Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you do in a typical day

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by laketex, Oct 24, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Ok, I've been at this job for nearly a year now. I was recruited out of Southeastern Oklahoma State University as a safety major/technology minor. Since the economy was bad, I got the fortune of taking a underpaid job way the hell up in Illinois, where pay is lower and housing is 3x the cost. If not enough, to add insult to injury, I'm not doing what it was said I'd do. I'm not being a whiner right here cause we are getting by, but I'm not nearly where I thought I'd be.

I am the safety director/environmental director/human resources director at a 75 person facility 40 miles west of Chicago. We produce drawn and rolled aluminum, copper, stainless, and steel wire in various sizes and profiles. I am a very hands on person and was led to believe this would be a hands on job when i interviewed. Here is what I actually do.

I do safety training and a couple walks around the plant every day. I write people up, talk to people, get to know them a little. I spot check for things that are wrong and do work orders for other people to fix them. I do dailiy, weekly, and monthly inspections.

I do all the environmental inspections, committee meetings, MSDS sheets workbooks, training, permits, and reporting.

I handle all the HR issues from individual employees. I get to call about lost insurance cards, work comp paperwork, why an extra $32 was taken out of their paycheck, and other assorted bullshit like that.

All in all, I spend 8-10 hours a day at work. I'd say 95% of the time, I'm behind the fukkin computer or at my desk doing paperwork and it's starting to piss me off.

So what do you do in a typical day? Trying to get some insight into what is out there and if reality does always suck worse than our perceptions... /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

2. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

I hear ya, man. I was hired to my job to be a design engineer. I'm a damn draftsman. I guess that was their way of paying me $10k less than the payscale. I was told I was going to be designing thisngs in SoldiWorks. All I do is change stupid drawings, do a lot of clerical bullshit, and overall just fix stupid people's problems, which keeps me busy because everyone I work with is an idiot. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I do what I'm told, get paid, and go home.../forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Actually I was hired as a "Fitter/Fabricator". My duties have gone way beyond the typical scope of that description though. I've done mechanical assembly (aircraft tooling assembly), babysat the Okuma CNC mill, been the painter (I suck so they stopped asking me), and recently spent a month and a half running the fab shop while the foreman and a few others were in Spain installing what we built for Airbus.

I guess the job is more than I counted on in a good way, having to source material, plan the work, deal with design problems and changes, schedule overtime etc etc on a decent sized job was pretty cool. It's given me a new perpective, and I think it's something I'd like to do more of.

I don't know if I could stand doing what you do Bryan, but I'm not much of a paperwork and red tape kinda guy. If I have to deal with paperwork it better have critical dimensions on it.../forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have had jobs where I was hired as a fitter and did everything but fit. I usually don't last long at those places.

Rene

4. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

lets see, i turn wrenches at a ford dealer, so right now on monday i go to work, work 7-430, usually without taking lunch, tuesday, wednesday and thursday i work 7-2 without lunch, then leave work at 2 with 3 other guys and drive an hour to school, get back to work from school around 9, and go home, friday is the same as monday..and sometimes i pop in on saturday to make my 40...oh and the pay is shitty, ($8.50/hr)...

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I spent 50 hours this week working, took one lunch break all week, and spent most of that time running a fawkin cash register because the morons I work with cause massive amounts of money to be lost.

6. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I don't know if I could stand doing what you do Bryan, but I'm not much of a paperwork and red tape kinda guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if I can either. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif That is why I started my own business and am going back to school to be a history teacher. I hate this place and all the idiots that work here. Bad thing is my wife is in grad school and I'm the only one working. Alas, I can't quit or I lose my house. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

7. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I'm a punching bag.

I run a repair shop for Cingular. I basicly listen to people bitch and moan about how my company sucks and the product we sold them sucks and how every dirt bag looses $1,000 when their phone drops a call and how I should credit them that. Our network is changinf from TDMA to GSM and it's been a pain in the butt. Bellsouth Land line has some screw up on their Trunking and Data lines that causes this echo problem. So I take a beating on that too.

8. Confedneck

lol grim...my phone does that echoing thing once in a while...and it drops calls, allbeit that i know verizon is crap...i finally broke the phone with a tv remote yesterday when it dropped my g/f for the 2nd time in 10 minutes...carry on..

9. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Well M-F I get to work somewhere between 9am and 9:45am... Then I pretty much sit in front of a computer all day at a desk. My main duties rquire me to dispatch loads over the phone and do the paperwork for them. PLus I do all the billing, load posting, record all the imcoming payments, handle the computer/network/printer/fax/copier problems and do most of the stupid little arrands like running to get more ice tea or going to pick up my fathers boat. I also am the one that goes to the post office at noon as well as pick up lunch for myself and another lady that works here.... All before 5pm each day..... And for pay? LOL, that would make you fall on the floor and cry laughing!

I could tell ya about after that but I doubt ya want to hear about be rubbin one out! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Get to work. Log on. Work on becoming a "Post Whore". Just doesn't seem to be enough hours in a day though. maby I should start workin OT.

11. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Bryan, the Chicago area is the worst place to live in the state as far as housing costs and taxes. I'm from Southern Illinois and housing and land is cheap. Of course the towns are smaller and not many major factory type jobs.

My job, my Air Force job as a weather forecaster. Well, I don't even write the forecast anymore for my base in Delaware. It's actually written by a weather forecasting "HUB" at Scott Air Force Base in Illinois. I basically brief aircrews taking off from my base. Let them know what to expect enroute and at their destination. I answer phones and get a lot of stupid and repetitive questions when the weather starts getting bad. When the weather is good I go outside to see what kind and how much of each type cloud is present and send my observation out over the internet for the world to see. That takes all of 5 minutes per hour. When the weather is crap, it's possible that I send up to ten observations out an hour and answer phones. It can get REALLY busy.
    For the other 7-7 1/2 hours of my 8 hour shift /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I watch TV, surf the net or work on my homework. Granted when weather is crap I am busting my ass. I get to listen to the whiney little pilots asking when I'm going to cancel the lightning advisory so their planes can get refueled and they can leave. I sometimes leave the advisory out a little longer than need be, you know, for their safety /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

Hey, Michael. I worked in the shipping business over the summer this year and it was the best job I've ever had! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif We arranged backhauls for private fleets. Now I'm stuck working in the damn food court at my school, doing dishes, cleaning trays, and wiping tables. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif Oh well, money talks. Hopefully I'll be working back at that place next summer.

13. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

It sounds like you suffer from a very common ailment these days, brother- it's called "job dissatisfaction" Don't feel bad about wondering if it's time to move on to a different line of work. I think everybody I know feels that way from time to time.

Here's my day:

7:30 - Get to the shop. Fill out timeslips and organize paperwork, service orders, and locates. Let the boys know what the job is for the day so that they can get the truck stocked with the proper parts.

8:00/8:15ish- Hook up the mini-excavator trailer or start up the backhoe. Do a couple of last minute fluid checks and a trailer saftey inspection and head out.

8:30-9:00 - Get to the jobsite(various locations in 3 different towns). Set up barricades and/or traffic control setup, fill out a Hazard Assessment form, confirm locate slips, double check with homeowner/prime contractor/site foreman about details of the job. Then I start digging.

9:00 - ? - Every job I do is different. When you deal with underground utilities, nothing is for certain until you've exposed everything. Once everything is uncovered, you may be forced to replan the entire job.

It's also worth mentioning that weather and seasons play a big role in how fast I can do my work. In the middle of the winter I am CONSTANTLY in the frost(it goes down almost 6' up here). Extreme cold temperatures also really slow a guy down. We call winter "jackhammer season". One day a couple of years ago I was on a jackhammer for almost 5 hours straight hammering through frost as hard as concrete. There have also been the times when I've had a road open-cut and a suprise rainstorm decides to pay a visit. Imagine being in a 6X6X4ft deep hole and all the water draining down the gutter decides to wash into the hole... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

I'd also better mention that 2 days out of 5 I work right through lunch. If I am working on a roadway, I am not allowed to leave the site until the hole has been backfilled and compacted. Unless everything goes perfect on the job(which anybody who works a contruction-related job knows almost never happens /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif), chances are the hole won't be ready to fill by 12:00. As a Crew Leader, it's my responsibility to make sure my crew gets fed AND the worksite stays secure. So quite often I am forced to suck it up, send the boys for lunch, and stay at the jobsite.

At the end of the day, we return to the shop. The boys clean up the truck and I start on the paperwork side of the job. I have up to 7 different pieces of paper to fill out for every job I do. They include: Man and equipment hours, parts list, pipe inspection report and detailed site diagram. I am also required to sign an affidavit stating that I tested and inspected my work.

I'm usually home, by 4:30, unless an emergency comes up. The longest shift I worked this year was 22.5 hours. We had a MAJOR leak and it took a long time to pinpoint and repair. On average I work about 2 hours of overtime a week and about 10 times a year an emergency will pop up that will keep me out until midnight or so(like Boxing Day last year) /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

So in a nutshell there's my job. Next time it's -20' outside remember that things could be worse, brother!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

14. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Up at 4:30am. Make coffee and turn on the puter. Check my email and update my websites till about 7am. Then I hit CK5 till about 7:30 or 8:00. Then I get in the van and go get breakfast and stop at the lumber yard if need be. On the job by about 9 or 9:30... Work till about noon, then come home for lunch unless I'm too far away.

The closest I get to a full day is when I start 2 jobs in one day. Also if I finish 2 jobs in one day. Then it can last for 6 to 7 hours and brb sucks huge pig teats. Usually I work about 4 days a week doing the jobs and one day a week giving estimates. What do I do? LOL!

I patch drywall. Angry teenager fist holes, doorknob holes. Stupid wife drove through the garage wall holes. Dings from moving funiture, water damage repair, plumbing repair holes and electrical service holes. (adding a ceiling fan or speakers in the walls) I am actually out and working about a total of 30 hours a week or less. Sometimes when it's real busy I might be pushing 35. Sometimes no more than 20...

/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

15. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Well, since I be on Chaz's PC and it sucks that the letter right after "N" key doesn't work, this could get interesting.

The job I work has different work sites, so the job I work varies a lot.

I get up anywhere between 4 and 7, depends on when I have to be at work.

I have a 0:40 trip, and get there about :30 to :60 before I start shift.

I basically be just a goon in a cool suit, doing a show of force to the civilian 'tards.

A few of the areas have the ability for a lot of parking tickets, so I actually have a job to do besides sitting on Bubba's fat a**. Outside of that, I usually just sit around and look good.

That's about it and the first wanker that says words about the English of the posts I post, you can kiss it. The letter after 'N' doesn't work and this is gonna suck. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. Confedneck

[ QUOTE ]
    A few of the areas have the ability for a lot of parking tickets, so I actually have a job to do besides sitting on Bubba's fat a**. Outside of that, I usually just sit around.

[/ QUOTE ]
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    [ QUOTE ]
    That's about it and the first wanker that says words about the English of the posts I post, you can kiss it. The letter after 'N' doesn't work and this is gonna suck.

[/ QUOTE ]
    which letter after N? on the keyboard or in the alphabet? lmao... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

17. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

Well now.................let's see. My day day has a very loose schedule, but the following is typical. I am kind of anal about my schedule when it comes to things that I can control.

The following is set up for night shift. Day shift has a different schedule.

1520. Look at watch every 20 seconds and whine about getting ready for work.

1528. Walk to bedroom, grab clean T-shirt, socks and underwear.

1529. Go to computer room and light a cigarette. Find ash tray and walk to bathroom.

1530. Start bath water. (Yes, I take a bath), sit down and smoke cigarette.

1540-1542. Finish bath and get out of tub. Dry off, comb hair, brush teeth, apply deodorant /forums/images/graemlins/pimp1.gif.

1547. Walk to computer room, ligh another smoke. Find music on computer to listen to. Get dressed, grab cell phone, smokes, keys, gun and two quarters out of my 'stash (for a Mountain Dew) and some cash for dinner (The amount of cash may vary, depending on your work performance.....see below).

1550. Drive to Sheriff's Department. Park car in shade.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

1555. Walk into work, being carefull to dodge any administrative staff that might be looking for me. Walk straight to the Pepsi machine and buy a Mountain Dew.

1556-1610. Go back outside, BS with the Sgt and my buddies Keith, John, Phil, Mike and Ken. Make fun of other cops,administrative staff, citizens and strangers walking by.

