Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do yall think about this?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hunterguy86, Jan 8, 2007.

1. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

I want to build a 454 for the blazer. I want to find a block and start building it slowly, then hopefully swap it in this summer.
    If I were to buy a block and build it from there how much would that run me?

I found this on craigs list:
    http://austin.craigslist.org/pts/244906431.html

Would this be something good to start with?

What years/casting numbers are better? How bout heads?

Thanks for the input.

2. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

i have a 396 true roller w/ pete jackson gear drive headers with 2 speed powerglide for 5k for sale. very very low miles and whew those rollers are sharp looking!! whooowee. pan to carb complete im 30 minutes from you too.

just drop it in and burn it up

3. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Get a set of 049 or 781 oval port heads. They are NOT the peanut port, they are the best bang for your buck, and might be able to find them in junkyards. Maybe. Check Evilbay, sure there are some there.

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

What kind of power numbers are you looking to get out of it? How do you plan to use the blazer once it's in. most of the time you can build serious power out of a small block for less money. If you just want to say "I have a big block" that's cool. go for it. If it's power you are looking for then do some research before you spend the first dollar.

5. hunterguy86

The K5 will be used as a sand/trail rider/mudder. It will be soon taken out of the roll of DD, but I want to keep it DD worthy just in case my other truck breaks down. I'm not looking for gobbs and gobbs of power but I would like to make enough that if I stomp on it on the street it will break the tires loose.

My stock 305 does well (as well as a 305 can do) in all of these rolls now but it has 217K on it now so I want to slowly start building something to replace it with.

I mostly want a BBC for the bling factor and I've always wanted a truck with a BBC since I was little.

Mostly, the goal of this post is to find what it will cost to build a BB vs. a SB in the 350 hp/ 400 Tq range.

6. b454rat

You can't match the power of a BBC. If you a stock rebuilt it will have more pwoer than a mild SBC. If your gonna build one, up the compression some, no more than 9.5, I've had good luck with Comp Cams Xtmre Energy 268, alum intake, 750 or good Q-jet, headers, and 2 1/2" duals. Had this setup in an 84 3/4 ton, 35s, 3.73s, and would roast the tires. It might be more money to build a BBC, but is well worht it in the end. If you need more power down the road, then the motor has the potential without hardcore race parts.

7. hunterguy86

What would something like that cost to do, if I found a good rebuildable core.

8. b454rat

I got lucky on my 454, it didn't need a rebuild. But had to get heads, got lucky there too, $100, but they weren't anything special. I think they were peanut port. The cam, intake and headers are all around $100, but for rebuilding the motor, that all depends on what needs to be/what you want done. It's been awhile since I had a motor built, but guessing around a grand to get the lower done. Probly more. Pistons alone are $300 IIRC. If you assemble it yourself that will save you some money, and it's not hard. Then you have braggin rights that you build it yourself. If you really want a hot motor, get a set of GM Bowtie alum heads, basically the same as the Edelbrock RPMs, Xtrme 284 cam, 10:1 comp, 850 double pumper, 2" primary's. I had this motor in my 78 Malibu, all I can say is damn. Kinda wish I kept the motor for my truck.

9. hunterguy86

Well I have never rebuilt a motor before but I want to. I have family that can help, I have CK5 and I'm good at figuring stuff out so I figure with all of those resources, I could do it.

I really just want a good reliable engine that could serve as DD but be mostly an offroader. I dont want to build a hot roder that gets 4 mpg. I want something that could spin the tires a bit but still be in the 12-14 mpg range. I realize that this a BBC and will be installed in a box with wheels and cant expect the best from it as far as MPG goes. I would think that a 454 built properly could get just as good if not better than my 305, which is only getting about 10-12 mpg.

10. obijuan

obijuan 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

a dude i know has the stock 454 in his 82 CC and he put a holley FI unit on there and he says he gets 16 avg city. 411 and 35s dont know the trans though.

11. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Im a big fan of the SBC. The power to weight ratio is what does it for me.
    You can pretty easily make those numbers with some vortec heads, aluminum intake, headers, and a good cam. Then have it be a few hundred pounds lighter then a BBC.

12. MaxPF

MaxPF 1/2 ton status

That hp & torque is easily had with a smallblock. In fact, the ZZ4 350 puts out 355HP at 5250 RPM and 405lb/ft torque at 3500. The ZZ383 makes 425HP at 5400 and 449lb/ft at 4500. The thing about that motor is that is still making about 400lb/ft at 2000RPM. Now, big blocks can easily eclipse those numbers, or you can get similar HP with quite a bit more low end grunt, which is A Good Thing. As an example, GM's 454HO makes 425HP at 5250RPM, which is comparable to the ZZ383. The difference is torque: the 454HO makes a whopping 500lb/ft at only 3250RPM :bow:. Even better is the fact that it makes around 445lb/ft at 2000 RPM, and makes over 400lb/ft from around 1500RPM all the way to 5250RPM :bow: :bow: :bow:. Both crate engines cost about the same (around $5k or so). The thing is, you can build them for less, but the big block will cost about 30%-50% more to build than the small block :( This is especially true since you already have accessory brackets and other odds and ends for a smallblock (since that is what is in your truck), while you would have to get all that stuff for the big block.

If it sounds like I have put some thought into it, it is because I am having the same dilemma. I would really like to put a 454 in my ride to replace my ailing 350, but the 350 already has all the serpentine accessories on it, I have a good 4-bolt 350 block in my shed, and smallblock parts are cheaper than BB parts. Hence, I am probably going to end up with a 383 SB unless I happen upon an inexpensive short block BB with a good crank and rods. Still, the prices on aftermarket BB heads will make you go :yikes:

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

about 100# difference, and you cant make that up with the torque the SBC gives up.

14. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Here in California it would cost about $2500 to rebuild a 454 with a mild cam. I just finished one for the car dealer here in town.

15. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I had a 350 built that puts out the numbers you are talking about for $1500.

It has no problem breaking my 44's loose.

I would love to have a BB but as others have pointed out you will spend money on stuff like brackets and accessories that you already have. A 383 makes gobs of torque and then you still have the "BLING" factor of a stroker.