Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you know about BFG baja tires??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pismorat, Feb 1, 2004.

1. pismorat

pismorat 1/2 ton status

I might pick up a new set of 35x12.50 BFG baja race tires Tuesday, but I was wondering what the characteristics of them were. How good will they do in sand? mud? rocks? and on the street? They have been sitting for a year and a half, but I am getting them for about $200. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Only things I know is that they're not agressive, and they're VERY expensive.

3. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

They are a special compound. I know they are heavy, strong as hell, wear like wet soap, bulge like a catipillar D9, and most go fast guys would kill for a deal like that. As far as rocks go they don't grab that good, and flex horribly. Sand depends on the rig. High speed lots-o-horses and they aren't too bad, low speed low power and they might as well be on the trailer.
    This is my .02 and I can get the specifics from BFG if I remember.

4. fly_n_hi_yukon

fly_n_hi_yukon Registered Member

I know crew chief of CORR Pro-2 Champion Scott Taylor "Taylor Off Road Racing" and I can get BFG 35-12.50-17s for nothing. The only problem is the 17" rims. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif
    [​IMG]

5. BAJA_BLAZER

BAJA_BLAZER 1/2 ton status Author

BFG Baja T/A's are now offered in two designs. The original and most common is an agressive tread design similar to the Mud-Terrain T/A with large voids and self-cleaning side lugs. The new version, we call the "smoothie" has the same tread design as the Project tires that we race on. This is a closed tread design with square shoulders. Both have stiff sidewalls and two steel belts under the tread. I don't think either would be a good choice for rocks. The original ones are good in mud. The "smoothie" is okay in sand. Both are very tough and good for hard desert and prerunning and racing. Before the Project tires were available these were the tires of choice in all the truck classes. BFG sponsored race teams pay $150 each direct from BFG. The can be ordered through Discount Tire and others for about $325 a copy. I sell used (race on) Baja for $75. $200 would be a good deal and I would give them a try for that price. Check out BFG Baja T/As

6. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

The one thing that hasn't been mentioned that I've read from people who have them is they tend to settle overnight and they are wobbly for awhile until they warm up.

That's a great deal /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The one thing that hasn't been mentioned that I've read from people who have them is they tend to settle overnight and they are wobbly for awhile until they warm up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation (from personal experience): Can you say bias ply cold tire flat spots ?

8. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Translation (from personal experience): Can you say bias ply cold tire flat spots ?

[/ QUOTE ]

As you can see by time posted, it's pre-caffeine and I'm not responsible for the stuff I post /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif