Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you do when.....

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by k5freak44, Aug 5, 2004.

1. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

I was just thinking that inspection time will be around in a couple months or so for me so what should i do about my tires.

first of all will my tires stay in place on the dyno. i have 36in irok bias ply.

Second will a bigger tire effect the readout in any way.

I also need tips for upgrades to help me pass with my headers. THe cats are supposidly not getting hot enough and fitering correctly. Anything to help this problem?

I also know that i dont have a smog pump will that hurt me.

I know my egr system is in tune.

Anything that will help me pass easy without running my truck hard for an hour before the inspection to heat up the cats.

THanks guys....................

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

what size is your exhaust? I could see the exhaust not getting hot enough if you are running too large of a pipe for your engine. I'm guessing you are probably like 2.5" or 3" pipes which maybe 2 1/4" wouldn't be out of the question? Air pump will help if you cats are getting hot enough I think. I always left it on and just removed the belt in the parking lot /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif. But I only passed emissions once. I passed without cats though /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

3. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I also need tips for upgrades to help me pass with my headers. THe cats are supposidly not getting hot enough and fitering correctly. Anything to help this problem?

[/ QUOTE ]

You could wrap the headers. Heat stays in the tubes, it'll help light the cat off. Also will keep the underhood temps down.
    Bad side is that supposedly the headers won't last as long, due to the extra heat in them. I don't have experience with this, so I don't know for certain. You could wrap them for inspection, and unwrap after passing if you're worried about the longevity.

4. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

im running 2.5 in exhaust.

my main problem last year was the nox level. any advice would be great

5. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I was talking to a friend who works at mieneke last night who said to pass emissions, dump two bottles of rubbing alcohol in the gas tank. Ive never tried it, but he swore by it.
    -Harrison

6. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

I have used isopropanol dry gas to help pass the emission test--I put 3 bottles to a 1/4 tank of gas,it passed with flying colors,having flunked badly just before without it--it helps to go in as soon as you have driven the truck,sitting in line waiting for your turn at the inspection station is why my truck used to fail most of the time,the motor cooled off enough even with it running to fail the test. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

7. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

AC Delco O2 sensor....(never buy a Bosch)
    195* thermostat...
    plugs, wires, etc...
    Change the oil...
    Don't turn the truck off while you are waiting your turn...

89K5, TBI, headers, duals, dual cats, 140K, smokes at startup, 4:10 w/33's...not a prob,

Heller's Automotive in Richardson is one of the places you can go after your second failure.....I spent about $200 two years ago on a "learning curve".... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

8. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

denatured (or somthing like that)alcohol. ive done it and passed with no problems.i gotta cam 64cc w/p's heads and alum. intake
    find it a ace hard wear
    1 gl