Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do yall think of this subject

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by daleearnhardt01, Oct 28, 2003.

1. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Writin a paper in English on whatever I want. I decided to write about the big tobacco settlements since the whole issue makes me so mad. So are yall for or against the settlements and whats your reasons?

2. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i dont know what the settlement does... but i think cigerettes should cost $15 a pack and use the extra $10 to donate to like make a wish or toys for tots or something

3. daleearnhardt01

The settlements make the big tobacco companies pay like hundreds of billions to all the states over a period of time.

4. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

for what? Why are they giving the states money? what is the money to be used for?

5. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

big tabaco settlements are a joke.

1) the cost of them is passed right to the consumer ($5 a pack, doh!).

2) cigarettes are a LEGAL product.

3) so long as greedy politicians want the $ raked in from cig taxes, it will always be a legal product no matter how many people they kill.

4) the gov is VERY 2 faced about the issue... on the one hand they say cigs are bad and the companys "owe"... on the other hand the US gov is the biggest player in the industry. That $5 pack of cigs? about $0.25 of that 5 goes to the actual cig company. Guess where the rest goes... thats right, to city/state/fed governments.

5) any1 who tells me that "they didn't know" cigarettes were dangerous are full of crap... and i dont care if you did start smoking in 1960.

so in the end, what do big settlements do for us? well, they increase the price of a legal product, swell the coffers of corrupt politicians, and make lawyers tons of $. oh goody. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

just my 2 cents.

j

6. daleearnhardt01

Right on jekbrown /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I just wanted to see if anybody had the same views that I did. Your points kinda cleared up some confusion and my doubt on whether I could acutally write a paper on the subject. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. jekbrown

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

i do what I can. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

j

8. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

me personally i think its kinda BS to a point. Listen to the news and how many people are treated for smoke inahaltion after fires, and by smoking your doing what... inhailing smoke. It dosnt take a brain sugion to figure out that they might be bad for you.

9. jekbrown

yeah, you'd think the coughing/gagging the 1st time you try it would be a dead give away that "somethin' ain't right!". /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

j

10. daleearnhardt01

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Let's look at the other side of the coin for a minute. Let's assume the tobacco companies aren't the nice guys y'all are making them out to be.

I figure if all they sold were cigarettes made with 100% tobacco and nothing else this wouldn't even be an issue. However in the 50's some asshat discovered if you add a little ammonia and a few other things the nicotine in tobacco will hit the bloodstream about 20 times faster and harder...thereby strengthening the addictive part of the equation. The first brand to hit market with that blend was Marlboro and within months they gained a huge portion of the market share...

So the tobacco companies willingly and purposely made the tobacco product 100 times more addicting then it was in it's natural state. Then they use a guy like Joe Camel to promote a new generation of smoker (cuz the rest of us are dying ya know..)

Smokes in Canada are blended with all the same stupid chemicals, and they're also taxed to the 9's. A pack here averaged $7.50 (20 cigarettes) but the excess tax collected goes into the healthcare budget to help pay for the medical treatment most smokers will eventually need.

I think the tobacco companies are getting the screwing the deserve for the screwing they gave.

Truly if the governments cared at all they would mandate a no additives to tobacco policy. Keep tobacco legal but outlaw the additives...

Anyone ever hear of a huge problem with people not being able to quit smoking previous to the early 50's? Previous to then it was nothing more than a smelly habit and the smoker never got near enough nicotine to get as hooked as they do now.

Lastly, just because I knew it wasn't healthy didn't stop me from trying a legal product. The health aspect has never been a secret, what the tobacco companies were denying for the longest time was that it was highly addictive and the depth of the addiction is comparable to a heroin habit.

Fukk em, I hope they go broke.

Rene

12. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Well said Rene...

13. pfloydmaster

pfloydmaster 1/2 ton status

As a smoker I believe the settlement is BS. I enjoy smoking even though I know it's killing me (lol). But then again it's my personal choice. As for the settlement, most of the monies are going for state debt reduction and capital projects. Not one state can I find where the money is going for healthcare or to help us smokers quit. Hell, even the tobacco companies are showing "Don't Smoke" ads (tho I'm sure they were required to do it) but no state is using the money for the same purpose. It's BS I tell ya!!!!
    Put the money where it's needed most!!!
    JMO!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

It is all bullsh!t. So if a person gets cancer from smoking and has a right to sue the Tabacco companys, That means if I ruin my liver from drinking whiskey I can Sue Jack Daniels....Yea Sure /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

15. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

as far as how much more addictive cigs are today just look at smokers who are addicted, when they can't have a cigarette, I consider the fiening similar to any illegal drug. The crack head will take extensive measures to get his crack, the smoker will become violent to get his fix as well....
    I don't smoke, I get frustrated with smokers who have no respect for my lungs and blow smoke in my face....

in a bar, I go in expecting to be exposed to smoke as i do when I play around a bon fire...

16. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

i think its bullshit, why should they have to pay for peoples stupidity? its a fact that you can no longer hold anyone responsible for their own actions anymore..hell you can sue McDonalds for being a lardass..its rediculous, people need to fuggin man up and take responsibility for their own ignorant, idiotic decisions..

17. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

OK, I'm not going to argue that smoking is bad for you, obviously it doesn't do anyone any good, but consider this... All of the studies about smoking and the havoc they wreak on poor innocent souls is done by foundations that make money by continuing to provide more evidence that smoking kills people.

It's the same idea as with people that research so-called global warming. If they were to report back to the government the truth (which is that average temperatures are slowly rising is due to the fact that the temperature of the earth fluctuates normally and has done so for millions and millions of years), then the government would say "Oh OK, that's good, I guess you don't need this eleventy billion dollar grant to do more research next year, good luck finding another job". It would be stupid for the people to report something that would put them out of a job. I'm not saying that they do it on purpose, but come on, it has to play a role at a subconcious level at least. The older guys here should remember when the eviro-nuts said that a new ice age was coming.

Anyways, got a bit off track there on one of my little pet peeves, but the whole smoking deal is kinda along the same lines. An entire industry has popped up that is funded by the anti-smoking agenda, people throwing money at other people so that they can tell other people how to live their lives. Every one of them should go do something more productive. Smoking is bad, OK, we got it, thanks. If they actually managed to outlaw cigarettes that all those people would be out of a job and the goverment would be out a lot of money.

Little known fact - if someone dies from just about anything that at some point some doctor said in passing *might* be caused by smoking, the person becomes a smoking related death statistic. Doesn't matter if it's an 80 year old guy that dies of heart disease who smoked for 5 years when he was 20-25, if it's in his medical record that he ever smoked, he is considered a smoking related death.

18. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    i think its bullshit, why should they have to pay for peoples stupidity? its a fact that you can no longer hold anyone responsible for their own actions anymore..hell you can sue McDonalds for being a lardass..its rediculous, people need to fuggin man up and take responsibility for their own ignorant, idiotic decisions..

[/ QUOTE ]NOW THATS TELLING IT LIKE IT IS /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

right on! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. daleearnhardt01

Dang I think I got us a good discussion goin on here /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif