Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you consider a poser?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Fry, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I just want to get your opinions on what you guys consider a poser. This is in no way meant to cut down anybodys trucks or start some type of flame war, I just am interested to see what everyones views are.
    I know some people think nobody is a poser and some people think anything under 38s are, I just want to know what CK5 thinks. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. justhorsinaround

justhorsinaround 3/4 ton status

Well heck if 38's is the cutoff my beat up ole 33 shod mountain goat is a posin away. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif IMO the only posers that are out there are folks that say they've done this and that and what not when their trucks haven't seen any dirt cept for a construction zone. Good luck to ya on the survey.

Allan

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Being a poser has nothing to do with how a truck is built, it's a state of mind. A poser is someone that is all about looking cool, but either builds with no eye for functionality, or builds for functionality but never uses it nor intends to. Basically what like the difference between a ricer and a hot-rodder. A ricer adds all kind of bolt ons and neon crap so the car looks real fast, a hot-rodder first makes the car perform and then works on making it look cool. Not to say all ricers are only about making the car look "cool", but the vast majority are. A poser's truck is "Redneck Rice" /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Anyways, to take this in a Jeff Foxworthy direction...

If you chrome any of your suspension bits, you might be a poser.

If your truck is built to the hilt with all the latest hardcore offroad goodies and body protection, but the hardest trail it ever sees is your driveway, you might be a poser. If you put it in 4wd to go up said driveway, then there is no "might be" about it, you're definately a poser.

If you run more than 2 shocks on each wheel, don't race in the desert and/or have 38" or smaller tires, you might be a poser.

If you drive through mud trying for all your worth to get it all over your truck so you can take pictures to prove you're not a poser, you might be a poser.

If you have complained that your Swampers "only" got 30,000 miles beore they wore out, you might be a poser.

If there's anything neon on your truck, you might be a poser.

If you ask advice and promptly ignore all of it, you might be a poser.

If you want rockwells solely for the 20" rims, you might be a poser.

If your truck is lifted so high the tire is nowhere near the wheelwell, you might be a poser.

If you put 12.5" tires on 14" wide rims, you might be a poser.

If you're pissed because you cant chrome a whole ten bolt, you might be a poser.

If you spent more on stickers than on steering correction, you might be a poser.

If you think off roading is anytime you leave pavement, you might be a poser.

If you chose the quintiple front 12" IFS lift shock kit over a front driveshaft, you might be a poser.

If you see no need for a winch unless it's chrome and has neato strobe lights, you might be a poser.

If you don't want a locker since it would wear out your boggers on the street even faster, you might be a poser.

All of that said... to each his own, variety is the spice of life, it's your money, build how you want, etc etc blah blah blah. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

4. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. justhorsinaround

Put some thought into that Shaggy???? /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif Dang boy you type fast. Good luck y'all.

Allan

6. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

Alot of that is from an old thread that I participated in on ORC a couple of years ago. Resurrection Joe wrote some of those and I wrote some, he just happened to send me the link last night when we were talking about something. I just updated them a bit. Talk about good timing... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    If there's anything neon on your truck, you might be a poser.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do rock lights count? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

I've never seen neon rock lights... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

9. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

A POSER to me is...
    A show truck...with a "High Gloss" paint job...
    with Harlequin Flames... /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[​IMG]

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

[ QUOTE ]
    I've never seen neon rock lights... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

It's "Simulated Neon". /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

a poser to me is someone that brags about their ramp score but is afraid to go on a certain trail because they dont want to hurt their rig.

12. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

thats great /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    I was talking to some guys on another site and they are into the lifted IFS thing anyway I tried explaining that 39.5" boggers on a 1/2ton 2wd is a poser but nobody believed me /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    Anyway keep em coming, I love to hear other peoples opinions /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

just my opinion... but a poser 4x4 is a rig that is built to look (to the untrained eye anyway) like its an offroading machine, when in reality its drivetrain isnt up to its tires/lift and the rig never really goes offroad. Note that show trucks arent posers in my definition, they are just built for a different purpose.

j

14. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[​IMG]

Punk a$$ poser /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

No front driveline. Big ass truck built because it looks cool, but will never see dirt.

John

16. JDBlazer454

JDBlazer454 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Those are great, definitely lots of thought into those but very true. I have answered a few with a yep thats me, crap I need to go wheeling and get it dirty, I am tired of being a Poser /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

17. the cork

the cork 1/2 ton status

i never understood that poser thing, if you add something to your vehicle that makes it perform better than stock,
    i cant see why it would be called a poser, even those lifted
    trucks with bigger tires and 14 crome shocks would be better than stock??? or no?? i think some people ar jealous
    of trucks that look good,

18. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

You kind of sound like a PLQ driver in your statements... but who knows.

I don't care if you add stuff to it to make it perform better. That doesn't make you a poser. It's just poser if you don't use it to the point that you become a poser. Kind of like putting Nittos on a Buick Park Avenue. Sure, it'll perform better but are you ever going to use it?

Putting more than two shocks on a tire on an offroad rig is like putting a wing on a Lancer Evolution. Sure, it looks cool, but adds zero function and is often a detriment to performance.

19. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    i never understood that poser thing, if you add something to your vehicle that makes it perform better than stock,
    i cant see why it would be called a poser, even those lifted
    trucks with bigger tires and 14 crome shocks would be better than stock??? or no??

[/ QUOTE ]

You've completely missed the point.

[ QUOTE ]
    i think some people ar jealous
    of trucks that look good,

[/ QUOTE ]
    That's just fawking stupid, I hate that excuse for useless trucks. Basically you're saying that because someone else doesn't think that your truck is as cool as you think it is, it MUST be because they're jealous since they can't afford it and/or have no taste. It couldn't be that they just don't like it, because you're so cool that the truck MUST be cool, right? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

I can appreciate a nice show truck and all the work that goes into it, but I think ANY vehicle that is so worked over that you won't even drive it is just lame. Whether it's a Camaro, a Civic or a Blazer, what's the point if you can't drive it the way it's built to LOOK like it should be driven? A tubbed Camaro with a blown big block, a chromed out Blazer on one tons and 44s, or a Civic with a turboed GSR motor in it, they're all stupid to me if they're only driven off and on the trailer at shows. They're just big penis extensions at that point, so the owners can stand next to them and say "Oh yeah, look at me I'm so cool that I own this car."

Anyways, rant mode off...

20. justhorsinaround

Shaggy you the shznit. You hit the nail on the head as far as I'm concerned.

Allan