Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you all think

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by ProJunkRacing, Feb 8, 2006.

1. ProJunkRacing

ProJunkRacing 1/2 ton status

I am thinking about trading my 94 dakota for a tow rig that will be a little better than my dakota
    so it is a 94 Dakota 110,000 on it
    318 Auto 4x4

For a
    90 GMC K2500
    Western Plow Frame
    Dual Batteries
    Light Bar, EXT Cab Long Bed
    4x4
    1 ton rear susp
    here are pics
    and i already heard jeremy

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

IMG_0575.JPG

IMG_0576.JPG

IMG_0577.JPG

2. ProJunkRacing

3. ProJunkRacing

some more

IMG_0596.JPG

IMG_0597.JPG

IMG_0601.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0604.JPG

4. ProJunkRacing

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

1 ton rear suspension? On a rig with a TBI 350, 700R4, and 14 bolt semi floater, that has seen a hard life? I'd worry about the rear and transmission. I'd just sell your DD and find a better tow rig man. Oh and unless there is some serious upgrading the rear suspension is light duty 3/4 ton and the brakes are as well. So its a 7200GVWR rig. Judging by the rust on everything, there has been no upgrading or even great maintence.

6. potionmaker

potionmaker 1/2 ton status

He must do some serious wheelin'. That thing's got a depth finder:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

checked blue book, on the low end of your dakota and judging by the condition of that truck(said 10,000 miles when I meant 100,000 but whatever), that truck is worth about $1,000 less than your Dakota.

8. ProJunkRacing

old school tv baby lol but springs were said to come off a 1 ton

9. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

i bet that thing has some front end problems to you can see it has new ball joints and it looks like the ball joint is not at the best angle still

10. ProJunkRacing

well say the dakota has problems too and just can't seem to sell it it is a friend of mine i am trading with granted he just bought 3 days ago still sitting at the shop

he did have a hell of a time getting the ball joint out it sat the guy that owned it it needed starter he put it in and backou out of driveway ball joint broke he pulled it back in and it sat he took starter right back and sat until sold

11. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

are you set on it? I think you could do much better for a tow vehicle, but that is my opinion. Like I said, it looks to be horribly maintained. Anyone who treats the inside of a truck like that doesn't spend a whole lot of time under the hood or under it.

12. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

I agree with everyone, its in really rough shape. A 3/4 ton would be fine for a tow rig, but i would only get an 8lug version. Regardless of teh apperance/rust present, plowing is HARD on IFS front ends, espically a light duty one. Not sure what diffrences there are between that and the 1/2 ton front.

I say skip it, and look for a 8 lug 3/4 or 1 ton.

13. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

tow rig... 700R4... seriously, did your parents have any kids that survived? :screwy:

if you're dead set on a 5.7/700R4/14SF truck... bring me $3500 and i'll sell you mine. it looks a hell of a lot better, has been better maintained than that truck, and has never been abused with a plow.

14. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Hell 5k I'll sell him a Vortec 5.7, 4l80e, 14sf, 8600GVWR truck.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Ehhh.....

I walked away from a 89 1 ton 4x4 with a plow AND a 454 motor,in similar condition,about a year ago..could have bought it for 1500 bucks!...

That truck is beat,its been heavily salted, and will rot out in a few years,and be a hoar to work on.(the bolts will be more like rivets!)...maybe if it was sandblasted right away and painted it would survive,but its a gamble..one thing going for it is the extended cab,more people seem to want them..personally I think they are too long for plowing,but I do like the extra room behind the seat...interior looks pretty rough..I'm sure the floors have at least some rot,judging by the photos..the biggest PITA on trucks of that vintage are all the steel fuel,brake,and tranny lines..its likely they are ripe and ready to pop,and its a suck job to fix them,and costly..fuel lines are rubber/steel combo's factory,and cost over 100 bucks each!..

Dont know what to tell you..if your Dakota isn't much better,they are worth about the same..the GM has the plow,which could make money for you,but has probably helped beat the crap out of the truck too..the IFS front ends dont like plows much.they had ball joint woes without one..and a 700R4 in a plow truck is likely on its last legs..

I'd wait for an older straight axle GM to come along,with REAL 8 lug axles and a SM465 or TH400..no overdrives!..not if you tow anything heavy..they hold up a lot better than the new body style trucks,IMO..:crazy:

16. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

FWIW, the Dakota is in MUCH better condition that that truck, unless he's been doing something crazy like wheeling it in the rocks every other day.

17. jekquistk5

jekquistk5 Weld nekid Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have pretty much the same truck for towing, and it gets the job done, but after getting past by about a million PSD's I made up my mind that the next tow rig will be a 99above 2500 or anything with a deisel!!! Mine is a 94 2500 with a 350, 4l60e, 14blt sf 3.42's, and a plow. It will tow it, just do not expect to get above 55 with a k5/truck on it.Oh and if you are going to tow a rig with it, put an extra tranny cooler on or else you end up on the side of the road. My dads 02 GMC 1500 tows soo much better then it. I'm sure if it had better gears like 4.10's It would do tons better. I'm probably going to swap a 14ff in the rear, then change the gears up front. Hopefully that will help out alot, then I'll be set. If that doesn't work, it will be up for sale, and newer truck or a diesel will be in my future.

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

so why not fill them in on the progression of this thread?

BONEHEAD! :doah:

19. ProJunkRacing

well i got the truck ***SLAp *** I work at national tire and battery well was gonna put some skins on the truck 33/12.5/R15 BFG AT's and had it on the lift and shook the fornt end down holy shinike well here is what it needs

Idler Arm
    2 Inner Tie Rod ENds
    Driver Side Upper Ball Joint
    Pit Man Arm
    Pass CV Boot

Hmm... sorta sucks so i am gonna get it fixed seeing as the guy already sold my dakota .this morn right befor i found this out . this sucks but i have been down in the dumps all day so anywho i live with my mistakes and will have to learn to deal with them .

Seeeing as I work at National Tire and Battery I pay $15 an hr for labor so i am gonna buy my own parts and have them install them so i save and it will end up costing me about 300 dollars total since the is around 4.5 hrs labor then my cost on parts.

20. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

you can get parts THAT cheap? My math in my hea adds up to way more than $300 just in parts, but thats going rates.

I could tell our opinions on the subject didn't matter, you seemed set on it, thus why I asked if you were.