Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

what do you have to do to change a full time front end to part time with lock outs

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1HighK5, Mar 26, 2005.

1. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

I got my 8 lug Dana 44 today but it's a full time with the chrome covers over the hubs. I have a nice set of Warn lock outs that i was planning on putting on but didn't know it was a full time front end. What do I have to do to put the lock outs on? Thank John

2. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

just change e'm. i think.thats all i did on my 79. with a 10 bolt.:dunno:i have a 203 T case so it seems to make the hubs earn it even un locked.:laugh:

3. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

First off make sure that the axel You have uses either internal or external hubs. My 8 lug 44 came out of a 74 K-20 and uses the external type locking hub. Other than knowing which one You will need it's pretty simple since Warn lock out kits have all the hardware with them and instructions.

4. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Thanks How can i tell if it is internal or external?

5. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

I think that if you have the chrome caps, then it's internal. If so:

Use a screwdriver to pry the chrome caps off the hub. Inside you will find an internal snap ring, in a groove just inside the rim of the hub, there is an external snapring around the axle stub shaft, you will need to remove that too. Now, when you pull the snapring that's aroung the axle shaft, you might need to push the drive "hub" (don't know what it's really called, it's the chunk of metal in there that makes the axle able to drive the hub, splined inside and out) in a bit to get the snap ring off. After both rings are off the spring behind the drive hub will push it out. Remove the splined drive hub, spring, and a thrust washer that should be behind the spring against the wheel bearing. Now, take your selectable hub and stich it in there, put the snap rings back in there. With the one that goes around the axle, you may need to reach around the back side of the knuckle and push the axle outboard a bit in order to expose the groove the snapring goes on. After the snaprings are on, put the hub cap on and screw in the six allen head screws. Then you're done, with the first side. After you finish, you will see how easy it really is.

6. 1HighK5

1HighK5 1/2 ton status

Thank you that made it very clear