Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you guys have for headers/mufflers?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by klier, Jun 26, 2000.

1. klier

klier Registered Member

Hey Guys...

I'm wondering what all of you guys use for an exhaust system on your K5's with 350. I'm having a dual exhaust installed on my '86 Chevy Blazer (Heheh, but the frame is a 1974 - that's what the title says too), and want to find out what system you guys have, how long you've had it, what you think of it, and if you would do it all differently, what would you go with?

Thanks for your input!

Brian Klier
    Faribault, MN
    brian@kliernetwork.net
    http://kliernetwork.net/truckproject

[​IMG]

2. Boss

Boss 1/2 ton status Author

Flowtech Afterburners, with Dual Dynomax exhuast system. 2.5" pipes. Pipes go all the way to the rear tires and sticks out the sides. I love them. Wouldn't change. Not much noise with the Dynomax, but lots of power. I don't like too much noise personally though.
    Boss

3. BigBadBowTie

BigBadBowTie 1/2 ton status

4. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

My system is about 4yrs old and I have Headmen headers(witch have the smog pipes welded in that I don't need anymore now that the law changed my 72 is exempt[​IMG])
    2chamber FlowMasters and 2 1/2 inch pipe. My header flanges are becoming warped and I think it's due to the fact thease headers are kina thin so the next set I will get a thicker header............

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

5. Chris Demartini

Chris Demartini 1/2 ton status

<font color=blue>Dynomax headers, custom-bent dual pipes, and cheapo burnt out x-brand turbo muflers which are getting replaced by flomaster 2 chambers in the next week or two. the only thing i would change is the muflers (they were on when i got the truck) but i like the Dynomax headers, i haven't had any gasket problems yet</font color=blue>

6. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy 1/2 ton status

For now I run the stock manifolds and Cat, with a flowmaster from a mid 80's trans am modified with custom bend tail pipes. I have a pic attached of the whole exhuast system...

BlazerBoy
    http://generalblueballs.coloradok5.com

7. 1TUFF89

1TUFF89 1/2 ton status

My '89 has a 40 series Flowmaster muffler with 2.5" duals out each side in the rear. This past Friday I installed a CarSound cat. and it sounds great. The high-flow cat really allows the Flowmaster to perform at a higher level. More power on the throttle and you can definitely hear me coming!! Flowmaster is a great muffler for sound and breathability.

Chevy's RULE!

8. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

You know I always hear guys talking about how their headers leak and warp all the time. I had headers on a '79 Blazer I used to own and I got really lucky. It never leaked, I never re-tightened them and they were the cheapest Western Auto headers I could find. I knew I wouldn't be that lucky twice, so I stuck with stock manifolds on my '73. The manifolds go straight into 2.25 inch pipes back to 2 chamber Flowmasters and tailpipes that exit high and out the side after the rear tires. Since I don't have cats, its pretty loud, but I love loud exhaust. Its perfect...I don't want to change a thing. I have to admit my cam makes the exhaust sound pretty nice too. lol

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

9. chaka73

chaka73 1/2 ton status

I run Dough Thorley headers with dual exhaust soon to be 40 series Flowmasters with 2.5" pipe exiting behind the rear tires my headers have been great and I wouldn't change them for anything else, and besides I only paid $150 for my headers from a friend and he installed them too so I got a good price on them, I just have to wait and see how the flowmasters work.

check out my new site, thanks Steve!
    http://chaka73.coloradok5.com

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

do those cheap @$$ headers like the 89.99 ones that summit sells, are they any good?

Bigger is Better
    Cameron Burnett
    82 Jimmy

11. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

They are very thin and in time WILL warp, witch causes sealing issues. Some cheap headers last longer than others, so I'm gona gofer something in the middle price range, I can't justify 600 bucks for headers and I have the 99 dolor specials that are now warped and leaking, so I figure 300bucks on something that is coated and is a full size header will be my next header perchase.

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG] Led Zeppelin
    http://burt4x4.coloradok5.com

12. 4x4blazer

4x4blazer 1/2 ton status

I have cheap @#$ 89 dollar headers from summit, 2.5" duals, no cats, glass packs, and 24" echo tubes that exit behind each back tire. Had this set up for about 3 yrs and wouldnt change a thing!

84 K5

13. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I've had Flowtech Afterburners Ceramic Coated Headers since january. I'm very happy with them. I didn't lose any low-end torque. I also have an H-pipe, but I don't know if it's helping anything at all since I had to install it behind the transfer case due to clearance. After that I have two Flowmaster 40 series mufflers and pipes exiting behind the rear tires. The whole system is 2.5".

I think the Flowtech Afterburners are a good choice since they are not pricey nor cheap and are ceramic coated and good construction.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

14. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

Dynomax headers going into a Dynomax 2.25" dual exhaust then through Dynomax SuperTurbo mufflers. This combo works great for me with great low end torque as well as good horsepower over the whole powerband. It might be a bit quiet for some people though, but I don't mind being nice to my neighbors sometimes(my extremely loud '67 Cougar screws it up the rest of the time).

15. Todd78/87

Todd78/87 1/2 ton status

Running exactly what Boss is running,,, Flotech Afterburners, 2 1/2" into Dynomax's Love 'em

Todd 78/87[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Alaska Bound

16. jcg

jcg 1/2 ton status

Where did you guys buy the ceramic coated Flowtech's and what's an average price for them??

Joe
    Rochester Institute of Technology Team Mini-Baja
    88 Jimmy

17. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

hedman headers, dual 3 chamber flowmasters, 2.5" all the way to exit behind the rear wheels.
    i had a blazer 10 years ago that had hooker super comps (bought them cheaop from a friend). i liked them better.

Knife.

18. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

On my '70, I run 2 1/2" Corvette rams horn manifolds (available for about $70 each, through GM Performance Parts dealers). With 2 1/2 pipes and 3 chamber Flowmasters, exiting out the sides behind the rear tires. With these manifolds avialable, I would never screw around with headers on a 1st gen. Blazer. Probably can't use the center dump manifolds on a '73 and up, but it was the factory set-up on 1st gen. (2" rams horns).

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350