Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you guys think? Ford buy out..

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by boggerless, Dec 19, 2006.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

my brother inlaw is an engineer for Ford. he has only worked there about 9 years so he has no real time in. he is in his 50s with lots of medical problems. diabetes,etc.Ford offered him a buyout at $1500.00 a month. and no medical.obviously he makes way more than that.the thing is he might not have a job at all in a few months.so at least its something.well he turned it down.....:eek1: i don't get it.what would you guys do?

2. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Take the $$ and look for another job. I thought that they were offering those buyouts to get rid of people in a "friendly" way before moving to a "less friendly" way.

3. chalet2506

chalet2506 1/2 ton status Premium Member

take the dough. My cousin had the same kind of deal with TXU energy down here. He passed, and they eliminated his job about 6 months later.

4. boggerless

thats what i say.its better than nothing,like hes going to get.it will keep a roof over his head until he finds something.:confused:

5. boggerless

see,and the most he would get from un employment(once hes eligable) is $1456.00 a month.and then he would only get that for a year. i'm not sure how long he would get the buy out?

6. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

yeah how long is the buy out? 1500 would pay for good medical insurance, at another job, that may not offer it.

or hell dake the money an move the hell out of Detroit, (if that is where he lives)

7. boggerless

thats a good point Dave.it could pay the ins. if the other job doesn't. and he is thinking of moving outta the detroit area. North Carolina is what he is thinking.but his wife refuses to move.

8. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

what is it about that city that charms the weirdos into living there?

9. 79k20350

79k20350 3/4 ton status

All things considered id take the money and run:crazy:

10. boggerless

HEY!!!!:haha: :haha: well aboot 100 years ago detroit was THE place to be for work.up till aboot 10 years ago people made $22.00 an hour to push a broom.those days are long gone.Mexico and China are getting all those jobs.and you know what? i really don't feel sorry for any of the idiots.the Union priced those people out of the market.i know everyone isn't a looser in the union but i know alot of asswipes that used it to there advantage.and good for them.lets see how they live now.now that they can't be a drug addict at work and still get paid$35.00 an hour to put a bolt in a hole.:haha: this whole area thrived on the auto industry,and we are feeling the end right now.they used to restructure the company to fix it. now its send the work elsewhere.lets see $35.00 an hour or $2.00 an hour???:thinking: we voted out afirmative action in mich,lets see what happens to the unions.a guy i grew up with makes $40.00 an hour as a pipefitter. when my cousin worked for the same company delivering the pipe he made $9.00.cuz he was not in the union.:confused: and half the places he delivered to he was not able to get into cuz he wasn't in the union.its biting them in the ass now.