Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you all think of these?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stockk5, Jun 10, 2004.

1. stockk5

stockk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am still trying to decide on what tires to get.. i want 33" tires for my truck.
    i use it as a DD but also want really good offroad performance so the onroad performance can be compromised. I was looking at these..
    Super Swampers LTB's
    [​IMG]

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

I haven't heard of anyone that has used these before /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    If you want good off-road performance from interco but also want good on road performance, I'd get the SSR's that's what alot of peeple are running /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I am still trying to decide on what tires to get.. i want 33" tires for my truck.
    i use it as a DD but also want really good offroad performance so the onroad performance can be compromised. I was looking at these..
    Super Swampers LTB's
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ] What kind of off roading do you plan on doing ??? Rocks, Mud, Sand, ...ect. ??? Need to know to make a recomendation. I'm a big fan of the Ground Hawg 2's (Radials) for my on and off road K5.

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Those are probably alot more aggressive than the BFG MT KO's, but those should be good tires, and probably a little better road manners than the ones you linked.

The "good" thing (for some) is that you can run the 33x10.5R15 BFG's on a stock truck and have very little chance of rubbing, with no lift and no trimming. Lots of benefits in a daily driver there.

Just not sure if the BFG MT's would be aggressive enough for you.

5. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

a friend of mine had these on his truck, they had good on road performance, and preaty good offroad performance. they also wear like iron, he had 20,000 miles on them at about 2/3 tread. im thinking about getting some. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

6. stockk5

i am in Connecticut so there is a mix between rocks/mud and lil sand depending on where you go i am puttin on a 4" lift so clearance wont be a problem. Sorry if u guys find me annoying asking so many threads on tires! its a big purchace for me and i want to make sure i get the right ones!

7. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

we have alot of mud and sand, a few rocks way up north. they work great in the mud and sand. the ltbs are cheap too /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. stockk5

Since they are not radials, that would make them suck for on road driving right? really hard to balance? i may just have to buckle up and pay the extra for the ssr radials.

9. ugly_blazer

ugly_blazer 1/2 ton status

A problem that I have noticed with bias tires, especially swampers, is that they are a lot of times out of round, making them bounce all over the highway. That may just be with the larger ones, I had a set of 31" tsl's on an s-10 once and they did fine. I prefer to run radials on a dd that sees a lot of street use, but then again I'm a big sissy when it comes to things like that /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

10. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i lke swampers but i just bout some tires for my lift and i drive about 85% of the time right now on pavement and i got the new bfg mt kos and i got the set from 4wpw for around 680 bones shipped thats my 2 cents /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

11. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

i've got those same tires on my rig. 33x13.50x15. they are a great trail tire, but i wouldnt use them on DD.

i bought mine as a second set for going mudding. i run BFG A/Ts on the road. when i first bought them i put them on at home and drove the 50 miles to the mud pit, not fun. compared to the A/Ts they are very unstable and arent good for driving over 65mph. a little scary taking turns at freeway speeds. they also flatspot pretty bad. after being parked for a few hours it feels like your driving on square tires. they took about 14 oz of weight per tire, they probly need more but thats as much are they could squeeze onto the rim.

now i haul mine to the trailhead and swap them there. if you want them for a second set of tires, they are great. otherwise i would get a radial.if you need a swamper look at the TSL radial or SSR. i think something like a BFG M/T would be better suited to your application.

12. tree_entz

tree_entz 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    .if you need a swamper look at the TSL radial or SSR. i think something like a BFG M/T would be better suited to your application.

[/ QUOTE ]

IF you need a swamper???? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

this dude is right, one of swamper radials man.
    I've had my tsl radials because I knew (even though I didn't want it to be that way) that I would be driving on the road a fair amount. Aside from the 'wrrrwrrrwrrr' they're pretty quiet. I dont know about those bias tires, rough when you first drive for the day right? or only on bigger bias?
    for that matter maybe someone could enlighten me (not hard to do /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif): -will you see much benefit from 'airing down' radials? or is it not really effective?

13. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    IF you need a swamper????

[/ QUOTE ]

ya IF. not everyone needs a swamper, i bought mine causs i wanted the best possible mud tire(besides boggers). but if i was getting just one set of tires for my truck i would most likely get a BFG M/T for all around use. alot of situations, like sand, a swamper will want to dig down and bury your truck instead of float across the top.

[ QUOTE ]
    I dont know about those bias tires, rough when you first drive for the day right? or only on bigger bias?

[/ QUOTE ]

yep, for the first 10 minutes or so. mine never really smoothed out completely, i think they needed more weight than the tire guy could fit on them. my little 33's were damn rough so i dont think it matters if they are big or small.they do hum going down the road but i kinda liked it.

[ QUOTE ]
    for that matter maybe someone could enlighten me (not hard to do ): -will you see much benefit from 'airing down' radials? or is it not really effective?

[/ QUOTE ]

airing down any tire, even a passenger tire, will give you increased traction. i was amazed the first time i aired down my BFG A/T. just going from 32psi to 20psi was a huge difference.before i aired down i was doing doughnuts in the dirt, after i could barely spin the tires.

[ QUOTE ]
    they also wear like iron, he had 20,000 miles on them at about 2/3 tread.

[/ QUOTE ]

i dont think this is true. the rubber compound is pretty soft,softer than any other tire i've used. i wouldnt expect it to last over 15k and still have decent tread. also a radial will wear better onroad than a bias due to their construction. bias are better off road tho, the sidewalls are much tougher and will resist cuts better.

if you gotta have a swamper get the tsl radial. i think they are about 30 bucks more than the LTB, but well worth it if your going to be using them on road alot. you'll be much happier with them i think.

14. mtn. burb

mtn. burb 1/2 ton status

I say the more it looks like a tractor tire the better off you are. Implement tires!

15. whiskey bent

whiskey bent Registered Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I say the more it looks like a tractor tire the better off you are. Implement tires!

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif