Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you do to protect your ride? Alarms?Fuel Cut off? LO-Jack?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by _DeeVee8_, Mar 31, 2000.

1. _DeeVee8_

_DeeVee8_ 1/2 ton status

I don't recall seeing anyone post about this kind of alarm system so I will. I was wondering what is the best alternative to having a gun mounted pointing out the window at the theif who tries to break into your ride? Aside from fake dog barking noise makers...and maybe a small sign that you have wired the truck to explode if you open the doo rwithout the code.

Please give me all kinds of sadistic ideas for I may want to build the better mouse trap some day.

let's see what cruel intentions we can come up with?(anything remotely close to medieval torture would suffice!!!)
    -Andy
    "DeeVee8"

where do you find those stupid smiley faces anyway...

2. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

to find the smiley faces go to the FAQ section and look under HTML. it gives a whole list.

on the other ideas, how about an electrified steering wheel? one or two zaps and the thief will get back out i think![​IMG]

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy, with all sorts of anti-thievery countermeasures!!

3. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I use to install alarms for a living in both Auto's and Commercal Properties. Be careful about the Shocking someone as a defence of your truck. "YOU COULD BE SUED"! Alarms are only as good as the installers imagination. Most alarms are to stop kids from stealing stereo,CB's, exc. If someone wants it bad enough it gone! LO-Jack is the best device that you can get to get your vehical back as soon as posible,if they take it(and don't know it's there). If you want to your best bet are to pay for good insurance and insure your add ons also.

C'moe

<font color=black>the blazer is "Back in Black"

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

i was just kidding. im afraid to look at people wrong these days in in case i might get sued for something. Ahhhh i love america and al the crap that people can get away with.

hey im a member!! yeah baby!!

shaggyk5

aint nuthin in the world like a heavy chevy!!

5. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

OK I have to ask......
    What is a LoJack??
    I chain the front end to my house!!
    I would hate to have to start over.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

6. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Did you read my post a few days ago about this guy who kept a bottle of poisoned whisky under the seat. If someone broke in, they wouldn't resist the temptation. I think it's too dangerous. What if some teenagers saw it and try to get a sip just for being teenagers?

<font color=purple>////////
    Drive it like gas is </font color=purple><font color=red>$2.00/gal!!!</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

7. K5Junkie

K5Junkie 1/2 ton status

Not only do i have an alarm with a starter kill, but i also have a switch installed in a secret place that cuts off power to the electric fuel pump. I have had way too much stuff stolen out of previous trucks and i sure don't want my whole Blazer stolen from me...I love it too much!

8. I saw a new battery called "Security" that comes with a kill switch inside it. It also has a feature that if you left your lights on for a long period, it has a threshold that shuts off and saves the starting power. Cheap at $150. Or at least compared to some of the above techniques...

'84 K5

Chevy in my blood.

9. Blaize

Blaize Registered Member

Well, having already suffered a break-in on my previous Blazer a few years back, I've learned a few things. Here's what I'm doing now to protect my current ride and its contents(I live in the South Bay, Los Angeles County, lots of scumbags...): (1) Install windwing locks ($9.95, Help! line @ Pep Girls) since that is how they broke in last time, (2) Use "The Club", (3) I am buying the Steering Column Lock from JC Whitney for $44.00, protects/covers ignition switch, awesome product, (4) Installed new latches on sliding windows of hard top ($1.65 each, see Southco Latches web site), (5) Install a "hood-lock kit"($30.00), I don't need one on the '85 since it is opened from the inside, but my '76 was popped open during the break-in to disconnect the alarm, (6) Install an Ignition Kill Switch hidden inside the vehicle, for daily use, and another kill switch in the engine compartment for longer periods of non-use, (7) Install a "Fuel Interrupt Relay" (?) so vehicle only goes 1 mile before fuel supply gets cut-off, I'm looking for this right now, to install ASAP, (8) Notate every "add-on" (beyond Blue Book value) with pictures, catalog prices, etc so that the insurance company can back you up when the misfortune does occur (I was on the phone with State Farm yesterday regarding this issue) My $7000.00 truck is blue-booked at $2725.00, ouch !(9) keep Rufus in the truck as much as possible, except I have not found a convenient way to get a 100+ lb Rottie into the Green Meanie ! Good luck !

Blaize

10. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Well, after reading Blaize's post, all I can say is that I pity your folks in the big cities. Here in Newfoundland, Canada, the worst that some punk might do is key your paint job or swipe small stuff from inside the vehicle but vehicle theft is so rare, that I'd say that less than 1% by far have alarm systems or any security devices up here other than locking the doors.

Well, I guess I can't go to my local custom spring shop or offroad center but in return , life is alot simpler and places to fourwheel are nearly everywhere!!

Good Luck in hanging on to your rigs!

Brian
    Still in search of the TBI KING!!

11. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

Lo-jack is a security feature that uses satellite tracking to locate vehicle after theft. actually, for you paranoid types, they can track you before the car is stolen, ya know.............

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

12. BlueKnight

BlueKnight 1/2 ton status

Well I have a very elaborate alarm system with starter kill, fuel cut off, and perimieter detection. It also has the ability to sense jecking or movement of the vehicle. In the even of a car jacking I push a hidden button as I get out of the vehicle and it runs for about 90 sec's then dies flashing the horn and lights to. and last but not least when parked. I take the sterring wheel with me.

13. AZK5

AZK5 1/2 ton status

Ignition kill, Club, and I don't let my baby out of my sight. At night it's in a garage and if we go to a resturant after wheeling I park it in front of a window and insist on sitting where I can keep an I on it. I just have to much time and money invested for some loser to take it home.
    CB

14. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

I just never wash mine, and half the body molding is missing, and it leaks and........ now why would anybody but me want it.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

15. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

In my country the offer these satellite controled alarms as well. You can turn the engine off, lock the doors, and turn on the siren. All you have to do is get to the nearest payphone, dial a number, your code and select the action you want to perform.

Is it true that about once a year there is some effect caused by solar interference that will turn your engine off and leave you stranded until the alarm company fixes it?

<font color=purple>////////
    Drive it like gas is </font color=purple><font color=red>$2.00/gal!!!</font color=red>
    [​IMG]

16. Blazin'Grrl

Blazin'Grrl Registered Member

My tailgate came from a junkyard, so I don't have a key for it....any way to keep the window from being rolled down? I had my truck parked in my driveway w/people home and doors locked, and someone rolled down the window and stole my 15" Apache 2 Subwoofers.....the nerve!!! Ideas?

<font color=purple>Sarah</font color=purple>
    <font color=purple>[​IMG]'83 K-5 Silverado Blazer[​IMG]</font color=purple>

17. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Does that battery only cut the amount of power to the vehical or does it cut all power to the vehical is my question ? If it cut's all power to it alarm and Stereo pre sets are lost. If it cut part of the power what stops them from using a jumper to start it and leave with the truck.
    LO- Jack is a detecter that is used to locate a vehical useing satilite tracking.

C'moe

18. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

Sarah,
    You can take the Blazer to a locksmith and they can make you a new key. Lot's of them will do it for under $20 if you take it out(the lock cylander). Talk to them first and see what they will charge you.

C'moe

19. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Keep talling ya'll that a pet rattler on the floorboard keeps everybody out, and you can't get sued for a act of God, darned ole snake musta crawled in the truck last time I was off-roading....White Knight

20. Cmoe

Cmoe 1/2 ton status

I'm like Indian Jones "I DON'T LIKE SNAKES"!LOL

C'moe