Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you do when you hit rock bottom? long but help

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by SCOOBYDANNN, Jul 2, 2004.

1. SCOOBYDANNN

SCOOBYDANNN 1/2 ton status

It begins about 2 years ago.
    Ever since I was little I wanted to be a cop. First time I applied i had too many tickes within a certain amopunt of time. That's fine, i wait a couple of months and try again. Same speil. So I wait again.. Third time is a charm.

I pass the written w/ flying colors. I pass the physical w/ flying colors also. Awesome. Background check. I have nothing to hide. I tell them everything. I figure this job is about honesty (i don't want to hear about how cops are dishonest, thats not me and I can't be that way) so I tell them the stupid $hit i did in high school. mind you I never got caught, but i have a concience.

i hand over the background check to the recruiting officer, he looks through it and says

"we can't hire you, you still have too many tickes, please sign here." just like that.

I'm enraged, but i keep my calm (too many cops to start anything)

I wanted to do this all on my on , stubbornness, but i break down and ask my dad (cop for 30 yrs) for help. he goes to the cheif and asks why. he tells him it was because of the [darn] i did in HS.

so much for being honest, i know for a fact, that 2 HS friends did the same [darn] if not worse, but their cops now.

i go into a slight depression on and off up till recently.

I have been working the same dead end job for going on 5 years. and just recently started going to school again and got a second job to support that.

yesterday, 7-1-4, i get called to the office (2nd job) there is a card missing and you were the one who sold it.

i didn't do it, but i want to help you figure out who did.

today i walk in and all fingers point at me. they didnt fire me, but i had to quit. I was still a dead end job but the people there were some of the nicest people i have ever worked with, I am more pissed off that I look like a dissapointment to them than anything else.

about the only thing i can do now is fill out some applications and hope one calls back. Come monday, or tuesday i will go out and look for another dead end job

until then i will drink my sorrows away and hang out with people that pretend to like me.

yes im sad right now, but i don't know what else to do.

i just had to vent,

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Why not reapply to be a cop now? Just apply to a different area than you did the last time and leave out the part about highschool that there is no record of. It worked for Bubba /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

easy on the drinking you will still have the same problems and issues but just adding a morning headache,LOL

What other hobbies do you have?

I'd also say to try the cop thing again. If not get a side job and look at taking classes for criminal justice or the like to show them you are indeed interested and didicated to the job.

4. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

How about trying for a different type of law enforcement. I'm assuming you were trying PD. How about County Sheriff, U.S. Marshalls, or I'm sure there has to be others. Even Game and Wildlife enforcement officers, I think they do some pretty cool things.

Definitely lay off the drinking, that might really sink your chances.

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

How long since you graded from highschool?
    That sucks they won't let you in because of some things you did in HS. Good luck /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. SCOOBYDANNN

i graduated in 97, ive tried border patrol but didn't pass the language part, i am goin to try it again though. im also going to try customs too. it just takes a long time from beginning to actually getting hired. its all that down time that is geting to me. i just wonder what im doing wrong.

7. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

[ QUOTE ]
    i just wonder what im doing wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ask them. Call them up and ask, "What do you like to see in a perspective officer?" "What can I do to increase my chances?"

8. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

I know what not to ask. we had a sign up at the place I use to work asking for a new cashier and this female called up and asked if we do drug testing, I said yes we do, she hung up,LMAO!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

9. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

There is solace in being alone, try that for a while, serve your own needs

10. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

You will get discouraged, and maybe like me, try to go off into a different direction.

When I got out of the Army, I was told I didn't stand a chance where I was at cause I had no college. Then right before I went through the academy in CA, I was told I would have a hard time getting hired because of my accent. I also realized that I was at the bottom of the list cause of my education, my gender, and my race; so I did the next best thing, said [darn] CA.

Granted, where I am is not where I was planning on being, and I sure as hell don't want to go back to school since I already have one hell of a education, but because some pole smoker says I have to, I've given up my summer and the streets just so I can do what I want. Bullshit, yes. Hate it, yes and in my mind, substandard training, but it's the price I must pay to be where I want and once I get done with school in August, then I'm ahead of the game in a few states.

In short, keep your options open. Think about relocating. The bad/good thing about here in OK, a lot of small departments have very laxed hiring processes and also are hurting for people. The only people someone from the street with some life experience is going to be competing with is someone who is state certified, and those people don't go to these towns because of pay and politics. Once you are working, most of them will send you to school to get state certified and then your ticket in this state is pretty much punched for success in this state. There are only a couple of departments in this state that have their own school. We have one kid in my class, 23 I believe, who already has 4 months as acting chief of his department.

If ya want to talk more, PM me.

11. SCOOBYDANNN

I've thought about relocating, but i really like it here, i guess thats just life. i've put in, or filled out applications for some suburbs of Phx, San Antonio, and New Mexico State Patrol, going to try BP and Customs again. so Hopefully one will bite. The money isn't really a concern of mine, as long as I get to do something i enjoy.

if you don't mind me asking, how old are you and how long did it take toget all the way through.

12. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

I'm 32. I was 29 when I started the CA academy, 30 when I graduated and hired when I was 31. The schooling out in CA for me was 869 hours, out here in OK it's only 320. I have only 9 weeks of school compared to the 10 months I went through in CA, and if I went full time it works out to like 4 months.

States differ on their training, New Mexico is up to over 800 hours, don't know what the State Police school time is though.