Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you 73-75 owners do??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by bryguy00b, Jul 10, 2002.

1. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

well for my next blazer after i get lucky enough to unloud my 84 HAHA..im going to be looking for a 73-74..i just LOVE the FULL convertable (vs the half like the newer ones)...that looks so fun to ride in and i can imagine drivin to school wiht all that wind in your hair lol..but i was thinking..do people that have these year blazers leave them in the parking lot wiht out a top? what do you do..leave it and hope nothing happens? /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Bryan

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

From a security standpoint the 73-75 is no different than a 76-91 without the top. My top is in the carport and there is absolutely nothing of any value in my truck. An alarm with ignition kill would be good.

Rene

3. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

A pickup locking tool box will fit with the top off. Thats what I have and it works great. you can ether get the one that sits on the bed rails and bolts to the rails or the one that goes between the rails and bolts to the floor. You dont even half to take out the seat mine fits between the tailgate and the seat. Youll want to put the side that opens toward the seat because on mine I have to pull the seat forward a little to open the top. But that just adds extra security if they have to jump up in your truck and figure out how to get to the latch. I havent bolted mine down yet but that's not realy a problim unless your wheeling the wight of the stuff in it makes it to heavy to pull out of the truck.

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

yea but i always worry bout punks or somethin comin up and trashin your truck or something...i think an alarm would def. be a must befor i left my truck with out the top on..

Bryan

5. 74k5inVA

74k5inVA 1/2 ton status

yeah, if somebody wants to steal my 74 then i guess they could, but they had best not take my celine deon tape /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif . I never really think about that kind of stuff, if it was stolen then the insurance company will give me 350 dollars. depreciation sucks, that's 50 dollars less than i paid for it. and haven't done anything to it really besides a new clutch. When i get it looking good though i will put an alarm with kill switch on it, but by that time cars will probably fly

6. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

also do the normal things like Alarm, Removable face plate Radio

7. ratpack7

ratpack7 Guest

You have to do the same things you do with any convertable you just have to add the trunk.

8. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I haven't locked my truck in over 5 years...and I live in an area that does not have a good rep. I came out one morning and some one had gone through my truck...but nothing was missing cuz there was nothing worth taking.
    </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    yea but i always worry bout punks or somethin comin up and trashin your truck or something...

[/ QUOTE ]
    Only someone with an axe to grind would do that...theft from vehicle and theft of vehicle are more realistic problems to worry about. Very few 'punks' would want to joyride my truck...one look at the unlabled shifters and stuff and they move on to the neighbors Honda. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Rene

9. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha yea..i probobly wouldnt be carring much stuff though..but yea..i coudnt leave anything at all sitting there thats true..would have to get a big old tool box and bolt it i guess...whatever wroks!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Bryan

10. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I'm with Rene on this one. I don't think I've locked the K5 since I got it, 4 years ago. I never have the top on and the only problems I've had are birds $h!ttin' in the bed but I just hose that crap out(no pun intended). /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif But last week I broke down and ordered a tuffy console since I plan on installing a CD player that I got for free.... /forums/images/icons/grin.gif I like to keep some basic tools in the truck but didn't want to worry about them gettin' stolen, so I bolted a 7.62 ammo can to the inner fender to store stuff in. Since I don't have any side panels, I plan on enclosing the sides with plywood and then installing a small lockable door, so I can carry extra fluids, jumper cables, road flares and other stuff that won't fit in the ammo can...... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

11. Sinful_Nature

Sinful_Nature Registered Member

This past spring I removed the interior Locking pieces, got sick of locking myself in while wheeling. Plus the driverside external lock no longer works any how.

Although I have a pickup, I run a locked box bolted to the bed (not the rail type). Keeps my center of gravity low, and keeps the box somewhat out of sight.

Never thought about a kill switch, I should look into that.

~ Russ

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

sounds cool..yea i was thinking of making custom side panals to ..and could put some extra speakers in them or something.like have custom mounts in the side panals..but i never thuogh of a compartment! thats a cool idea..! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Bryan

13. TopOff

TopOff 1/2 ton status

I keep mine stock looking... (&amp; trashed). I usually keep my radio faceplate in the center console... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

Nothing has happened yet. I live in a good neighborhood (my Blazer is the ugliest thing there for 4 miles). My work area is a different story though. Still nothing has happened. I don't play the radio loud and announce that my radio is good. I keep junk 6 x 9s in the back have some some nice seperates in the doors.

After reading some of the posts on Ck5 I am more afraid of someone stealing my driveshafts!!! thats where most of the money is!

14. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I have a 48x20x18 box bolted to the floor in the back. It's a Under bed box from a truck. It has double locks on it. It's fairly secure but a pro theif would get into it. It stops the causual walk buy and grab theif. There is a picture on the main page www.coloradok5.com The packing for the trail story is mine.
    I'm about to order a Tuffy for the front so I can lock the stereo and cell in it. Other than that a good alarm will slow a theif down but a pro it won't.

15. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

tuffy console is thw way to go!!!! you can mount yer stereo in and keep all yer lil junk safe. i've even heard of someone mounting a small amp inside a tuffy cosole /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

16. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

did you put your window permenatly into your cap?

bryan

17. shane74

shane74 1/2 ton status

I have a locking center console, a removable face plate cd player, an ignition kill (hidden) and a fuel shut off (hidden). With my 350 and 38's they aren't going to get far with the fuel that's left in the lines. Other than that, it never gets messed with. If a theif really wants our rig, they're gonna take it no matter what we do.

I also don't keep anyhting in there that would attract attention. Usually the mud, dents, and busted windsheild keeps the theives at bay...LOL!! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

18. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

im planning on building side panels on my blazer too.im also going to integrate speaker boxes into them for my rock crawlin music.haha

19. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

haha me to..i mentioned i was to a few posts up..

Bryan

20. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

got no top, got no door glass, got no stereo, but gonna have a locking center console! you ever get to the adirondacks? where do you wheel?