Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you have to do to find a job! Question about job hunting

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jjlaughner, Aug 7, 2003.

1. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

OK I have job hunted for 6 months online (actually closer to a year since I was looking before I left the old job). By online I mean local newspapers, monster.com and other local sites. I have applied to Hundreds, I called several to check in, I dropped off resumes to places I knew was hiring. I went threw the phone book and online searches and cold called, dropped by and dropped off resuems to most of the places within 30 miles of here. I have had a couple of calls and as soon as they find out that I'm unemployeed and just out of school they are like ok thanks for your time.
    I really dont want another JOB, I want a career or at least something I can work at and get a couple promotions and some training, experience, and of course make some money to pay off college loans that are coming up soon and this credit card!

SO, here's the question if your still reading....
    What did you do to find your job or what are you doing to find a job? I'm willing to relocate but I would rather not till I have worked there a little while and have some cash in hand.
    So what am I doing wrong? I went from passive to aggressive to about to give up! I know things are bad but come on, I've done just about everything except walk in, sit down and start working at some large business where no one knows the person next to them /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif

2. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

I guess that depends on what you WANNA do with your life. I went from making alot of money as a mechanic to as much money being a "stupid truck driver" less stress,no million dollor tools to buy, but no advancement. it is what it is. Found my current employer on line.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

hmmm i turn wrenches now and have a standing job offer at a place thats opening up in the near future as well as being able to go back to a job i had before should i need to, id say if you havent burned bridges, maybe go back somewhere to get money in hand so you can relocate if necessary..

4. 77Jimmy

77Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Hi. Not sure what you're looking to do career wise but here goes. My wife is a career counselor and everthing she has read and told me boils down to this...surfing the web and applying for jobs that way works about 5% of the time. My recommendation is to find some networking groups in your area and go and meet people. It sounds like you're putting in the work but maybe just focused in the wrong way??? No offense meant. I was laid off a while back and found my current position through networking groups. You've probably heard the old saying, it's not what you know, it's who you know. My 2 cents. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Firs off looking at your resume....your in the Craftsman Club? Cool...buy me some tools will ya!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

But on a more serious note, Make sure your resume looks just right. Some places won't even look past the first line if it is't put the way that they want. Have multiple people look it over.

Are you using a cover letter? Are you writing thank you letters after interviews? Are you just sucking at the interview process? (get yer mind outta the gutter) Have you taken these things to your local college Carrer Planning Center and have them look it over? How is the job market in your area? How are your references?

There are so many thousands of factors that go into this here process that you can be doing everything right and still not have a chance.

6. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

I agree. I recently changed jobs and was able to land a new job with basically a phone interview.
    1)The RESUME is the key to "hook" the HR rep. Keep it very simple and basically tease the company into needing to find out more about your experience. One page resume's are best. I have done alot of hiring and resumes are all too often jumbles of messy story telling with little focus and too many pages.
    2)If you have had interview and were not hired that suck it up that your interviewing skill may need a "tune up".
    a)Try to lead the interview. Nothing worse that quiet interview time because you have nothing to say so you wait for the next question.
    b)leading an interview is knowing what your will be talking about.
    c)A basic rule is have 3 and only 3 skillsets about yourself to share(hopefully related to job opening).
    3 questions for the interviewer....people just love to talk about themselves and the company they work for(also takes time). Finally have 1 and only 1 opportunity that you have to improve on. You must be able to talk about your continued development or learning.

if your not getting the job after a in person interview, you need to work on this.

7. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

if you need money, you might not do too horribly to get a `throw away job' for now, so you don't boil down into a massive debt like I did. I was laid off last august, and it took me 9 months to find my current job ( or rather, I took 7 months longer than I should have to put in a call to my grandfather, who's been hoping for 4 years I'd come out to work for him...) I ended up dropping my search for network administration, and computer jobs in january, and finaly took a job at the local circle K ( convenience store) . the pay wasn't exponentialy high, but 7.50/hour start wasn't bad, and I ended up at a nice quiet circle K, in a reputable neighborhood.

the good news is, the economy is slowly begining to turn around. the bad news is, it'll be about 6 more months before it begins to pick up. hang in there, and get something in the interim that'll help stave off going into serious debt.

-Rich

8. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Firs off looking at your resume....your in the Craftsman Club? Cool...buy me some tools will ya!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

But on a more serious note, Make sure your resume looks just right. Some places won't even look past the first line if it is't put the way that they want. Have multiple people look it over.

Are you using a cover letter? Are you writing thank you letters after interviews? Are you just sucking at the interview process? (get yer mind outta the gutter) Have you taken these things to your local college Carrer Planning Center and have them look it over? How is the job market in your area? How are your references?

There are so many thousands of factors that go into this here process that you can be doing everything right and still not have a chance.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well thats the thing, I haven't had any call backs (other then the one or two that said they where looking for something else). So no interviews as of yet.

Not really much of a cover letter, I change the resume to suit each place (or at least I did for awhile).

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's kind of what I'm thinking (errr... hoping)

The Craftsmens club is no longer (it was my network for jobs), it was a printing house society for indianapolis. Lack of membership and no new/young members to keep it going.

9. OFFRDK5

OFFRDK5 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Ah...cover letter. Getting a job is selling yourself to a company.

If you don't have a cover letter you might as well not send in the resume. The cover letter gets them to read the resume. Read: NO COVER LETTER = RESUME TO RECYCLE BIN

Even if you get a call back from a company that says they don't want you, you want to send them a thank you note anyway....they may pull your file again later for another job.

Also, call these people. Keep your name up there on their list. Not everyday....once or maybe twice a week. "Oh yea...that guy...he sounded interested in the job...maybe we should look at him!"

10. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

Look into a Laborors Union, Anyone can run a shovel....

They pay way better than McDonalds too....

11. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

yeah..you dont have to wait for them to call you back, i know its not exactly the same but its close, when i went for my first job at the grocery store i called a couple times a week to see if they had gotten around to my application and they liked my persistence and hired me..went from bagboy to lower management in under a year and they left me on the payroll an extra month so i got a vacation check..its the little things like calling back that get you the "in"