?

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

2. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Socccer moms and single dads and yuppies driving these crappy SUVs thinking they are Gods and killing people by not knowing how to drive something that large! You also have all the tree huggers eventually banning SUVs and having the law require you to drive some "gas/electric" toy around that collapes if you barely touch it!!

SK-15
    J**P...it's whats for dinner!
    http://SK-15.coloradok5.com

3. talldogg

talldogg 1/2 ton status

73K5,
    Believe it or not, there's actually a major bonus to the phasing out of fullsize, two door "SUV"'s. Here's my take. With the halt in production of K5's, the ones we have become more rare, valuable, and admired. I'll give you an example. Couple years ago I had a decent '68 Camaro. Even before I had the paint and bodywork done, I would many looks, thumbs ups, and everybody wnated to talk about my car, and how they had one when they were in high school, etc. I even got a thumbs up once from a guy driving a new Viper, to me that was a great compliment. My Camaro wasn't all that, it was nice, but by no means a show car. The reason it got the attention it did was because Chevey stopped making the '68 Camaro in 1968, and killed off the first generation body style in 1969. That design was in production for only three years. If Chevy would have continued with the body style for 15-20 years, nobody would have even noticed my Camaro.
    I understand you have a '73 K5, first year of the new body style and still full convertible. I'm sure you'd rather have your '73 as opposed to an equally equiped 76-91 K5, right? Why, because of the full removeable top. So even though we are disillusioned by current auto manafacturer offerings, we are pleased with the fine examples of the "golden years" that we hold onto. I really don't think you can have the best of both worlds. If IFS was truely superior to straight axle front ends, and general consensus was that new offerings made our rigs look like dirt, we woulnd't be here. Just my opinion. [​IMG]

It's not what you buy, it's what you build!

4. rebel222

rebel222 Registered Member

Here's my plan... Right now I am a Senior in Highschool, but I plan to be an automotive or mechanical engineer. I am going to design a nice, rugged, TOUGH truck or SUV in the future. It is gonna be revolutionary. It'll be a while till I finally do it, but remember my name, so you can say you once read an online post by the guy who created this new OFF ROAD vehicle.

Logan

(It might happen)

5. JimmyDie6.2

JimmyDie6.2 1/2 ton status

here's my take....i also own a 68 camaro, yes they stopped building 68 camaro's in 68, but they didn't stop building camaros. So in the late 70s and early 80s they got sluggish and ugly, but gm persisted and now they have trans ams and z28s that are faster, safer and handle better than they ever did!!!! I also own a 66 GTO, in my opinion Gm killed that car too late. It lost its appeal after '72. GM never kept up the image of that car, it couldn't, GM would have turned it into a charger or a nova of the 80's. So did GM do the right thing when they killed off the big 2-door??? Well Muscle cars, of which a camaro is not, but goats are, were killed after they took their place in automotive history. Pony cars of which you have the camaro, firebird, mustang and even the 'cuda, evolved or died depending on demand. The demand for sport utilities is at an all time historic high, so GM goofed by limiting their selection of That type of SUV, in my humble opinion. And as for the demise of sport utlities. Its inevitable, Insurance rates, gas prices and Government intervention will do to SUVs just what they did to my beloved GTO.........js

6. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

heres my 2 cents.... suvs and trucks are turning more toward "pussy" because of their popularity. soccer moms and crap drving suvs so they are made more luxurious to make then sell better. my spanish teacher has a nissan frontier and was like "yeah it has limited slip differential" i was like "do u know what it is?" and she got all mad and crap. so untill soccer moms quit bitching about suvs not being luxuious, i got to say: suvs and trucks are made to off road, not go to soccer practice.
    i have nothing against soccer moms and stuff so no one get offended or something

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    "DONT BE PROUD IF IT AINT LOUD!"