Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you guys think about Pro Comp lift kits?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tin man, Oct 30, 2004.

1. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

I had an 85 Blazer with a 4" Rancho kit. I loved the ride. I like a stiff ride. It cornered better than stock, and I felt like I had better control of the truck. I also loved the off road performance. That truck burned up. Now I am the proud owner of a '74 Jimmy. I am looking for a good quality 6" kit. I want similar performance. My brother says Pro Comp. He hasn't installed his yet so I have no tested opinion. What do ya'll think. Any input is appreciated. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. muddysub

muddysub 1 ton suburban status Staff Member Moderator GMOTM Winner

if you like stiff you'll like pro-comp. i hate these fawking springs!

3. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

they are just like poop in a bucket. well except the bucket.

4. afroman006

afroman006 1/2 ton status

But poop in a bucket is squishy, and aparently pro-comps are not. Anyway, on the recomendation of the people here, I got a set of 6" Tuff Country springs for my burban from ORD and love them. Ride better than stock (I had 3/4 ton springs and now I have no sway bar) and flex prety well. BTW I have a 350 and a Warn M12000 up front.

5. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

I run the Pro Comp 4 inch kit . I have never installed the blocks , my truck has a shackle flip with Gabriels in the rear , and I put the rear kit shocks up front , my PSI on the street is 28 . I do not see these as a rough ride . My stock springs were not saggy and rode worse . It is a controlled nice for a solid axle truck ride . And they flex really good , in fact with the disconnects undone I hit my inner fenders . I don't think anyone who ever rode in my truck has complained either . /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

6. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I rode in a truck with 6" Procomps. It road like a dump truck. I am running Tough Country EZ Ride HD's (4") and they are to stiff for me. They have started to soften a little but the HD springs are to stiff IMHO. The standard TC EZ Rides may be better but the HD's are nothing to right home about.

BDS makes a pretty good spring too. My buddy Matt (az-k5) as 4" BDS's and they ride Ok. Not as bad as mine but not like a Cadillac either.

Harley

7. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

Well I have 4" BDS in my K5 and they work awsome, only thing better would be a custom pack. I put 6" pro comps in my dads crew cab and even with a 454 and a winch it rides like junk. Stiff as hell. I would never recomend them to anybody. I have had rancho, rough country, BDS, and pro comp, in various rigs. BDS are best and pro-comp is worse than rough country IMO.

8. zx672

zx672 Registered Member

Had 6" procomp springs w/Rancho 9000 on my old 87 K5 and they where really stiff (felt every crack in the road). Got an 84 K5 now w/Superlift 6" EZ ride springs with Bilstein 5100s and can't be happier. Its all about preference....

9. FRIZZLEFRY

FRIZZLEFRY 1/2 ton status

I ran a pair of Pro Comp 6" front springs for a long time and I realy liked them.But I liked mine because they were cheap,not too stiff,and flexed good.I wanted to lower my truck a bit and I bought Pro Comps again but 4".Couldnt be happier with them either /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My truck rides like a car with the Pro Comps /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

10. sickquad

sickquad 1/2 ton status

I second the poop in a bucket. Not a five gallon pail though. We have these big 200 gallon vats that chemicals are mixed in at work. That is what pro comps are. 200 gallon vats of poop.

I had them on my jeep and didn't learn and put them on my first chevy pickup. Both vehicles were 200 gallon vats of poop.

-Chris

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I had an 85 Blazer with a 4" Rancho kit. I loved the ride. I like a stiff ride. It cornered better than stock, and I felt like I had better control of the truck. I also loved the off road performance. That truck burned up. Now I am the proud owner of a '74 Jimmy. I am looking for a good quality 6" kit. I want similar performance. My brother says Pro Comp. He hasn't installed his yet so I have no tested opinion. What do ya'll think. Any input is appreciated. Thanks /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

If you liked your Ranchos, you'll like the Pro-Comps. I have had the Ranchos and they're pretty comparable.

I sell ALL of them so hit me up when ready.

12. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

If you liked your Ranchos, you'll like the Pro-Comps. I have had the Ranchos and they're pretty comparable.

I sell ALL of them so hit me up when ready.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to be PM'ing you

13. tin man

tin man 1/2 ton status

I really appreciate all the input. Thanks for the replys. /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

14. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I have a 6" pro comp lift...and it SUCKS! It is vry stiff and doesn't flex worth a darn. Not to mention their prices are a rip off. If you want a stiff ride I would go with a much cheaper brand with the same crappy quality like genuine suspension (basically pro comp parts) or superlift. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Genuine Suspension = Explorer Peo Comp

Superlift is not stiff. It has a horrible reputation around here and I have no clue why. I have had their 6" springs on my rig for quite some time and I think they're just fine.

16. ZZ4x4

ZZ4x4 1/2 ton status

I had a 4" Pro-Comp lift on my F350. I thought it rode like poop at first. After about 6 months and adding Rs9000s it started to feel better. My friend put on a 6" Superlift kit on his F350. Man was that thing poopy. On my K5 I tried to get smart and researched all the spring rates of the brands. The lowest spring rate listed was the Tuff Country springs. I bought em and put em on. Very poopy still! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. You just can't win with lifting via leaf springs. Lifts with coil springs are amazingly un-poopish. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif