Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you do with all your used oil?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big83chevy4x4, Oct 21, 2004.

1. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

ive been running out of places to hide my used oil here, milk jugs, antifreeze jugs, 5 gallong buckets, stuff like that. i did take it to TSC once but they can only take 5 gallons at a time and they stole one of my buckets that ive been hiding it in /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif been thinking about getting a plastic 55 gallon drum to put it all in, but after its full, how do i move it and where do i take it.

there are no places in town that take used oil (very small town, polulation 730) the nearest place that i know of is 40 miles away.
    i think autozone takes it but not sure how much and will they steal another bucket of mine?

2. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I mix it with the lawnmower gas. Smokes like hell and pisses my neighbor off bigtime /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

3. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

Buy one of those oil pans that is completely enclose and you can seal up. Once it's full take it to Autzone and they usually have a large barrell in the back that they will empty your container into and give it right back to you. If they don't have one tell them to GET ONE!!! /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Mix it with a little gas and it burns really well. Nice for killing weeds along a fence line /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

5. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I took about 10 gallons to Wallmart last year..
    They made sign some things.
    It didn't cost me a thing.

Oil change stations like Lube Stop..take used oil too.

6. big83chevy4x4

big83chevy4x4 3/4 ton status

mixing with gas would take along time /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

15 gallons is quite a bit. ill call a few oil change places today see if they take oil. i just don't want them to steal my buckets, that what i put it all in after i drain the oil out of the vehicles.

walmart...40 miles away. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I have a bud that has an oil fired heater in his shop. It uses some kind of catalyst so there's no smoke or smell coming from it. He hasn't bought natural gas in years. I think the heater costs him $1,500 10 years ago but it has saved him more than that per year from not buying gas.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

Ours goes on our road /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

We live on a right of way dirt road that serves 3 families and 2 cemeteries. We live in the township but there is no access to us except through the borough. So several years ago the township decided our tax dollars weren't enough to warrant us getting any road maintenence. Well over memorial day we can easily get 100-300 cars going by and everything I own that's outside gets covered with dust. So a couple times a year we oil the road to keep the dust down. I'm also respnosible for plowing in the winter and fixing water ruts after any big rainstorm.

I hate Snyder township /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

9. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

we recycle most of ours but some of it my dad used for chain oil in the chain saw

10. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Mine goes into a 55 gal plastic drum. Once its filled i'll start another. I envision an oil burning heater in the new shop that is coming. If not, around here you fill two drums and they will come empty them for you for free.

11. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    I have a bud that has an oil fired heater in his shop. It uses some kind of catalyst so there's no smoke or smell coming from it.

[/ QUOTE ] I bet it's a smudge pot. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

We produce probably 50-75 gallons of used oil per year just here on the ranch. That doesn't include our 14 semis that hold about 11 gallons a piece. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif I use some of it to lube the chains on our John Deere combines and the rest I dump in a 55 gall drum that is in the back of my service truck. I have a guy come and pump it out of my drum for a small fee.

12. TSGB

TSGB 1 ton status

I put it in another vehicle!

I did reuse my girlfriend's old oil in my knocker when I took it to the shop... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

13. nvrenuf

nvrenuf NONE shall pass! Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    I did reuse my girlfriend's old oil in my knocker when I took it to the shop... /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I've never heard it called that before. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

14. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

Getting rid of fluids here in Massachusetts sucks so bad. It has to be in the perfect sized container and costs money to get rid of. I know of a lot of people who just dump it in there back yards now because it is such a mother f'er to get rid of.

15. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

Its not a big hassle to get rid of drain oil around here--all our local landfills and transfer stations are required by law to accept it from residents with proof of residency.no dump stickers or fee is charged for oil,batteries,scrap metal and glass--some towns do put a limit on how much you can bring at one time though.I usually give my drain oil to a few garages who have waste oil heaters(they have become rather popular here,so much so that one garage pays you to bring it to them,not a lot though)--and there are greenhouses down the road from me that accept it to heat their greenhouses free.I keep a gallon or two here to fill my squirt type oil cans(I filter it through an old sock)and use in my chain saw,also use a little each time to light my wood stoves in the shop.When I change oil in the winter and the stove is going,I put the filter right in there with the wood--it burns cleanly and VERY hot!--one winter I used the large cartridge type filter elements from big diesels like macks as logs for fuel in the wood stove at a large steel building we worked at--a local semi garage had over 100 of them to get rid of--as long as the fire is going good with a bed of coals,it burns like a gas log in a fireplace!,and we saved all the metal mesh from them for recycling also(a few pieces got nailed to the wall for a sheetrock patch!).I also use some drain oil on my trucks frames and undercarriage as a rust deterrent--any left over oil goes into my friends trojan forkloader at the scrapyard,it leaks pretty bad,and hydraulic oil is expensive--all told I have no excuse not to dispose of it properly--they make it fairly easy.You do have to supply your own containers,and sometimes you have to leave them along with the oil.I use large liquid laundry detergent bottles with the wide mouth lids and screw on caps--I hate milk jugs with the push on caps,had too many of them pop off if you put the jug down a little too hard,and I've had a flood in the bed of the truck more than once due to that style of cap-(oh well,at least it will rot more slowly!)-only screw on caps are accepted at the landfill now.Its much better than years ago,when most people would pour in in sewers,or bury it in the backyard--after I moved here and took up metal detecting for a hobby,I found over 20 rusty oil and tranny filters,a small block camshaft,a 57 chevy hood ornament(!)and several battery terminal ends and at least four sets of bedsprings--and this was a vacant lot and apple orchard when we moved here!. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

16. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

I have a farm and have lots of equipment that stays outside. I pour it on the plows,disks, and like equipment to keep it from rusting. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

17. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

18. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Autozone will take it for FREE, up to 5 gallons per day (and they will bitch if you bring more but they'll still take it) and yes they'll give you your containers back!!

19. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I manage the local Autozone..............so I just dump it there.

When customers ask what "we" do with it, I always tell them that we just dump it down the toilet at night. It's always good for a few laughs. (until someone calls the EPA) /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

20. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The reality is that Safety Kleen comes to get it, and Autozone pays to dispose of it. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

I used to manage an Autozone myself.