Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you get with a shackle flip?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by odoa3, Apr 13, 2004.

1. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Newbie question! Can someone explain the reason for doing a shackle flip? What do you get out of it? Pro's and con's of doing this? I have been seeing this done alot on here and thought I would figure out if it was for me /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif Thanks

2. 75-K5

75-K5 3/4 ton status

You net about 4" of lift. There's not many cons, except it can sometimes be a little unstable. If you order one from ORD you should have no problems with it though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

you get either 2.5" or 4" of lift, same ride as before unlike swapping springs and becoming stiffer, no blocks so axle wrap is not there, and it is relatively cheap to do.

4. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I bought mine from ORD. Pretty simple to do. spend the extra money and buy the greasable bushings too! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. PerdidoK5

PerdidoK5 1/2 ton status

Is there a shackle flip for the front also, or only the rear? (Are new springs the only way to lift the front suspension?) /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

The front is already setup like that, shackle hanging down in rear. It is recommended to use springs up front to keep your caster the same , and for safety. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. shaun

shaun 1/2 ton status

There is axle wrap and loding and unloading of the shackle when taking off. But you also net some awesome flex

8. odoa3

odoa3 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys, now I just need to figure out how high I want to go.

9. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

is there no one here who does it the old way. i hate to mention free, but it does work. sure there are dangers, but if you're confident enought to the the ORD one you can do the free way as well. just cut out the bottom and a little off the back and flip the stock shackle over and voi la, shackle flip. /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

remember this is not as strong as the ORD kit is, but there are ways of strengthining it by welding a top support brace and or reinforcing plate. plus remember since it wasn't engineered to do this stock you may need to add in a degree shim to smooth out any vibrations. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

but what do I know, two and a half trucks fliped and counting. and only the half had the ORD kit, which I took off due to new rear spring pack being un-settled. atlas 10" spring pack what ya gonna do? add in a block to cover the other 4"(I was planning on keeping the flip kit) and go home knowing the back end is 14" above stock. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

10. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

like this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rene

11. tweaker

tweaker 1/2 ton status

if only i had done it like that, the longer springs off of my 89 k1500 would be way better. but alas i must sell them with the lift kit and save some poor sap the trouble of doing a add-a-leaf.

nicely done though /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif