Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you guys think so far?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Apr 19, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Modeled my K5's frame pretty closely in Solidworks and came up with this. Yes, I know it's only half of a vehicle, easier to do half and then mirror it. The axles are there too, just hidden at the moment. The front and rear of the frame are going to get cut off, just haven't done it in the model yet. Wheelbase is at 104". The way it sits in the pic it's at about 6'8" tall. Going to strip my truck over the summer and get started on a buggy/truggy. My body is falling apart from rust and trail torture. I'll probably be out for a year to two but I'll have something I can wheel for a long, long time when I'm done.

cab.jpg

cab2.jpg

cab3.jpg

cab4.jpg

2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

nice work mikey

3. boz42

boz42 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

looks good i realy like the those tires.

j/k looks good

4. mikey_d05

Haha, I really didn't want to take the time to fully model a bogger. It's doable but a waste for this IMHO. They're 39.5" tall and that's all I really care about. :p:

5. boz42

i figured that i just wanted to give u a hard time. your design looks pretty good to me.

6. mikey_d05

You've got a killer cage going yourself, anywhere that looks like it'll need bracing at the moment? The floor and firewall obviously aren't done but I'm looking for structural input at the moment and your pics definitely make it look like you know how to build a cage.

7. boz42

thank you, imho i think the only thing holding your design back is the stock frame, i know it is easier to build off of something that is already there, but that is the only thing holding u back. if u are dead set on keeping it that is alright & u can still make a killer rig.

are u going to use the stock floor pan & firewall??

i would consider pushing the engine back as far as u can & still keep a decent length d-shaft(maybe not that far but at least a few inches). the body is gone so cut the floor pan in two under the seats & take about 6" out of it & weld it back together. wieght dist. is were it is at. i moved my engine back as far as possible. also lowered it several inches in the frame. if u are going to run that bar down the center of the "A" post i would put an upside down "V" under it & tie into the top of the frame rails. i would als run a bar shoulder high parallel to the ground behind the seats from were the door bars tie to the "B" post to keep the "B" post from coming in in a hard side impact.( like the dash bar, but behind the seats)

8. mikey_d05

C'mon guys, there's gotta be more than one person with some constructive ideas. Here it is all mirrored and tubed out:

cab.jpg

9. 85mudblazin

85mudblazin 1/2 ton status

Good luck getting it that short and low with leafs.
    Other then that it looks like a cool design.

10. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

i like it, how hard was that program to learn?

11. 78Suburban

78Suburban 1/2 ton status

That looks very nice. I bet when you have your engineering degree you will be able to design all kinds of cool truck innovations :bow:

12. mikey_d05

85 - The rear won't be on leaves, the front will have to have some work done to it. Maybe 44044's and a very untraditional mounting setup.

Branndon - If you're computer savvy and have a little background, not hard. SW is $$$ though so if you don't have a friend of a friend you can get the educational edition (like $120 IIRC) but it stops working two years from the date you register it.

13. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I'd run a tube along the floor between the b-hoop ends... and then run tube from that up to the bottom of the "windshield A-frame". Add some beef... and you need a center console anyway, right? :thumb:

also, are you keeping the back end of the frame? looks kinda weird poking out back there...

j

14. mikey_d05

I'm going wheeling this weekend (the pumpkin's last trail ride, I can smell the carnage) but I'll put more detail into it and implement some of the suggestions early next week.

Jek - Gawd no. SW crashed on me and won't let me hack off the rear of the frame now like I want to. I'll do a little reworking of the model and try to get it out of there.

15. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

what no memorial day run now...I guess ill have to get the hiking boots out lol

Looks good mikey, I think I would rework the door area bars are bit I think a hard slam to the middle would bust that all up if its 4 bars like it looks. I think one angle bar from top back to bottom front making an isoceles triangle would work better then a 4 way tie in. Or maybe im just looking at that wrong.

16. mikey_d05

Alright, set the drivetrain in there, made some floor bars, console/dash, braces, etc. I didn't run a tube from the top windshield bar to the floor because I can't find any pictures of buggies that have them so I don't think it'll fold in as easy as everyone seems to suggest. If anyone wants the SW file, let me know and I'll do my best. It's over 10 mb so I'll need an alternate way to send it since hotmail limits you to 10 mb.

cab.jpg

17. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

www.yousendit.com the link lasts for a week. you dont have to enter an email address, just get the link and post it here

18. mikey_d05

Thanks for the link Branndon, can always count on you to come up with something like that.

Does that mean you want it?

19. BranndonC

BranndonC 3/4 ton status

sure, i haven't tried the program yet, but I learn best by opening someone elses work and tearing into it, and changing it

20. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

i guess there isnt that much room at the front for a radiator and winch. hmmm.

looking good.