Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you concider wealthy/rich? *Poll*

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BranndonC, Nov 22, 2006.

?

Yearly Income

1. 75,000

2.4%
  2. 100,000

19.3%
  3. 200,000

38.6%
  4. 500,000

21.7%
  5. 1,000,000

22.9%
  6. [naked Dr.Evil] one trillion Dollars [/naked Dr.Evil]

19.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

How much money does someone have to make to be concidered rich?

2. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

If you buy things you don't need for spurious reasons, you have too much money

Otherwise, it's just how shiny your refridgerator is

3. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

It's relative.

For me to be "rich" all I would need is a secure job, good family, decent house and reliable vehicles, and a retirement fund.

I learned a lot of lessons from my parents. I'm not as good with my money right now as I would like, but I still follow one important rule "Live within your means." If I can do that comfortably and support a family, I'd consider myself rich.

4. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I find it interesting that one person voted 3 times, different selections each time,,,,

anyways, minumum was at $75k, i made $50 last year, granted that's still $25k less, but i am still FAAAAAR from that wealthy rating even if i did make the 75k,,,with what i made, i am still in debt up to my booty with crap.

I guess to that paying alomst $3/gallon for fuel and driving a 10mpg vehicle doesn't help either :doah:

5. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

I agree, rich is a funky term, that's why I also said wealthy. I was alluding to money matters. Someone could make 10 million a year, and live down the street from you.

6. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

Dood I could live in a box under an over pass and still be rich. I know that sounds cheesy but I got a good woman and some good kids, no amount of money would ever make me happier...

7. Confedneck79K30

Confedneck79K30 3/4 ton status

well with mortgages here averaging 1400/mo for nothing special you have to make bank to be wealthy or rich... i figure 200k a year and yer wealthy and 500k a year and yer rich... and im naked so check out these thighs...

multiple choice is fun eh?

8. SkysTheLimit

SkysTheLimit 1/2 ton status

It breaks down like this for me.

75k is ok
    100k is doing good
    200k is pretty comfortable
    500k is rich
    1 mil is wealthy

rich is more a subjective term than wealthy. in my mind, wealthy has always been scrooge mcduck bucks while rich was spending without worrying. it's all a matter of perspective and locale too. If i lived in my hometown making what i make now in a medium sized city, i'd be "rich" but certainly not wealthy. also has to do with how you're brought up. I had a more priveleged childhood than many kids (by the above scale, we were'nt even doing ok) but the neighborhood was a pretty low income area so relatively i was comfortable.

what a ramble...

9. Russell

Russell LB7 Tahoe Status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I make $7000 - 8000 a year, tops, so 75 000 strikes me as incredibly rich :P I could do anything with that amount of money, lol

However, my father brings in about 140 000 a year, and I'd consider our family well off, so anything over 200 000 would be rich in my opinion.

10. 76zimmer

76zimmer Flyin Rat Premium Member GMOTM Winner

personally, much less: if you have a roof over your head, and food to eat, clothes on your back, your wealthier than 90% of the world.

If you can read this; thank a teacher
    if you can read it in english thank a veteran.

Only two people have died for you,

Jesus Christ: died for your sins
    The American GI: died for your freedom

11. 89K5guy

89K5guy 1/2 ton status

I am losing my job next month with Delphi.I have been there 21yrs.I made good money there but money isn't everything.HEALTH INSURANCE!!!!!Now that is important.What I am saying is that to me as long as you have your health,a roof over your head,food on the table and a family who loves you,
    :bow: that is more than any amount of money can buy!

HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!:D

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

$200k from my point of view. Right before they retired, my parents made about $160k combined... I've always considered them "well off". If you were making $200k a year... year after year for any period of time, and you ain't rich, you're probably an idiot. ;)

j

13. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

is this money made per year?
    if so i voted 100k
    if not, over 1 million in a lifetime, i would consider rich

14. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeppers, poll says "yearly income"... of course it doesn't say individual or a married couple combined. My $200k answer assumed a dual income household. Of course other circumstances could change that answer... a couple in Southern California that had 8 kids and an insane mother to take care of would probably be living in an old refrigerator box and eating alpo. ;)

j

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

That's why those "but they only make $500 a year" commercials are so gehy. A better measure of wealth is disposable income and leisure time.

That said I'm going w/ $200k because that would put me in a good way in Atlanta's housing/food/entertainment market. If I was back in Cleveland it would be less. If I was stuck in southern CA again it would be more.

16. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Uhh...dude, you know the average income in the US in like $44k. Household that is, so in a lot of cases, thats 2 people combined.
    You'd be insulting some people with your 75k at the bottom end. Remember, if the average is 44k, lots of people make way less than that.

Personally, it's all what you do with it. I know people who make $200k and are in debt big time, and constantly fighting about $$$, and live check to check. (because they are idiots and think because they make 200k, they can afford everything)
    I also know people who make $40k, aren't in debt $1 ,save for perhaps a mortgage, have a good car, take vacations, buy a few simple luxuries...
    It's all what you do with it.

17. Jagged

Jagged 1 ton status

Pareto's Principle... 20-80 rule

20% have 80% of the money.

18. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

I screwed up in my answer and didn't notice the "per year", I was thinking net worth so I opted for the highest which is still low.

As several people have said; it's all relative. Both from yor personal perspective and where you live.

It also seems that with age and inflation that "magic number" grows exponentially. I can remember thinking that if I could just make $50K me and my family would be set, my personal expectations aside, I could not own a home or enjoy any "perks" (vacations, decent cars, guns, a K5 that's not a DD, nice dinners etc) in my area and economy for that.

All that being said I think $500K/yr is wealthy and $1M is rich.

19. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I voted 3 times cause I think being wealthy starts around $200k, and if I didn't check everything above it, I'd feel like I didn't consider those options wealthy... Dang technicality...

For some people, wealth is unattainable. Every time they start to make a little more, they start to spend a little more, and they're always chasing the carrot on the stick...

I actually consider wealth to be living debt-free and having a little spending money while socking away retirement money at the same time. If you could do that on $50k, I'd consider you somewhat wealthy. I guess in my mind wealth=health; if you have health, physically and financially, you're wealthy. If you have lots and lots of money and can buy large ticket items without a loan or lots of fretting, you're probably rich.

20. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Rich is having financial freedom plain and simple .

Wealthy is having financial freedom for subsequent generations of your family .

HUGE A$$ difference there man :thumb: