Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

What do you look at when a rig passes you by?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by pilgrim, Sep 10, 2002.

1. pilgrim

pilgrim 1/2 ton status

Here's a strange post for you guys, but i have a feeling i'am not alone in this.

I don't know about anyone esle but i look at the axles. When i pull up behind an old chevy and see a nice 14 bolt a smile overtakes me thinking about all those years of faithful service. Or that beautiful dana 60 , a tear of joy wells up... Doesn't have to be chevy either , how about a six wheel drive cement truck with what looks like to me to be a oval center section on the front end, hmmmm, (that would fit great into the shortend school bus in my mind).
    I always give a long look at the restored j**p kasier M-715 down the street as i pass by.

So what you look at? the paint? the body? the tires? the blonde? Do you dream of what you could build out of it as you drive down the road?

2. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

The body and the tires. Lets you know if its show or go.

3. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

Tires. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

4. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

The 1st thing I look at are the axles too!! COOL! A big old truck will pass by and my wife says "look at the big ol truck honey"..and I say...aww it only has 10 bolts... Or I find myself pointing stuff out to her that she cares nothing about...like "look at that K30! they came with 60 fronts ya know...."

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I look at the paint, tires,and axles.. I see some people with 1 ton axles and 35's (or bigger). They have no front driveline? I have 10 bolts with 33's, but yet I still take my sh!t off the road. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

6. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I also look for lift blocks front and rear...

7. bigoltrux77

bigoltrux77 1/2 ton status

well here in Houston i look at the front end drivetrain. Im still in high school and there are alot of kids with lifted trucks. What blows my mind is when you hear about this one kids really badass 4x4 then i look at it and its only 2wd. But he tells everyone its 4wd bc it looks like IFS. I make a big production then walk away. But i also look at tire mostly. That tells me if they ar serious. Boggers All the WAY!

8. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    "..and I say...aww it only has 10 bolts... Or I find myself pointing stuff out to her that she cares nothing about...like "look at that K30! they came with 60 fronts ya know...."

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!! that is what rita and i will say.

Rita will come home and say something like, "i saw this chevy on 38's today at school and it was IFS with a 10 bolt."

she identifies the ten bolts because "they look like toothpicks" (she says it! not me!)

I can usually call out what is slung under a rig. We don't bother looking at jeeps, tho. they all have 1/4 ton axles, like D30's /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

9. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

Well I agree with you guys on the axles and meats but mostly I look at the whole potential of the truck.Most of the time we will be driving down the freeway and my wife will say god look at that old pos and I will say oh man thats a beauty when most people see a rusted out 4 color dented up rig I see a new restoration project like seeing a 1967 chevy stepside 4x4 before and after a rebuild gotta love the nostalgia .There is a guy in town with a 1970 k-5 that is beat up to the hill rusted to the point of unbelief but he knows what he has and I have offered him up to $1500 for it and he wont budge ..now that's respectable........

10. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Usually tires, since lifted rigs are taller than me, its the first thing i see. Then i look for exhaust, there seems to be ALOT of exhaust systems around here that are just plain goofy looking. And im always looking for ideas i can use on my truck.

11. BigBluOx

BigBluOx 1/2 ton status

I look at the whole rig and size up it's potential or look for ideas for mine. Doesn't matter what brand, style or how old it is. My focus is on functionality though, and not 'style'. Due to the size of my wallet, I can't afford stuff to 'pretty' up my rig when that dollar could be better spent on the 14-bolt I so badly need!

Jon

12. 4x4dreamer

4x4dreamer 1/2 ton status

I look at the hubs, tires, axles and shocks. You can tell if their show or go. Auto hubs..probably not that serious, nothing like a nice set of Worn out Warn's. Crome axles or diff cover...NOT! I like a nice set of Bogger's and it helps me shop around for my next set of tires. Same with Shocks.

13. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I look to see if the lady driving it has a nice rack or not. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Seriously, when I come across another truck, I always check to see which tonnage rating it is.

Of course, the K30's always make me giddy like a school girl, but when I see another nice K20, or even a K10 and K5 (if they are built right), I seem to check them out, too.

Regardless of whether any truck is big or not, I'm always keeping my eyes open for another K30 on the streets. Try to keep track of them. Its once in a blue moon that you will see them on the streets since they are so rare.
    I always spot them front the front by the size of the D60 and the roof marker lights. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

14. NoSmog73

NoSmog73 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I look to see if the lady driving it has a nice rack or not

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto that remark wes.... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

But if I Am in my work truck (big rig) then I see if I can see down....There shirt...HE HE... /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

I always see the other rigs as what has been done to it that I can do to mine...mike

15. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

I'll be running 14ff with 37's with no front drive line.. When I change the rear I wont have the bucks to swap the gears... since my 12 bolt posi is smoked and running on borrowed time I can live with no front drive for a while.

thats WTF for me anyway

16. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

Im always looking for garage engineering ideas from other guys rigs... I find myself scopin out toyotas around here.. dang kids are comin up with some damn fine ideas...

The first thing I see is dirt, or no dirt...
    I cant stand a truck thats tooo clean....

17. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

for me i look at axles and see what it has for tires.if i see it from the side i coulnt the lugs to see what what tonage it is.the other day i seen a dropped k30 4x4.sorry wes,someone wrecked that truck.it looked like it was running on the rims the tires were so small.haha.just doesnt seem right to see a 4x4 or any truck for that matter dropped.unless its a rice burner.then i could really care less.they were made for to be dropped.

18. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

I look at what kind of rig it is.....if it's lifted...how it sounds ....and then I think d@mn that would look/sound better on mine /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

19. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

i look to see if they've actually done something custom, or it it's all bolt-on. then i look at the axles being held up (barely) on 10 bolts or 8.8's. it's so sad. then i get this feeling of nervousness when the guy with 6" inch lift blocks on the !!!!!!!!!!!!!FRONT!!!!!!!!!!!!! passes me by. thank god for 1/4" steel i made my front bumper out of.

20. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Remind me to switch my 35's over to the itty-bitty Z-28 tires I have mounted on some 16" rims for rolling chassis tires. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

I use these small tires to lower a truck to make working on it easier. Believe me when I say these tires are small, I mean small as in the size of P245/50ZR16 mounted on 16 x 6 white wheels. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif