Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you guys suggust for subs and amp?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by **DONOTDELETE**, Nov 14, 2001.

I have a 1980 K20 and I currently have a Panasonic CQ-DF401U face (45x4) and Kicker Impulse 6.5" speakers in the doors. Just fork kicks I wired the whole deal with 12g. So now I am looking for a LOT of good clean bass. I was thinking two 12" subs and a amp to fit would be nice but due to the limited space behind the seat I cannot get a very big box. So maybe two 10's instead? I want to spend $600 or less on subs, amp and boxes. What do you guys suggust what brands of subs and what amps to match them? Should I get two 12's or two 10's? All the info you could give me would be great. Thanks

If it aint Chevy it aint worth anything.

1. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

My friend had an 1980 F*rd ranger(fullsize) and he had everything from 2 10's to 2 12's just have to get use to having the seat forward a click or two. You may want to make a cardboard template to see how much room you actually have to work with back there. His was one big box which ran front side to side and came up even to the back of the seat, he even counter sunk his amp into it for a cleaner install. I would look at getting 2 JL 12 W 3's and a JL 500/1 amp. My friend(same one that had the F*rd) is running this in his 91 GMC Jimmy and it wails!
    Just my .02 cents.

And welcome to the best 4x4 site on the web!!!
    (we can say that now that we are back in first!)

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

2. Thanks for your help, If the amp is 500/1 then cant it only go to one sub or do you splice it? Also where is a good place to look at subs and stuff to buy on the net that has good prices. Thanks

3. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

You'll get more help tomorrow when the audio experts are on,LOL
    <blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

If the amp is 500/1 then cant it only go to one sub or do you splice it?

<hr></blockquote> you just run them in series , or is it parallel. It's too late for the brain to work[​IMG]

<font color=red>Life is like a mud hole:</font color=red><font color=blue>
    When the S#!T gets deep, you have to keep moving and friends can always pull you out</font color=blue>
    55 Willy's

4. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

a good set of 10"s sound damn near as good as 12"s. Alittle tighter in my opinion, but im not all about massive sound as much as i am about quality.

-matt
    <font color=blue>86, 350, 33's</font color=blue><font color=red>Lop Sop Doi Off-Road</font color=red>
    www.chevyhedk5.tripod.com

5. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Conf,

In something with a small interior space like a pickup, you will probably do just fine with a couple 10's....it will save you a little money, they will be easier to fit in the limited space you have, and will probably sound "tighter" than 12's.

It is tempting to buy stereo gear over the internet, but for example I know JL Audio has NO authorized dealers that are allowed to sell on the net....so you end up with "greymarket" stuff. If you have a problem, you are on your own....no warranty. It might make more sense to buy from a local shop who can support you if there are problems.....depending on the brands you want, a "Good Guys" or "Circuit City" type place can have very competitive prices, and they have a 30-day return policy on almost everything.

-Greg72

6. Thanks, well I think I am definitly going to go with the JL Audio stuff a couple of my friends have them and they sound awsome. I am not compleatly sure of what size though either two 10's or two 12's. Thanks for your help

7. Itali83

Itali83 1/2 ton status

I just put 2 10' in my Jimmy. I made one ox for the two and I really like it, they definitly pound if the right music is in, but I listen to more real drum oriented stuff so they are really punchy also. I'm happy with my system. Amp, subs, box, and every wire I came in at 500 bucks. I made the box and got the subs at a deal because they were open, so you won't get them that cheap, but still, it can be done for not a TON of money.
    Ben 87 Jimmy
    <font color=blue>Rust=Bad</font color=blue>

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I have two 12" Rockford Fosgates. I like them, but the four cubic foot box they're in just has to go.

I have a cheapy 800 watt amp that does really well. I cranked down the gain to right where I like it and it works well.

If I had the choice though, I'd rather have two or three 10s instead of two 12s. 10s sound better in my opinion, and three 10s would probably hit harder than two 12s anyway.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

9. 87chvy4x4

87chvy4x4 Registered Member

i dont if the y have virtual tech boxes where your at but around here we have virtual techs not sure whats in side supposed to be muti ported and chambered boxes but i have 1 10 that out beats my friend 2 12 in his car box mines in a truck box behind the seat

RiVeR CiTy OfFrOaD

10. taterblazer

taterblazer 1/2 ton status

Some places online to look are:
    thezeb.com
    onlinecarstereo.com
    uscaraudio.com

I have no experience with these dealers but have been looking at them.

11. 91gmcjimmyCH_IL

91gmcjimmyCH_IL 1/2 ton status

I'm not going to tell you my opinion cause i ttruely believe that if you like the sound of 30 dollar radioshack subs over everything else then those are the subs for you . what I'm going to do is offer you relatively knew 2JL 12w6's in a proffesionaly built sealed box carpeted in light brown. Selling them because my amp doesn't work any more and Money now goes into more functional parts of my truck. They are for $350 and i'll even give you the rockford fosgate 800a2 in hopes that you could fix it easily.