Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you hunt for and with what

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by heavy4x4, Feb 27, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Just curious as to what everyone hunts for here.

As for me:

Whitetail deer: .308 Savage bolt-action, scoped and Reflex Bighorn Hunter compound bow set at 68 lbs, shooting nice groups up to 40 yards (probably wouldn't shoot at a deer if it were further than 30 yards)

Ruffed Grouse/Duck/Turkey: Remington 870 Wingmaster (12 gauge pump)

Squirrels/Snow-shoe rabbit: Marlin Model 60 semi-loading 22, scoped

Once I'm out of college and have more time to spend in the woods, I hope to do a lot more hunting of every kind, but especially turkey hunting because I don't do a whole lot of it now (I'll get an 1187 12 gauge super magnum). And hopefully I'll get a black bear tag (Wisconsin has a points system...you have to apply for about 7 years before you can get a tag).

All of the hunting I've done so far has been in Wisconsin. I'd really love to do an out-west mule deer or elk hunt. Or even a Canada black bear hunt. One of my goals in life is to hunt all over the country/continent.

So, having said that, share with me what you hunt for, some experiences if you feel like sharing, and by all means, if you have pictures, let's see those too.

Hunting: it's not something I do, it defines who I am.

2. Muley

Muley 1/2 ton status

I just put in for Spring Black Bear and plan on using my Springfield 30-06. 165 grain boattail spitzers should get it done right nice.

This is actually the first time I put in for a hunt since moving to UT. Everyone here seems to have hunted with the same group of people for decades. I always feel uncomfortable asking to but in. No more however. I found my neighbor and his brother to go with.

I also have a Ruger 10-22. Really fun gun. Looking to add a 12 guage side-by-side and a .40 cal pistol in the near future.

3. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

The only thing I ever REALLY actively hunted was Pheasants in Potter County with an old Savage 720 16 gauge. I love that gun.

The Vice President comes here to hunt Pheasants by the way. All the secret service guys came to eat at the cafe where I work.

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I hunt tree's, rock's, and dirt. My hand canon of choice is my 50 cal. desert eagle. /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

5. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Not much into it right now; but once I make the move, then it's AWN!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deer, pheasant, quail, dove and once in awhile elk and maybe some antelope........

6. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Deer and elk, bear and cougar if they get in the way (get a tag every year now just in case) with a 70lb draw weight Browning Sierra compound bow. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

All in the great state of Oregon. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

7. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

For Deer, Elk, Antelope, Rem .308 and Ruger 7mm Mag
    Whwn I do archery for above game I use a PSE Sport flite 80+ lbs groups nice at 60 yards. Got a small Muley on the 50 yard pin couple of seasons ago.

For anything that flys I use my trusty ol 12 ga Mossberg 500 scatter gun and a lot of cuss words.

[​IMG]
    Got this Muley in 01 with my .308.
    Havent drawn a rifle deer tag in 2 years /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    Better get one this year.

8. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

WOW, nice! /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif I trust that one's hanging in your living room above the mantel? /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif

9. o2bjimmy

o2bjimmy 1/2 ton status

For deer, Whitetail and mulies I use a .270 remington pump. Also use it for antelope. Got a 357 maximum contender pistol Ive brought deer hunting too but never had an oppurtunity to get anything with it yet except for a few squirrels. Just recently I sold my ancient Matthews ultra lite bow and got a new MQ2. Havnt outfitted it yet but hopefully Ill have everything for it by Oct.

10. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

good deals at the meat counter /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

11. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Mostly Turkey- hard to find, their smart over here in NY- their moving into the city where hunting is not allowed-

You really dont need to bother with the magnum- some will tell you have to have it, but you can get by easily with some heavy-shot-. Stuff is miraculous. I use a 1970 High Standard compensated 12ga with adjustable choke. Its older than me. Still works. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Effective turkey kill is all about the chokes. At least in my opinion. Now if only they stopped running away from me....

Over here , we have to use slugs for Bambi- no buck shot. So you better be certain about your Aim!

Dunno what to do with squirrels. Their annoying as heck, but you dont wanna eat city squirrels. Their just giant furry rats.

I hear the country ones taste a lot better.

12. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Birds.

Pheasant, Turkey, Quail, and Dove.

Used to use my 1950s Belgium Browning Auto-5. That gun has been put away to give to my kid someday. Now, I use the more powerful, registered, knockaround gun, the ever so popular 870 Express. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. 4GUNZ4X4Z

4GUNZ4X4Z 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    For anything that flys I use my trusty ol 12 ga Mossberg 500 scatter gun and a lot of cuss words.

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

14. atlantak-5er

atlantak-5er 1/2 ton status

15. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

I won't ask "with what." /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

16. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Elk and mule deer, with the trusty Springfield 30-06.

17. chubbybob

chubbybob 1/2 ton status

deer and elk up in washington with my 338 win mag
    cant wait to move back up north for next winters hunt.

18. crawlink5

crawlink5 1/2 ton status

Deer. .308 (see pic to left)

19. oatsk5

oatsk5 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

deer elk cyote /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif sp 308 saiga

20. behemoth

behemoth 1/2 ton status

Whitetail Deer ..... Winchester M70 w/Bausch & Lomb 8X - .30-06 Sp. - or - Winchester 94 w/Bushnell 3-9X - .30-30.

Turkey ... Remington 870 SPS Super Magnum Camo - 12ga. 3-1/2"

Dove, Quail, Pheasant - Winchester Super X2 Field - 12ga.

Burglars, home invaders - Mossberg 500 18-1/2" barrel w/pistol grip. Empty chamber - then rack #8 bird shot first, then three double ought buck if I still don't have his attention. After that - then S&W 5903 9mm w/Federal (LE only) hollow points, then S&W .357 Magnum Mod. 686 (4in barrel) w/CorBon Hydro-Shock hollow points.

Personal conceal carry - Kel-Tec 9mm (or .40 cal. when I feel like it) w/Federal hollow points.

Beer cans, milk jugs (great fun filled w/water) - 10/22, AR15 (.223) and MAK-90 (7.62x39mm).

... and a bunch of other stuff for fun and games. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif