Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do ya think you'd need. 49's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazyrc, Sep 27, 2003.

1. crazyrc

crazyrc 1/2 ton status

What do ya think you\'d need. 49\'s

I'm only running 8" of lift and plentiful fender trimming. Right now I can stuff 40" boggers, no problem. I know I would not be able to stuff these, but what do think a guy would need to clear them. I only play in the mud so full flex is not huge issue. I know gearing would suck but thats what doublers are for. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Re: What do ya think you\'d need. 49\'s

You'd need a MINIMUM of a Rockwell 2.5 ton axle front and rear. 49's are HUGE and HEAVY. The F250 in Petersens is having trouble keeping shafts on a 46. IMO, a 40 is about the most 1 ton axles can handle without any serious breakage, and that's after all of the basic goodies have been installed.

A Rockwell axle will put you running about 8-10" of lift just to clear the top loading pinion. When you go with the Rockwell, that also clears up any gearing issues you may have. 6.72's in the "diffs" will clear up any problems. Highway is a different story though, as an overdrive of some type is preferable.

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I almost agree with you except on one point. my one ton gear is holding up fine to my 44's. I have broken a couple of joints but have that fixed with a better ujoint. I had the same issue with 38's. I think the 49's would push the 1 ton stuff, but if they are built well with a little extra stuff, 35 spline outers, Chromoly shafts etc. I can keep a 44 under it I would love to try a 49!!!. It also all depends on your foot on the skinny pedal and your gearing, In the mud I would have to guess you will thrash on it so he could very well be right on the money. Anyways , just my .02

4. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

I ran 44 TSL's on my K10 with the standard 60/14 bolt combo for about 5 years but after seeing 49's in person at Indy last weekend I felt like I'd been running 35's. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif With the 49's you would definitely need MAXIMUM axle, either a tricked out 60/70 combo (I say 70 rear because 5.13's would not be enough) or 2 1/2 tons. These tireS dwarf 44's!

5. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i bet if its just mud and you're constantly spinning youd be fine on one tons with 49s as long as you never went from maximum slippage to maximum traction...

6. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

for less than the price of high end chrome moly inners and outters you could buy f/r rockwells and be done with it...

I wouldnt run 49s on anything but a mall cruiser if it has a d60.

j

7. 73k5tony510

73k5tony510 Registered Member

im running 44sand have not broken annything yet.49s seem like over kill and i dont think a 60 would hold up.i would run rockwells for something that big.looks like it might be a better mud tire than for rock crawling tire

8. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Stick with 44's.All those 49's are for is posers!

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

or ground clearance

10. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Stick with 44's.All those 49's are for is posers!

[/ QUOTE ]

49" tires are for posers, but 14" lifts aren't?

11. mudjunkie 82

Are you calling mine a poser?

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Are you calling mine a poser? Blow me!

[/ QUOTE ]

Wasn't calling anyone a poser. Simply asking a question.

13. mudjunkie 82

Well why do you feel that 14" is for posers. There are several hardcore trucks in town that have 14"+ lift and have no problems with it.all with 44's and will go through the worst muck you dish out.I run that much lift because I did not want to cut the crap out of my fenders. still have to trim them though.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

the 49s are for rocks more. More diff clearance = less dragging and more going. If I see a truck on 49s that clearing it without trimming, that to me is poser cause it won't be rocking anytime soon. But I picture them mainly on fenderless buggies crawling over rocks. Which I agree at that point just go with 52" michelins on unimogs and have sick diff clearance.

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I never said that I thought 14" lifts were for posers. Where did you read that?

I simply asked for your opinion on 49" tires vs. a 14" lift.

I personally think bigger is always better with tires, but not necessarily with lift. Then again, I like a truck with two driveshafts.

16. mudjunkie 82

The problem I have with these 49's is that for an extra 2 1/2's of clearence you will have over 44's is it worth it? now you have to regear and you can only go to a certain gearsize with dana 60's and 14 bolts. seems like a lot of problems.

17. mudjunkie 82

84 chevy,do you crawl or mud ?

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

aka why i say mog axles or rockwells. gearing concerns and strength out the window. With rockwells yuo have the weight issue. If I were gonna build a real buggy with out budget concerns it would be with 52 michelins or 49 iroks and mog axles. As for the little gains, well shaving a 14 bolt doesn't add that much clearance and yet we do it? It doesn't cost money of course but its a worthwhile mod. When you've done everything to your rig and still drag diffs then you would change your tune.

19. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not really. In mud your gear ratio doesn't really matter. There isn't any set gear ratio that works for mud. It all depends on how much torque you have, how deep the mud is, how thick it is, etc.

Of course you always want to have choices as to what gear to use, but mud is an ever changing surface to 'wheel on, unlike rocks where traction is pretty much a constant thing as long as you have your tires on the ground.

Maybe if you're just driving down the road all the time in your mud truck, gears are really important. But in mud, you just pick the highest gear that you can spin your tires in and you're good.

I only have 4.10 gears for my 38s and I'm perfectly happy. If I had more power, I'd rarely even bother to use 4 low because granny gear is always right there if you need a super low gear.

EDIT:

I run nearly all nasty muddy rutted trails. I don't crawl so that's why my opinion is different than most people on this board. I would give it a shot, but slow speed stuff just doesn't seem near as exiting as standing on the stupid pedal like I do on a regular basis.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

muds fun but I like just crawling on things. I've never gone rock crawling really and hope to beginning of next year(yeah I know way off). I'm building my K5 to be capable on the rocks but ti will also help for good trails I think I will be happy either way. The little trail running and crawling I've done I thoroughly enjoyed, even if it was slow paced.