Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you guys use to wheel around your tools at the junkyard?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Scott A, Dec 23, 2003.

1. Scott A

Scott A 1/2 ton status

My toolbox is too heavy to carry. And it's a bummer to keep going back to the truck to get a tool.

2. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

Wheel barrow. The pick-a-part yards here have them at the gate to haul tools in and parts out. Kids wagons work great too, and I have seen a couple of pneumatic tired appliance dollys with tool chests strapped to them being drug around.

3. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

After awhile, you know just what tools are necessary, and just take those in a bucket.

I have also strapped it to a pneumatic tired 2 wheeler....

4. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

I use an old high school sports duffle bag with the basic tools:

BFH
    2 diff sized cresent wrenches
    1/4" - 3/4" sockets w/appropriate ratches
    1 screwdrivers
    cutters
    few end wrenches
    allen wrenches

I think that is all i ever take, might be a couple things i can't think of off the top of my head tho /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. scrappyk5

scrappyk5 1/2 ton status

what i have done so far , is to do my walk , find what
    i need to pull off , then go back to the truck and stuff
    my pockets of all tools needed . /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    its worked so far /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. tarussell

tarussell 1/2 ton status

What I have found is that if you go in full force with every tool that you can lug out in the yard you may end up paying a little more because they know you are eager to get the parts and are willing to do what ever it takes to pull them .
    I use a small tool box or a old back pack and only carry the tools that are needed to get what I am looking for . I spent many years as a "Wrench" at a tranny shop so it is easier to determine what tools will be needed .
    I also go to the bone yards in my old P.O.S. Toyota pick-up and wear some old work uniform ( nothing nice ) and be very respectful to the guys that work in the yard ( even the STUPID ones ). It seems that they are much more user friendly to someone who is looking for one or two things and not someone who is looking to get a load of parts off of a vehicle.
    Anyway , I only carry the tools that are needed for that specific part and nothing more .
    Tom

7. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

I bring a wheel barrow and like the other guy said try to look as grungy and poor as possible. You price will be determind by 1) How you look 2) how bad they think you need a part. A liitle acting will reduce your prices drastically!

8. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

I carry the bare tools also. A roll of wrenches (1/4-5/4) pliers, BFH, cresent and maybe a few sockets. I also try to show the worst side of the part first. Even if they ask you to flip it over they know it's rusty (surface rust is a big issue here as we don't get much of it)

9. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I bought myself one of those craftsman tool bags. Works pretty good.

10. Hardcore

Hardcore 1/2 ton status

I use a soft toolbag. For biger stuff get an old wagon from a garage sale. An old rusty radio flyer will haul a lot of tools as well as engine blocks /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

11. axlehack

axlehack Registered Member

I picked up one of those cheap (and heavy) suede leather backpacks that I fill to the brim--a breaker bar just fits with the zipper closed.

12. Nonesuch

Nonesuch 1/2 ton status

I go to small towns and find the mom and pop bone yards, they give stuff away! Plus I can drive up to what I want to get parts off of. They just ask what you want and give you a price. Pic & Pulls suck!!!

13. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I use a small dolly and a bucket with one of those bags that hangs over the side that has pockets around it. It works good for the tools and it's small enough that you can weave in and out of the cars with it. I just use a bungy cord to hold it against the dolly. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

14. Jeremy_C

Jeremy_C 1/2 ton status

I always drive up to what i need an yank it off.

15. mr_fujisawa

mr_fujisawa 1/2 ton status

backpack with ratchet, crescent, screw driver, and leave the rest in the truck. if i need something else i go back and get it /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

16. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

the fork lift at the yard. but thats because i used to work for them. if i need something i just move the rig i am taking it off of up to the front and use thier tools. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    yeah, i spoil myself. when i didnt have this option i used a backpack with the larger not used as much tools. then a 7 gallon buchet with the common tools in it in one hand and then my 69 piece tool set in the other hand. i have only had one thing that with that setup i couldnt get off. it was an engine. and it was because i didnt have enough metric stuff with me. but i fixed that problem.
    Grant
    Grant

17. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i've been lucky i know people at the yards.most of them have mud a foot deep,so i walk on the cars /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif when i need to.and use thier tool's. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifto /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif