Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you break?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by txbartman, Nov 20, 2001.

1. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Okay, I have been wheelin' for years, but never this hard core (just simple stuff in the past). I like wheelin', but I don't like the idea of breaking on the trail and having to fix stuff. I lie working on my rig, but not as much when I have to.

How often do you guys break on the trail? And what is the most common part you break?

A friend of mine (Nash - DBLAZER) went to Clayton this past weekend and everyone in his convoy (including him) broke something. That doesn't sound like near as much fun as just wheelin'.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

2. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

If you have 1/2 ton axles those would be one of the first things to break. What the heck did Dblazer break? He must have been gettin it awn.

Steve

Director of Global Expansion

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

Nash just severed the shackle bolt. But, the last two times he has been out wheeling with our club, he has broken his D60 stub shaft. Ferris (TTC Model A) was out with them this weekend. He broke a u-joint, axle, and a ball joint.

Tough crowd!

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. Butch

Butch 1/2 ton status

Here lately it is my wallet that has broke more than anything. Other than that front axle shafts are the ones to go.

I thought I was wrong once,
    but I was mistaken

5. kihlj

kihlj Registered Member

What axles would you suggest? Especially since I just bought 15x10 rims and 15" tires.

6. white_knight

white_knight 1/2 ton status

D60 stub shafts are what we break most often

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.whiteknight.scriptmania.com/>http://www.whiteknight.scriptma
    nia.com
    </a>

7. shawnboy

shawnboy 1/2 ton status

Personally I enjoy ripping apart rear u joints. I run 128 Spicers. I guess that's better than replacing axle shafts.
    Shawnboy.

<font color=red>If you are having too much fun it's probably illegal.</font color=red>

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I dont break. It's kinda hard to when all it does is decorate the shop [​IMG]

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>The blazer's almost on the road....anyone got tree fiddy?</font color=red>

9. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

DB is one of those rare "I can Break anything" types. I got a guy in my club like that. Grandes D60's He also granades NP205's. He has tallent. They also carry the spares and have the knowledge to get it fixed or patched to get them out. It's a matter of having the right gear in your truck.
    Well if the front axle is open you probably will not break it. What usualy gets them is a 300lb right foot or lockers and then full crank of the wheel so the U-Joint binds or a tire spinning 60mph gets sudden traction.
    So far I have never broke enough on a trail to have to do more than change a tire. I'm easy on the throttle but I recently locked my front so It's just a matter of time before I blow a shaft.
    Personaly I think the best thing to do is plan what breaks. Easiest theing to replace on the trail is a drive shaft. Leaving it half ton if you can and hopefully keep the breaks down to a $12 u-joint. On the downs side when you gear down the drive shaft has less torq on it and even a half ton driveshaft when geared down enough will proably be able to overcome a D60 U-Joint.
    I carry a spare axle shaft for the rear and a spare for both sides of the front. I'm still hunting spare drive shafts. Just have to plann ahead. Yeah it stinks when you got a break but if your prepared most of the time you can be back moving in less than 60 minutes if you got the spares and the tools.
    Other spare stuff to carry is Fuel pump if your carbed, fuel filters, oil and filter, stuff for general repairs. Truck will run for a long time on battery if you disable dome lights and brake lights. Water pumps rarely fail to the point that if you have coolant that you can't at least get off the trail. Hoses and belts it's good to carry spares or patch kit. Radiators can be plugged easily if it's a busted tube. Tranny coolers can be bypassed in a pinch just need to be easy so as not to overheat. Just need to carry hose for bypassing. Carbs can be gravity fed by strapping a fuel can to the hood and running some line.
    What I'm getting at is the best way to deal with breaks is to have contingincy plans. We had a guy bust a shackle mount on a jeep over the weekend (pretty commong thing with a Jeep). We had him going in 20 minutes with a quick and dirty trail fix with a couple clevis's. He ran the rest of the day without problem. We have jammed chunks of logs between frame and axle tubes and chained them in to get trucks with broken springs out. Rode like hell but got out on it's own power and was even flat towed almost 75miles home like that. I don't even know how many times we have pinched off brake lines with a pair of vice grips when one gets busted to get folks home. BigJBear and I chained off Boss's front axle when he sheared a locating pin to get him out. Just got to get creative with what you got handy. Big Key is having tools and stuff like chain, Come-a-long, and creativity.

Women dig dents and flat paint!
    coloradok5.com/gallery/Grim
    75 Jimmy, Dollar
    Grim-Reaper

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

If your vehicle is well prepared you don't get crazy you can spend a lot of time fourwheeling without fixing stuff. When I say well prepared, I don't mean you have to have all of the fancy and expensive heavy duty parts (though they do help), just make sure to keep up on maintenance. As far as getting "crazy", don't be afraid to take the bypass or ask for a strap, and know the limitations of your vehicle. If you have open diffs and 33" tires you shouldn't beat the crap out of the truck trying to follow your buddy with 36's and lockers.

I've been doing some fairly serious fourwheeling/trail riding for about 4 years now and am now president of one of the bigger clubs in the state. We don't have trails like Tellico or the nasty rocks like out West, but we run stuff that can challenge very well built trucks and I try most of the hard obstacles but I have no problems with going around if I can't make it.

The stuff I have broken actually on the trail so far includes two front axle shaft u-joints, sheared front shackle bolt, threw p/s pump belt (also give brake boost on a "hydraboost" setup), leaking fuel line, knocked a tire off the bead, and some other minor stuff I can't remember. I typically always go through the truck pretty closely after each ride and have found stuff that probably would have caused problems if not corrected. The biggest thing is worn out driveshaft u-joints and wheel bearings....which are a lot easier to change in the shop than in the middle of a mud hole.

11. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

12. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

The wheeling I do is moderate and when stuff get's thick generally I take it easy rather then gun the crap out of it. I think that saved a lot of parts on my older rigs. Then we get to the mud pits where you DO gun the crap out of it, well what is nice there is my smaller 35's seem to lack traction more then the 38's on my older rig. All in all mostly just the front axle shafts and u-jt's when locked up. I also have busted u-jt's in the d-shafts, but other then that it is more body damage if you try and take the tight trails.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

13. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Glass &amp; sheetmetal!

Jim '80 GMC & '73 Blazer
    Body by Tellico
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com>www.tellicok5.rockcrawler.com</a>

14. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Sheet metal and blew a 10 bolt. I have stock 88 drive line so I try not to go to hard. But on the east coast there is another enemy: Water. Water can really get things messed up.

350FI/700r4/NP208c/10b's ORD 4" Shackle Flip/ORD Disconnects <font color=red>NJK5</font color=red><a target="_blank" href=http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club>http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njk5club</a>

15. four_by_ken

four_by_ken 1/2 ton status

Front and rear(rare) shafts
    axle u-joint
    driveshafts
    driveshaft u-joints
    lockout hubs

Those are the most common for me and my friends.

Ken H.

'86 K5 up and coming
    14 bolt(Detroited),10 bolt,39.5 Boggers rear,
    TSLs front, 468 BBC, 350 trans, 205 transfer
    Rust free in Michigan!