Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do ya'll think about this suspension?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Boggy Boy, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Boggy Boy

Boggy Boy Registered Member

Found this truck on ebay, not that I want to buy it but just curious about the suspension. Do yall think it would be able to survive daily driving and trail/sand/mud???? Thanks for everyones time!!

b6_3.jpg

ed_3.jpg

48_3.jpg

2. 88sub4x4

88sub4x4 1/2 ton status

I'd think it would need a way to stop side to side movement, such as a track bar or something. most likely very unstable, and not a very good DD either. probably only good for mud bogs or sand dunes.

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Would need a panhard big time on that setup. Guess it'd be OK for the dunes, maybe for the mud. Too big IMO.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

focker stole my headliner idea. :rolleyes:

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I think its about retarded. Leaves aren't going to be good locating links on something that large. The idea of no panhard is INSANE, those springs are GOING to twist and give.

If it were linked or just leaved it would be a cool truck.

6. extremetahoe

extremetahoe 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I would think the air bags would give it some side to side stability. But yeah it wouldn't hurt to link it either. But hey I don't have to trust driving it around so what the hell.....Looks good...

7. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Well it's not much differnt than an Airleaf setup on a Big truck really of course I think they have track bars

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

they have track bars, unarched springs, and their springs are heftier...

is heftier a word?

and I just noticed the rear springs are a strange design. They have a leaf above and below the main leaf...

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

bags will provide NO lateral stability, they aren't designed for it. They are only intended as vertical suspension devices. Bags will assist in roll stability however. My buddy put overload bags on his F250, thing corners way better now. They act as a progressive overload spring in corners. The leafs will provide a SLIGHT bit of a lateral stability. Its in their nature as being hard mounted on one end, that their side motion will only be as much as they will bend or their bushings will give. However being half a leaf spring, thats half the lateral holding power since they are only mounted at one end. In the end, I bet it shimmies side to side like crazy after a good corner. My 97 C2500 has been known to do it and thats just a stock pickup on 63" springs.