Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you guys think about a 383 stroker w/tunued port injection

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by doonjumper, Apr 3, 2001.

1. doonjumper

doonjumper 1/2 ton status

My engine blew a few days ago and I was kick'n round this idea. It would give me 400 lbs of torque and 400-420 hp. The guy that built my 700R4 said that it should be able to handle at least 400 hp.

2. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

If you plan on useing the spider-like factory tuned port. Keep the cam mild. The o.e. T.P.I. was made for a 305, and retro fitted to a 350. I think the A.M. T.P.I. sys would be better for a 383cid

Twiztid

3. doonjumper

I would buy the systym from a guy who buys these systms from GM cause they have wiring problems and he fixes them and sells them. It comes with all brand new parts from GM for $2000. I contacted comp cams and gave them the specs and they set me up with a good cam: Intake/479 Exaust/486. Intake/212 Exaust/218 @50 duration. What do you think? Oh and they gut burns a new chip according to these specs.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I'm starting to do some research for my new motor, and a Tuned Port 383 is one of the combos I'm considering. I don't think the stock TPI hard parts (plenum, runners) would have a problem with a 383, but it probably would need different injectors and a custom chip. The cam would probably need to be a custom grind to make the most of this combo.

I'd love to figure out a way to run TPI on Vortec heads and stick them on a long-rod 383...can you say "locomotive"?

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

5. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

Not to disagree with jarhead. (jarhead replys have been on the -money- in the past) I think the old style T.P.I. sys. would be limited in air flow with the long runners and small dia. tubeing. That would limit the RPM of the engine. Since H.P. is a function of torque and RPM then the est. 400 hp might be alittle on the high side. If you want the torque and lower RPMs (in the 3500-4000 max) than this sys would work well. Think of it like a diesel, extreamly high torque but limited RPMs make for lower HP numbers.

As for cams, keep the intake/exhaust over lap to a min. By getting a cam with less duration. and wider lobe sep. angles.F.I. engines do not like a choppy idles, screws with the M.A.F. and M.A.P. sensors.

Jarhead, check out "trick flow 23 deg." alum heads, they have a fastburn like chamber shape. Also I think Elderbrock just came out with a alum vortec like head with the old style intake (or I could have just been dreaming)

Twiztid

6. mattman

mattman 1/2 ton status

Saw in Chevy High Performance yesterday that Scoggins-Dickey Chevy is releasing a TPI to Vortec head manifold. Apparently the Corvette guys are clamoring for it. Just passing it on......

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've got a TPI 383 in my K5 and love it! The aluminum 'vette heads have been ported, the manifold base and intake plenum have been ported and the oversize runners are from John Lingenfelter. Those long intake runners on a TPI make boat loads of torque, but be looking for another gear by 5500RPM or so as they start falling off fast above that.

I've got a Comp Cams TPI grind, don't remember the specs, but it was the middle of the 3 grinds that they offered at the time. It's suposed to make around 385 HP and 400 lb/ft on an otherwise stock TPI 383. I upgraded the injectors to 26 lbs/hr (I think, it's been a LONG time since I put this thing together!) [​IMG] The engine will run with the stock chip, but one that "knows" about the changes will make it run much better!

Mashing down on the skinny pedal is downright fun! [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

8. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Err, ummm, how do I say this - DO IT. Have TPI on my 406 SB and it screams! Holy cow, there is NO doubt TPI kicks tail. The guys are right, you need a custom chip for the optimum performance but there are lots of sources for them. We upgraded my injectors to 24 lb/hr and they are plenty.........now don't know if they would run out of juice over 5500 but IMHO there is NO need to run these motors that high anyway, unless I guess you are mud bogging and like abusing your poor little mousie motor!

We used a Compu Cam 288 (not sure of the specs) but it is roughly comparable to a ZZ4 cam.

We (my engine builder) and I are still frankensteining my chip, he is using my truck as a guinea pig of sorts to test out some new fuel map curves and new programming, so far the latest chip (in the truck 2 weeks) kicks serious tail ONCE WARMED UP. For some reason it is cold blooded for the first 2 minutes of driving, then it rocks.

By all means go for it..........if you can, get that new intake mentioned above and go with Vortec heads............that would rock. Pics of my motor on site below..........click and view.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

9. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yeah...Mattman. I heard the same thing up at Doug Rippie's shop a few months back (He's a big Vette guy... has released many hot rodded versions similar to Ling. and Macho).

[​IMG]
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI

10. doonjumper

I guess I should mention that I'll run Edelbrock's alluminum 64cc heads with K/B 12cc D-dished pistons.

11. CaptCrunch

I have been kicking this around.... thinking about running down to TPIS in Chaska and asking about it.... so Harry Blaz... you guys just wire in the stock ecm w/ custom chips... what did you guys do for fuel pumps? Intank or inline?

[​IMG]

12. CaptCrunch

I have been kicking this around.... thinking about running down to TPIS in Chaska and asking about it.... so Harry, Blaz... you guys just wire in the stock ecm w/ custom chips... what did you guys do for fuel pumps? Intank or inline?

[​IMG]

13. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I used the stock '87 Corvette engine wiring harness. Had to make maybe 6 connections between it and the truck harness. My fuel pump is mounted inside the frame rail, just above the rear axle. It's a huge Bosch pump that was OEM for a 12-cylinder Jaguar.

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>
    It's a great day to be alive...

14. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Using a Painless Wiring Harness (very neat, easy connections, etc.) to a 1990 ECM, custom chip made locally, with an inline pump mounted to the frame back by the rear axle. Inline filter just after the pump...........

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>