1615. Briefing begins. BS with the Sgt and my buddies Keith, John, Phil, Mike and Ken. Make fun of other cops,administrative staff, citizens, BRB's and strangers walking by /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif. Discuss any tele-types for stolen/wanted people/cars, etc. (Now pay attention here because this is where the fun starts.)

Discuss bounty on above stolen/wanted cars/people. Our shift is the best at hunting people and/or cars. The following is a typical bounty scale.

Stolen car recovered = 1 soda/coffee at the Sgt's expense

Stolen car recovered + driver arrested= 1 meal at the Sgt's expense.

Wanted person = Nothing /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif (Unless prior odds and or stakes have been agreed upon.......see below)

Wanted Person that another cop is actively looking for = Soda/Coffee at that officers expense.

Violent Wanted person that has threatened "Suicide by Cop" = 1 weeks worth of meals at fellow shift members expense.

Violent Wanted person that has threatened "Suicide by Cop", driving stolen car = 2 weeks worth of meals at fellow shift members expense.

The above is a fairly loose bounty scale. Any officer can make additional stakes at his own request.

1640. Go "In service" and start tour.

1640*-2015 Drive aimlessly and "fight crime"................. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif
    *If a specific wanted/stolen car/person has been identified as your "mission" for the night during briefing..........You check with all your snitches and all the local "Jungles" (A Jungle is any place that sh!t bags frequent and/or live)

2015-2100 Attempt to take a dinner break with your buddies.

2100-2330. Drive aimlessly and "fight crime"................. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

2330-0015 Do bar checks with Keith. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

0015-0300. Drive aimlessly and "fight crime"................. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

0300. Go home /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, unless something happened and you have to stay late. If that happens, you are required to b!tch, moan and belly-ache until you do get to go home. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

18. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Now that is an insiders view you don't normally get...and damn funny too!

I like the bounty system...

Rene

19. leadfoot067

leadfoot067 1/2 ton status

7:30 am...get into shower
    7:40 am..get dressed,get coffee,keys.smokes,phone
    8am get to work, make sure parts are there for the jobs scheduled for the day in shop and mobile....sometimes sweep,empty garbage cans tidy up a bit ....empty drop box....
    wait for customers to get there and install the required auto glasss in there cars...answer phones, cause the girl in the office cant seem to figure out how to answer more than one call at a time /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif...answer all stupid questions from the girl in the office for the 10th time...
    12:00...try to get some lunch unless for the 100th time she has scheduled me a job at lunch time /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif...
    1:00 same as morning...
    4:30 walk out the door quite stressed and usually pissed about something thinking to my self is this really worth the 20 buks an hour they pay me??? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif realising that i didnt in fact ever get lunch and i have gut pain and need food now!!

so theres my day could be alot worse,,,could be better but it pays my bills and i feel lucky to have a job at all /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

20. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

Oh OH Oh oh oHHH I want to post my daily schedule also!!!

Sometime between 8 AM and 10 AM: Wake up....

8-10 AM - around 11:30-noon: Lie in bed watching TV, thinking about what I'm going to do with my day.

Noonish: Get my lazy ass out of bed and review the paper for job openings, prepare daily Ramen Noodles and turkey and cheese on wheat sandwich.

around 1 PM: Take a shower, where I usually spend about 20 minutes after becoming clean just standing there thinking about college and what I'm gonna do with the rest of my day.

After the shower: Put on some clothing and sit here at the computer listening to music and surfing CK5.

Usually I find a reason to leave the house every day, even if it's just to drive around town, so I normally take care of this at around 2 PM. Other activities I have been known to do at 2 PM: Go to the Library, pay billz, go to the bank, pick up a pay check, get some foood.

If I happen to work, which at Country Buffet is pretty damn rare, I usually go in at 5 or 6 PM. So I spend about 5 minutes getting ready, and leave the house about 15 minutes before my shift starts.

I usually get home from work between 10:15 and 11 PM. I change, chill at CK5 some more till around 2 AM, then I lie in my bed and watch TV till I fall asleep /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

The schedule varies day by day, but that's a rather typical day in the life of Carl. Once I find a job that gives me more than ten hours a week, I'll adjust accordingly... And of course College is probably going to require an entire re-vamp of my life /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif